UHD Files on 1080p Display

Webbserver

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for some advice please.

I have hundreds of movies stored in a MKV format on a Synology NAS drive, many of which are ripped from Ultra HD Blurays and with preserved wide colour gamut BT2020 and HDR.
I play back the files via KODI on my Nvidia Shield 2019 which is connected to my Marantz 7011.
The Marantz then hooks up to a HD Fury Vertex which feeds the HDMI to my LG B8 OLED (signal is passed through) and my JVC HD750 projector (signal is auto downscaled).

All the files look amazing on my OLED and the Vertex does a great job scaling to the PJ and HD material still looks great, but my issue is that the UHD MKVs look completely washed out on the PJ as it is only capable of playing them at REC 709.
I’m wondering how best to address this issue short of buying a replacement PJ which I can’t justify for a couple of years yet.

Are there any settings I can utilise in the HD Fury Vertex for example? I don’t mind spending a few hundred pounds on alternative equipment to see me through.
Any suggestions on solutions?

Last edited:
I'm no expert on the Vertex but I think it does have the means to convert HDR into SDR built into it. If no-one here can tell you use the HDFury discord thats were they do direct support.

Another approach is get an AppleTV 4K and InFuse it has built in HDR to SDR conversion but for that to work the AppleTV must not detect HDR support on the display.

So you have to use the Vertex to switch over to a 4K SDR TV profile to let InFuse to do the conversion.

If you have the bluetooth adapter this can be done via the mobile app.

Thanks for the Infuse Apple 4K idea. That’s a good suggestion. I can’t remember why I dismissed the Apple 4K over the Shield for streaming local content - does it support Full HD audio codecs and Atmos?
I’ve struggled to get confirmation on whether the Vertex can do the conversion- their forum for asking questions seems to direct you to AVS Forums so perhaps I’ll ask the question on their.

InFuse on the ATV 4K can decode HD audio to PCM 7.1 but it cannot do TrueHD Atmos.

Dolby Digital+ Atmos is possible but that is only from streaming services.

That’s a shame. That rules the Apple 4K out for me then unfortunately, as the audio is just as important to me.
Thanks

For anyone interested, further research seems to suggest that my only option is to add an HDFury X4 device to my HDFury Vertex or replace the Vertex with a HDFury Diva for an all in one solution.

Chain is Nvidia Shield > Marantz > HDFury Vertex (splits 4k HDR to OLED) scales to 1080p HDR > HDFury X4 converts to 1080p SDR > JVC PJ.
Its £300, but that’s a lot less than a new PJ and should keep me going for another year or 2.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom