Tweeter gone help/advice please.

I Love Dub

Established Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think something has happened to the tweeter in my right front Monitor Audio RS8 speaker. For no reason its started to sound very flat and all the sharpness has gone :( I even noticed it doing more measurements yesterday. Any help appreciated on what to do. how to check it etc Ive enclosed a measurement from the Audyssey sound chirp test and I think it confirms it, although Im no expert , there seems to be a large bit missing.

Thanks

Attachments

• broken tweeter.jpg
    broken tweeter.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 29
Disconnect speaker bridging links wire up treble only on both speakers play music and listen. Only treble drivers will be on so compare left and right

Disconnect speaker bridging links wire up treble only on both speakers play music and listen. Only treble drivers will be on so compare left and right
I can distinctly hear its not right. Do you think Im right in thinking that would be the big missing chunk on my picture I posted? Thanks. I shall look into what you have suggested. There always seems to be something :( Ive spent weeks doing stuff to my room/systems now this happens out the blue lol

Anp not providing clean power? I've only blown one treble driver that was with budget avr, since then gone with power amplifiers.

Anp not providing clean power? I've only blown one treble driver that was with budget avr, since then gone with power amplifiers.
Its brand new, about 4 weeks old. What do you mean clean power?
Thanks

Did it stop working under normal spl level or where you ramping it to nightclub levels?

Did it stop working under normal spl level or where you ramping it to nightclub levels?
I didnt notice it go. I was simply doing more room measurements using Audyssey. It was doing the 1st measurement (main listening position) and as soon as I heard the chirp sound I thought hang on, that doesnt sound right. It did my front left, centre then right. As soon as the sound test noise came out it was , flat, missing high end etc. I then out of interest looked at the result graph and noticed the missing bit starting around 2k

They have been moved a few times the past weeks but I am always ultra careful. I do have them loud with lots of sources, music , films ps4 etc but not daft that im pushing them or the amp to the max. Moving them is all I can think of. Ive been wondering what sort of shelf life tweeters have? Maybe a PS4 Call of Duty battle was too much after a few years of use.

Several decades.
Im going to try removing it and learn how I can check it/replace it etc. Ive had a quick look round youtube so far. Never done it before but im sure it cant be too hard if I follow them logically.

Contact monitor audio first if they're new speakers you'll void warranty if you remove it yourself.

Contact monitor audio first if they're new speakers you'll void warranty if you remove it yourself.
RS8's are about 10 years old. Thats why i was asking do you think maybe one has given up and needs replacing? I thought the graph might help someone on here help me out.

Switch the L&R speakers round and see if the lack of treble follows the speaker.

The something missing in your graph is not in the tweeters range though is it more lower mid range.

Switch the L&R speakers round and see if the lack of treble follows the speaker.
Ive done all the usual things someone would do in this situation in a process of elimination. I was hoping someone with more knowledge than me could possibly use the graph I posted to confirm my suspicions that its gone and I can look into getting a new one if needed. Somethings definitely not right.

You have triple checked wiring haven`t got loose at both ends, those metal bridges are in place etc?

Here is tweeter if it´s dead.
I checked all speaker wires this morning, snipped a few inches off and re-terminated them with banana plugs. Metal bridges were all checked as well. Ive been thinking from the start I need to open them up and have a look , ive just never had to do it too them or any speaker like this before.

I checked all speaker wires this morning, snipped a few inches off and re-terminated them with banana plugs. Metal bridges were all checked as well. Ive been thinking from the start I need to open them up and have a look , ive just never had to do it too them or any speaker like this before.
Northampton isnt too far from me. An hours drive : ) Im going to ring them for a chat

The guy was super helpful and gave me a few suggestions on how to check it and its in stock if needed. Great advice thanks Gasp. Much appreciated.

You have triple checked wiring haven`t got loose at both ends, those metal bridges are in place etc?

Here is tweeter if it´s dead.
Ive been out and bought a new multimeter. I removed the tweeter and its reading 6 ohms. Ive also removed each driver and these seem to be testing ok. What should I check next if I can? The crossover, caps etc?'
Thanks

Ive been out and bought a new multimeter. I removed the tweeter and its reading 6 ohms. Ive also removed each driver and these seem to be testing ok. What should I check next if I can? The crossover, caps etc?'
Thanks

Send email to this link and describe it to them. Fairly sure they know best what to do next.

[email protected]

Send email to this link and describe it to them. Fairly sure they know best what to do next.

[email protected]
Thanks Gasp. Ive been trying to read/google as much as I can past few days. I found a website called diyaudio and came across someone with the exact same sounding problem. Its kind of like my speaker has gone quieter a little bit. Its not noticable so much with music/films but when I do the level test tones and Audyssey test tones you can really hear it and the frequency response graph is very strange. I thought it was the tweeter at 1st but now thinking something else like what the guys on diy have been discussing. Thats great thanks, I never thought of sending them an email as the speakers are a few years old now. I did think of trying to ring them but will have to wait till Monday. I rang the chaps at Emporium Hi-Fi where I bought them from around 5 years ago. They seem to know their stuff. It was like walking into 5 scientists labs when I went there, oscilliscopes everywhere and a few huge converted grain storage warehouses full of vintage Hi-Fi. I was a proper Hi-fi novice at that stage but was blown away, they showed me round for about an hour : ) My RS8 were about the cheapest thing they sold as trade ins lol They said if i get stick i could take them there but its a 2 hour drive.

[email protected]
If your like me and love just looking at cool music stuff you should have a look on their site. Although I dont know what half of it is, its looks amazing and well worth a visit if anyone happens to be near by. Im not sure if you just turn up or phone 1st, I cant remember. It was my 1st dip into surround sound/hi fi and went there one day as a complete novice and the old guys were brilliant. Cup of tea, and let me walk round looking at everything. It sticks in my head to this day, one of the older guys said to me, becasuse they know im young and into DJ stuff and heard my car stereo when i pulled up lol When you want a proper Amp and not these new jap/modern rubbish come back and see us for a Tube amp lol I will get one one day :) Emporiumhifi.com

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom