Question Understanding settings on Philips TVs, particularly Gamma

CraftyClown

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've just purchased my first Philips TV, the 55" OLED 754. The image is beautiful and the for the price this TV is exceptional. I am however I am struggling a little with the settings as they aren't as easy to understand as some other TVs I've used before.

I find it incredibly strange that the panels luminance is labelled contrast and put next to the brightness (black level) control, whereas the actual contrast (white level) control is put in an expert settings section. Ehh? That really messed with my head.

I've tweaked the settings using some basic calibration videos to get my black and white levels correct and turned off all post processing and the image looks pretty spectacular

The one setting I'm dying to understand however is the gamma control and how it relates to traditional gamma values of 2.2, 2.4 etc. The Philips menus go from -4 to -4, but I have no idea what that relates to.

Can anyone help me decipher Philips Gamma system?

Shame you never got a response to this question, which I too now need the answer to having recently bought one!

Philips Gamma 0 = Gamma 2.2. Increasing it increases gamma, while decreasing it decreases gamma. Adjusting the slider 1 step means ca 0.05 gamma i.e gamma +1 is gamma 2.25.

I realize the OP made this a long time ago but maybe it will serve some good anyways.

Philips Gamma 0 = Gamma 2.2. Increasing it increases gamma, while decreasing it decreases gamma. Adjusting the slider 1 step means ca 0.05 gamma i.e gamma +1 is gamma 2.25.

I realize the OP made this a long time ago but maybe it will serve some good anyways.
Thanks, so 2.4 is +4. Will be interesting to see if this is worth looking into for low light viewing.

Yes, +4 is more or less gamma 2.4, depends on the white balance as well. For example my average measured gamma on my oled706 was 2.39 when at +3. My preferred setting on Philips OLEDs is +1, this is what I have calibrated both my oled706 and oled754 with. OLEDs in general do better with lower gamma because of their perfect blacks, and risk over chrominance overshoot if set too high (transitions from dark to slight dark). LED/LCD could benefit from a higher gamma. Mostly it’s personal preference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom