Upgrade from Xbox One X as 4K Blu Ray Player

Moxxop

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all... I‘m currently running an Xbox One X as my 4K Blu Ray player in my small ‘man-cave’;... I’m generally pleased with playback experience it provides; but its not ideal and I’m toying with the idea of upgrading to a dedicated player. But I’m not convinced I’ll truly see that much of a difference and it will be worth the expense.

TV is an LG 55SM9010 Nanocell; which provides Dolly Vision (but not HDR10+) ... and soundwise I’m using a Sony HT-X8500 soundbar. Plus I also have a Hue HDMI Sync box which will be in between the TV and 4K player :) ... I also use the Xbox for a little gaming also, so a dedicated player would sit alongside this.

In the living room I have an LG UBK90... which is ok, but really doesn’t blow me away. The picture etc is awesome, but I find the UI a bit dated & clunky, it provides no real ‘features’ and is actually quite noisy at times! ... this is hooked up to an LG OLED 55B7 (+ LG SL8YG soundbar).

I’ve looked at the various posts on here and YouTube videos etc... and the Panasonic UB450 & 820 are peaking my interest.

But back to the original dilemma - I‘m still not sure if I will really see that much of a difference and it will be worth the expense?

thanks - Andy

Last edited:
I have been wondering the same thing. I have just purchased a Samsung Q80R (replacing Sony 900E) and was wondering whether I should take a punt on a disc player that can work with HDR10+ but then I read some people in a different thread that DV isn't actually a massive step-up from HDR10 anyhow (I have no idea if this is true or not, just going by what I read) so I am not sure if it is worth buying a dedicated player for HDR10+. Gonna try out some HDR10 v HDR10+ comparisons over the weekend using the prime app from my Xbox One X and my TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom