Question TV for gaming and sport £400-£700

thedon_1

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got an Xbox Series X arriving in a couple of weeks and so it's now time to upgrade my TV and get the full 4k experience.
I'll primarily be using the Tv for gaming, and watching sports and the occasional TV show via the relevant apps on the Xbox.

What's the best 50 inch TV in my £400-700 price range? I feel like there are so many good options, but so much to consider with pros and cons.

I've got an Xbox Series X arriving in a couple of weeks and so it's now time to upgrade my TV and get the full 4k experience.
I'll primarily be using the Tv for gaming, and watching sports and the occasional TV show via the relevant apps on the Xbox.

What's the best 50 inch TV in my £400-700 price range? I feel like there are so many good options, but so much to consider with pros and cons.

Hmmm so it seems I can get £50 off the Hisense U8Q at Costco. Best to stretch the budget and go for that?

I’ll be watching this thread as I’ve a PS5 on the way. Looking for 120hz capability.
ALLM and VRR would also be preferable.

Hmmm so it seems I can get £50 off the Hisense U8Q at Costco. Best to stretch the budget and go for that?
With a limited budget its the only pathway to get a TV that can display HDR properly.

Consider thought that every TV has its downsides, read the review and comments here: Hisense U8QF TV Review & Comments
I’ll be watching this thread as I’ve a PS5 on the way. Looking for 120hz capability.
ALLM and VRR would also be preferable.
All recommendations are in the guide linked above. Here is the link again:

HDR is priority with a next gen gaming TV, followed by HDMI 2.1 40-120hz VRR. Already ranked TVs in my guide based on that. ALLM comes on almost every TV in the guide with exception of the Hisense U8Q, but shouldn't be a big deal considering how much extra you get for the money otherwise. ALLM just puts the TV in game mode when you play a game, something you can do manually.

I've read some stuff about the motion blur on the U8Q, is this alleviated with settings?
If I wanted to ensure I don't have motion blue issues, is there a similarly priced TV I should consider?

From the info I've read the U8Q has no more blur than other TVs using 120hz VA panels. The issues with motion are more related to 50hz TV content, with some stutter/judder in places.

If you want to find a similar spec TV with as good HDR picture quality you have to spend more money on TVs like the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T.
If you want to spend a similar amount then the obvious alternatives are TVs like the Sony XH9005, or maybe if you can stretch to the Samsung Q80T.

The Sony XH9005 compared to the Hisense is not really a capable HDR TV, its brightness with HDR is low, so it may be problematic with HDR playback. It however doesn't have any noted motion problems like the Hisense does, and does come calibrated decently out of the box. The Samsung Q80T is a little better than the Sony, but again, not at the striking HDR picture quality level of the Hisense. The Samsung, like Hisense has reported motion issues, like with Hisense, owners are hoping they get resolved in an update.

It's up to you where you make the sacrifices, unfortunately there's no such thing as a perfect TV.

From the info I've read the U8Q has no more blur than other TVs using 120hz VA panels. The issues with motion are more related to 50hz TV content, with some stutter/judder in places.

If you want to find a similar spec TV with as good HDR picture quality you have to spend more money on TVs like the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T.
If you want to spend a similar amount then the obvious alternatives are TVs like the Sony XH9005, or maybe if you can stretch to the Samsung Q80T.

The Sony XH9005 compared to the Hisense is not really a capable HDR TV, its brightness with HDR is low, so it may be problematic with HDR playback. It however doesn't have any noted motion problems like the Hisense does, and does come calibrated decently out of the box. The Samsung Q80T is a little better than the Sony, but again, not at the striking HDR picture quality level of the Hisense. The Samsung, like Hisense has reported motion issues, like with Hisense, owners are hoping they get resolved in an update.

It's up to you where you make the sacrifices, unfortunately there's no such thing as a perfect TV.
Hi I was wondering if you own /watched any material on the hisense u8q as you recommended this TV, if so as reported a lot does the m
otion stutter all the time or just the odd occasion? Is it something you can live with, thanks for any help

Hi I was wondering if you own /watched any material on the hisense u8q as you recommended this TV, if so as reported a lot does the m
otion stutter all the time or just the odd occasion? Is it something you can live with, thanks for any help
I haven't seen the TV in action other than in a showroom so can't comment quite like an owner can. Motion is very subjective though, some reviews state the motion is a problem, some don't mention it at all. With owners some people notice, it some people don't.

If you are worried about it, buy the TV from a good retailer so you can return it if you aren't satisfied.

Also base your choice on what you watch; the TV is known to be most problematic when watching broadcast TV, so if you still watch a lot of regular TV instead of streams, you may be better sacrificing that HDR performance and going with a different model.

If however you primarily stream movies or TV on the likes of Netflix, Amazon , watch UHD Blu-Rays or game then its a much safer option, with motion hiccups only in certain areas with 24p content.

I'm thinking it might be worth just spending a bit more right now and get the Samsung Q80T. JL are giving £100 back via a voucher. I find it funny how the product pages on JL, Currys etc don't state things like HDMI 2.1, Airplay etc.

Am I correct in saying it has a single HDMI 2.1 port and Airplay 2?

Last edited:
I haven't seen the TV in action other than in a showroom so can't comment quite like an owner can. Motion is very subjective though, some reviews state the motion is a problem, some don't mention it at all. With owners some people notice, it some people don't.

If you are worried about it, buy the TV from a good retailer so you can return it if you aren't satisfied.

Also base your choice on what you watch; the TV is known to be most problematic when watching broadcast TV, so if you still watch a lot of regular TV instead of streams, you may be better sacrificing that HDR performance and going with a different model.

If however you primarily stream movies or TV on the likes of Netflix, Amazon , watch UHD Blu-Rays or game then its a much safer option, with motion hiccups only in certain areas with 24p content.
Wow what a detailed breakdown answer for someone who's only just a little bit clued up, thanks, and for anyone else like me seems to be problems with 24fpm especially with pan shots but can be corrected, the funny thing is I've got a couple of years old sony a Phillips and now notice the same on them, didn't till was looking/learned about motion judder here lol, maybe on sub £2000tvs we shouldn't be to picky and live where there little probs. Once again thank you

Wow what a detailed breakdown answer for someone who's only just a little bit clued up, thanks, and for anyone else like me seems to be problems with 24fpm especially with pan shots but can be corrected, the funny thing is I've got a couple of years old sony a Phillips and now notice the same on them, didn't till was looking/learned about motion judder here lol, maybe on sub £2000tvs we shouldn't be to picky and live where there little probs. Once again thank you
I can only rely what I've read and seen in reviews. There's no specific issue with 24p judder like with TVs running 60hz panels on the Hisense U8Q, but there are specific moments that can show stutter/judder which seems to be a problem with those particular scenes and something with the motion processing.

I wouldn't be too worried about getting the Hisense for film/TV streaming or discs, but more concerned getting it for broadcast TV.

If it was a case you could get similar spec TVs for a similar price from other manufacturers then there would be some good alternatives, but its hard to look further than the U8Q given how much you get for your money. It has the HDR performance similar to TVs like the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T.

A decision has to be made to step down to worse TVs with HDR, possibly even TVs not capable of displaying it properly, or spending more money.

I went for a 55” Q80T from John Lewis while the £100 gift card is on offer.. hope I made the right choice

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom