UK HoverBOSS Build thread for Dummies

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HoverBOSS UK Shopping List and guide for dummies

So I’m a dummy, making a hoverBOSS so thought I’d share my simplified shopping list and thoughts.

Shopping List
4x Rockford Fosgate R2SD4-12 (more shallow, better performance than JBL UK-based drivers)
1x Behringer NX3000D
1x MiniDSP 2x4HD
1x UMIK-1 microphone
1x 14 AWG speaker wire (used this for longer runs)
2.5" Platinum Silicone Hemisphere Bumper ISO pads
1x Tweezers for fan replacement
1x XLR to RCA cable
1x Speakon connectors
4x Bicycle tubes
1x Noctua 80mm NF-A8 FLX
1x Wood which will support the drivers and sofa

Shopping list links

Rockford Fosgate R2SD4-12 - 12" Prime 400W Shallow Mount Subwoofer | Car Audio Direct
Amazon product ASIN B07GSB6CRCMiniDSP 2x4HD Pocket Size unbalanced DSP Processor | Kalibrate Limited | Home Cinema products, Calibration, DVD Players, 3D Glasses | Audio Systems | Cinema Systems
Amazon product ASIN B00N4Q25R8Amazon product ASIN B07RBN6CD8Amazon product ASIN B07N2QGS75Amazon product ASIN B00MRRQUIUNeewer 4-Pack Speakon Cable Head -Speaker Plug Twist: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01D5H8XOY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Michelin Cycle / Bike Inner Tube 16 x 1.5, 1.75, 1.9 MTB A/V Schrader Valve | eBay
Noctua 80mm NF-A8 FLX Premium Quality Silent Case Fan

when u do the holes for the hoverboss, make sure they're offset slightly closer to ur bum than ur knees so it shoots into your bum and not your knees or thighs.

a driver per seat is reccomended.

tuning wise hook it up to mini dsp2x4 hd and set your crossover w/e u want. 40hz is good. 65hz u have it active a bit more and is sweet but might add a bit of output where u dont want it. higher than that means ur a maniac... a good kind of maniac but u might get noise from drivers a bit at those frequencies.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You've got three threads basically covering the same thing. I can either merge them or delete two of them.

You've got three threads basically covering the same thing. I can either merge them or delete two of them.

Yeah delete the other 2 please. The others were just asking for this advice but I hope this thread will simplify the process for building a boss from the perspective of someone who doesn't do DIY at all.

I think I’ll be jumping on this bandwagon very soon.....

I think I’ll be jumping on this bandwagon very soon.....

Sadly my house move put this on the back burner as I'm not sure how big to build the platform so I'll be eagerly awaiting for efforts Mark as I'm sure you'll nail it.. then hopefully I can just carbon copy what you do. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have the parts etc. but they've been packed up for now.

I think at the very least, a hoverBOSS is something to be switched on for the odd film to make people genuinely smile at something they've never experienced before. For the price, seems like a no brainer. I did 4x fosgates on my list and from thorough research, that seems to be the right number before the addition of extra drivers becomes a waste.

I've watched a few films like Moana where I wish I had a hoverBOSS as I knew the bass impact should be there.. and the BOSS would have enhanced it.

Of course they are films like TENET where it feels like there is already enough... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 😂 😂

Sadly my house move put this on the back burner as I'm not sure how big to build the platform so I'll be eagerly awaiting for efforts Mark as I'm sure you'll nail it.. then hopefully I can just carbon copy what you do. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have the parts etc. but they've been packed up for now.

I think at the very least, a hoverBOSS is something to be switched on for the odd film to make people genuinely smile at something they've never experienced before. For the price, seems like a no brainer. I did 4x fosgates on my list and from thorough research, that seems to be the right number before the addition of extra drivers becomes a waste.

I've watched a few films like Moana where I wish I had a hoverBOSS as I knew the bass impact should be there.. and the BOSS would have enhanced it.

Of course they are films like TENET where it feels like there is already enough... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 😂 😂

good find on these speakers, nice shallow depth should make it doable for me.

going to get the tape measure out this morning, flip my seats upside down to see if I’ve got enough space to make it work, if I can, I’ll place my orders later. As I’ve already got a spare channel on my power amp, plus the minidsp, the only things I need are the speakers, plywood, feet and bicycle inner tube, for the cost of it all, it’s got to be worth a go (if I can make them fit!)

Pretty sure @sebna will be interested as well......

BOSS made!! I lost the bike tubes so I'll buy some more and add it in.

This is AMAZING. The bass feels EXACTLY like an extension of the subwoofer but on steroids. Its just amazing. IT will go from gently massaging you to shocking you. Incredible. Feels so natural and integrated incredibly well.

So good that my audio-hating family said 'i think u should buy another one for the other seating' ... can't get much more of a compliment than that lol.

Most definitely. Without it on (hoverBOSS) my system feels hollow.

totally agreed. Its as if one layer of the experience is gone with it off. A subwoofer does not touch what this offers, yet it feels exactly like a subwoofer.

Incredible. I think I could have got away with just one Mono 15'' with the BOSS lol.

Last edited:
I thought this was going to be a build thread? There’s no building at all, just a post saying you’ve done it! Are you going to add the posts detailing the build?!

Might be useful for some considering a build (goes live at 6pm)

Please STOP referring to the HoverEze as "boss". As the inventor of this technology, it's offensive that someone who had absolutely nothing to do with the invention of the HoverEze or "HeZe" has continually tried to appropriate it as his own, by attaching "his" marketing gimmick to it. I'm glad people are finding value & enjoyment from my invention, but PLEASE stop calling it "hoverboss"... Thanks! Marc Silverman "LongEze"

bump. i didnt finish this thread but the shopping list will get people 99% of the way there as it literally listed every single component i needed to make the thing.

converting the US components to UK components i found the most irritating thing.
ill do a link to a good video too which will get u 95% there.

the shopping list is probably the hardest thing, i'll update it if anyoone has any other questions.

@kenshingintoki - you want to clear out your inbox mate - tried to send you a PM, but got rejected as it was full.

If you use the innertubes I assume you don't need the silicone balls?

If it's "floating" on the inner tubes, does the seat move when you shift your weight or someone gets up/sits down or anything?

I'm fairly sure you need the balls as well, otherwise the platform won't be very stable.

@kenshingintoki - you want to clear out your inbox mate - tried to send you a PM, but got rejected as it was full.
sorry mate cleared it out now. its everyone flooding the inbox about hoverbosses :D

I think we're going to have a hoverboss revolution soon.

If it's "floating" on the inner tubes, does the seat move when you shift your weight or someone gets up/sits down or anything?

Not really. Its definitely has a slight degree of wobble or movement but its not going to start shifting all over the place - no. Its on 2.5'' clearance with the silicone feet, and its only enough space for the driver to do its magic.

The seat does feel different though, very very very slightly bouncy but I like it.

FYI no one has ever noticed it when sitting down so they think its a normal sofa. But me being a bit overanalytical can appreciate the slight change.

I'm fairly sure you need the balls as well, otherwise the platform won't be very stable.
Makes sense, and answers my second point.

Not really. Its definitely has a slight degree of wobble or movement but its not going to start shifting all over the place - no. Its on 2.5'' clearance with the silicone feet, and its only enough space for the driver to do its magic.

The seat does feel different though, very very very slightly bouncy but I like it.

FYI no one has ever noticed it when sitting down so they think its a normal sofa. But me being a bit overanalytical can appreciate the slight change.
I guess it has to be decoupled from the floor, otherwise it wouldn't work. And if it's decoupled then it'll move, by design.

I'm so tempted. I have almost all the parts, just need the drivers. And I have a two seater couch, so it's about as cheap as it's ever going to get.

What I really need is someone that's heard/felt <10Hz in room and has heard a well tuned HB. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be big user base.

Makes sense, and answers my second point.

I guess it has to be decoupled from the floor, otherwise it wouldn't work. And if it's decoupled then it'll move, by design.

I'm so tempted. I have almost all the parts, just need the drivers. And I have a two seater couch, so it's about as cheap as it's ever going to get.

What I really need is someone that's heard/felt <10Hz in room and has heard a well tuned HB. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be big user base.
I've only heard down to 9-10hz on my Monolith 15s as they obviously dont dig down lower.

All I can say is the HB destroys it 1000x over. Its really a totally different sensation and dimension to the film.. but at the same time its as natural and seemless that its also the same?

Personally I'd just build one. You can get pretty inventive and your ability to measure and tune is better than 99.99% of the forums. It will 10000% add a dimension to your room subs can't - and even if you don't like it much, you can tune it down to be ever-so-subtle.

I kind of fancy re-doing mine. One my drivers makes a bit of noise when driven hard.. but I cant be bothered to assess why... and i was driving it a bit harder than i should have.. lol....

i would definitely say it far surpasses the dimension of a subwoofer and enters an entirely new concept of home cinema equipment if i am to be frank - it offers a dimension and tactility which is a new form of immersion of the content supports it and if tuned properly. its tsctility but in its more natural and pure form.

the other thing i wanted to do is "wind theatre" they do on AVS but i gave up on that a year or so ago cos its a bit naff and i dont have space for the fans. and it gets cold in the UK lol

Does it need a physical attachment to the furniture, or can your sofa just stand on the plywood platform?
Also, what diameter inner tube would be recommended? I see Mark actually used a tyre as well, is that necessary?

Does it need a physical attachment to the furniture, or can your sofa just stand on the plywood platform?
just stand on it

You rang? :D

Don't over think it, it does move a little bit but if you get the air pressure balance right between the inner tubes and whatever rubber feet you use it's minimised. Initially the difference was obvious to me but with time you just get used to it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom