Two Headset Mics in Parallel

Arthur Cerew

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I want to connect two (stereo)headsets at te same time to one laptop.
They both have to function fully, so phone and mic.
They each have a phone 3.5 jack and mic 3.5 jack.
I make a junction box to make it possible.
In view of the 32 Ohm impedance of the phone, it should be no problem to connect it in parallel.
But does anyone have experience in connecting the two mics in parallel?
Thanks in advance.

Your best bet would be a simple summing mixer, but the slight complication is that most headsets require power for the microphone.

Check how the headsets are wired and directly connect the headphone, ground and power in parallel. To sum the mic inputs without interfering with one another, a pair of 10k ohm resistors - one on each mic input should work.

Can you not just use an external mic or conference speaker? This might be simpler.

Yep. We probably are gonna apply an ext mic. Most simple. I was just wondering if two mics in par would work. In case an ext mic is not a solution. Ofcourse prof mics you never connect. But if it works for simple electret, they don't need power, so what.

Electret mics DO need a small biasing voltage and also a power supply for the FET head amp mounted on the back of the diaphragm. Most laptops and mobile phones supply 1.5V for this purpose.

If they were dynamic mics, it would be less of an issue to run them together, but you would get some acoustic interaction and cancellation.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom