Question TV Setup Help for Older Consoles

D

Deleted member 836120

Hi, I am new and have sort of a AV noob question. I am a gamer struggling to get my TV setup right. Basically, I have a 1080p TV that I use for my game consoles. I own an Xbox One, PS2, N64, and Atari 2600. For input connectivity my TV has (2) HDMI, VGA, shared component/ composite, and coax. Now my problem is with this stupid shared component/ composite… a horrible design choice by the way. I have my PS2 connected via component to get the best picture out of it. However, my TV requires the red and blue component wires to be disconnected if the green jack is to be used as a composite (yellow) input. There is no option in the TV to manually tell it which mode to use, it just does it automatically based on what's connected. The N64 (and eventually my 2600) of course uses composite. So, this means that I am having to constantly unplug cables to use the PS2 or N64. I tried purchasing one of those cheap composite to HDMI converters, thinking I could just simplify everything by running it all composite into HDMI… but it looked horrible. Motion on the N64 was jagged and almost nauseating with the console connected this way. The TV itself does a better job of processing and displaying the composite input from my N64, and so far, this has looked the best. I would really like to keep the PS2 connected via component though. Is there some solution for this TV that will look the best as possible and not require me to have to constantly be unplugging cables in the back of my TV? I’ve already made countless Amazon returns trying to figure this out, but I saw this device (link below) and was wondering if it might be the solution. Just convert all my composite to component. Would this look terrible? Why in the hell did they have to take away connection options on the new “advanced” TVs?!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=76JC65VZ7ECXXHNEY872

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hello buddy,

In terms of your devices and the TV you have getting a cheap av receiver might do the trick as you can plug your xbox one into it via hdmi
. Your ps2 can be connected via component cable to the receiver with another component cable going to your TV so you can switch between devices .

Also the n64 you could use a composite wire red white and yellow which could plug into the receiver also . However you would be better of getting a scary cable for better picture and plugging that into your tv directly as you wouldn't need to constantly remove it . Hope that helps.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom