Question Upgrade from Onkyo 607

digyerownhole

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

We have an Onkyo 607 which I would like to replace as it doesn't support 4K. Budget will be around £500.

Our speakers are Wharfedale Diamond;
Fronts - 10.3 (these are bi-amped)
Centre - 10,CS
Rears - 10.1

The sources are;
Sky Q 4K
Playstation 3
Wii (Original)
Media Player (HDMI)

TV is a 4K Samsung 7 Series
We use the Amazon Prime app on the TV as well.

I'm looking for recommendations for the Onkyo's replacement as well as the best way to connect everything together so that we can have the TV's apps (such as Prime, Netflix, iPlayer, YouTube etc) via the AVR as well.

Secondary question...
We've never had a sub attached to the system. I've not really missed it as the speakers seem to cope quite well on their own. Is adding a sub worthwhile and what will it do for us?

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• 20200113_114733.jpg
    20200113_114733.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 33
There are several receivers within your budget from almost all the major manufacturers. All will now pass through 4K. In that price range you may find that they are restricted to seven channels of amplification making for a 7.1 or 5.1.2 maximum. You will probably find the best room correction on the Denon AVR X2600 as well as ease of set up. Sony and Yamaha may be better for music if you will be playing any on the receiver. You are use to Onkyo and their models may be right for you as you are familiar with them. In that price range though the Denon does seem to come away with the plaudits. It's best you look at those models and try to get an audition.

One point I will pick up on and that is bi-amping. It brings, little, if any audio benefits by using the same receiver, you are actually passive bi-amping. All you are doing is reducing the power that is available to all those connected speakers. Bi-amping should be carried out by using a completely separate unit or perhaps bringing in the use of a power amp. This however does mean that you will have to look for a receiver that has pre-outs on board.

The lack of a sub, is in my opinion a mistake for a few good reasons. The first is that you are missing out on the LFE .1 channel that has so many low frequency effects that are built into the soundstage of films and many broadcast programmes. The second is that by using a sub that will release some power from those low frequencies as they will be driven by a powered sub. This frees up power for the mids and highs and can certainly help with dialogue. The third and last involves your speaker placement. By having a crossover of 80hz on those front speakers and the bass being controlled by a sub it could improve somewhat on what is a relatively poor speaker placement. You will be getting a lot of boundary influence on the sub from those front speakers.

In a small room and correctly placed the Gemini is a good little sub. I've been running a REL T5, not that much bigger than the Gemini in my room for the last eight years or so. Never going to shake the room of effects but does tend to underpin bass very well indeed. A sub will make a difference to your listening and the performance of your speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom