Tv Upgrade advise 40-50"

Fitz1985

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in an upgrade and looking at whats available in the sales etc. and would appreciate some input from owners / more experienced people. I've had a look round the shops today and it is very difficult to compare with the rubbish sources being fed and settings that are messed up etc.

Current TV: Panasonic AS640 40"

Budget up to around £800
Size: 40-50" (any bigger and it will look oversized in the sitting room.

I'd want it do a fairly good job of 4k HDR content without having other sources appear terrible.

Sources will be: 720/1080p directplay via plex on a raspberry pi or via tv app / youtube / Netflix / Amazon Prime / iPlayer
I don't play games on it

I don't really watch broadcast tv anymore.

Am considering the following: Sony 49XG9005, Sony 49XG83xx, LG 49SM9000, Panasonic 40/50GX800 maybe Samsung Q70.

Don't fancy OLED as I watch quite a few streams on youtube in the background which have overlays that would risk screen burn.

Also power usage and environmental creds are a factor too, disappointingly the Sony XG seems particularly power hungry compared to the others? If its the best I don't mind too much but curious as to why maybe?

From the look in the shops today, I'm not sure I can tell a massive difference between the two Sony's above, the Samsung was nearby and looked identical, something was up with the LG as people appeared blue - Is this something set funny with HDR?

Looking for something all round which is good enough to impress with a good Movie or One Planet etc. I prefer natural colours to anything overly vivid. I've been very happy with my current Panasonic.

Sony XG9005 is the best sub 55” on the market currently. Oled is out due to your size restrictions as they’re currently 55” and above.

Next best is the Q70.

Sony XG9005 no doubt about it.

Its more power hungry compared to the others because its the only TV that can get bright enough to display HDR to a good standard. Being brighter draws more power.

In non-HDR mode, it won't be as power hungry.

If you don't care so much for HDR content yet, go with the 49XG83 series or go even cheaper again like Hisense U7B or B7500.

Sony XG9005 no doubt about it.

Its more power hungry compared to the others because its the only TV that can get bright enough to display HDR to a good standard. Being brighter draws more power.

In non-HDR mode, it won't be as power hungry.

If you don't care so much for HDR content yet, go with the 49XG83 series or go even cheaper again like Hisense U7B or B7500.

Hi sorry to jump on the post but as I have the exact same selection I thought it would save another thread. I am between the Sony xg9005 and the Samsung Q70, what is it in particular that elevates the Sony over the Samsung? image processing?

TIA

Hi sorry to jump on the post but as I have the exact same selection I thought it would save another thread. I am between the Sony xg9005 and the Samsung Q70, what is it in particular that elevates the Sony over the Samsung? image processing?

TIA
The main difference is the Sony comes with a 120hz panel which the Samsung doesn't. So motion will be a lot better.

There's other small pros and cons, the Sony has a better anti reflection filter, but worse smart TV. Only 2 of its 4 HDMI ports are full bandwidth on the Sony which may or may not matter depending on what you plan on connecting to the TV.

The Sony has the more widely used dolby vision HDR support whilst Samsung have HDR10+.

The Sony supports eARC whilst the Samsung ALLM.

Thank you everyone.

I've compared specifications a bit more and trying to factor in a little future proofing too. I think that after watching a bluray again on my current set I feel maybe the Panasonic and more midrange Sony / Samsungs are probably mostly appear to just be a bigger tv and not necessarily a very noticable improvement in picture quality for a given resolution.

I think maybe next weekend I'll see if I can get to the local Sevenoaks which will likely be less crowded and probably have some decent quality sources to try on the Sony XG9005 and I'll decide to either buy or hold another year to see what the 2020 models bring. Although maybe even less choice for upper midrange / high end TVs in this size, the 48" LG OLED not withstanding?

Samsungs are probably mostly appear to just be a bigger tv and not necessarily a very noticable improvement in picture quality for a given resolution.
This is very true. The real gains are made with HDR material, to a lesser extend UHD material without HDR, since UHD really is more resolution than most people even need.

So its really worth only upgrading when you plan on using lots of that. HD, especially good quality HD like Blu-Rays will upscale well, but its still not displaying those sources natively, so you can't expect a lot from them.

48" OLEDs are due in 2020 but you can expect a premium for new TVs, so I'd expect at very least to wait until black friday 2020 for them to be reasonably priced, maybe even as much as 2021 Black Friday for the pricing to be reasonable.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom