Upgrade options from Yamaha 3070 to Separates

The processing is just better with a bolder and more dynamic sound that is immediately noticeable. You get the odd shudder through your bones which seldom happened with the Yam.

For instance, I was watching X-Files blu last night and a phone rang and the sound out of the right surround gave me a start. With the previous 3080 and Denon X7200WA I have been also using recently you just don't get those moments.

The bass is also tighter and more active. You would think it was coming out of the centre speaker. All very positive thus far.

Thanks, that's really interesting to read.

Did you do room correction with either or both systems by the way?

definitely consider an av processor in that case Id suggest :)

do you have a helpful retailer who can lend you one to get to experience yourself whether a step worth doing ?

some differences between AVR as processor and dedicated processor I have found... you literally rather than have sounds coming from speakers instead find yourself immersed in sound ... like a kind of bubble and with sounds moving around in space around you. ie more of a 3D sound field :)

I go hot and cold on whether to try one based on different things I read and different advice I get, the only sensible thing to do would be to try it and see what I feel rather than do endless reading!.

mtenga's comments are very interesting as its as close to my own set up (just using the yamaha for audio processing) as I've seen.

That bubble effect you describe is what I'd like to experience and I seldom feel it, of course it really depends on the audio track as well, as some do sound very good on my system.

I can't think of anyone near me who would loan out an Anthem AVM60. There is a dealer in Milton Keynes which is 50mins St Albans which is 30mins or so away who I've seen lend out higher end units in other threads and a big retailer in the North does send out units for home demo for a fee; both seem a bit of a faff.

My nearest dealer (15min away from whom I bought my projector) I see is selling the Arcam HDA AV40 and it's not impossible he'd be able to demo it. That's relatively new and £4k.

Last edited:
My nearest dealer (15min away from whom I bought my projector) I see is selling the Arcam HDA AV40 and it's not impossible he'd be able to demo it. That's relatively new and £4k.

worth an ask..as long as you are straight up and not wasting their time... I've never had a problem ... especially over a weekend or something where it would just be sitting at the shop doing nothing anyhow...most shops have demo units ....

Did you do room correction with either or both systems by the way?
Yes I would always run YPAO and Audyssey and also use anti-modes for sub correction. Quite often over the years I've just ended up turning Audyssey off.

Well my nearest local supplier replied with

Unfortunately we cannot offer a home demonstration of the AVM60 due to Covid19 restrictions imposed by the distributors.

Pity.

by the distributor ? never heard that one before :D

other fish in the sea ?

Can't deny I was surprised. I imagine the distributors of the processors costing 3-4x that wouldn't be so concerned ;-)

Those were my nearest and I like to try local first.

Just picked up an Arcam AV40 from my local retailer to demo. He doesn't sell Anthem, so that wasn't an option from him. He's a decent guy with a decent shop though so I'm willing to try an Arcam.

If I notice a difference over my Yamaha though I may try and get an Anthem as I've found at least two shops that will loan it out (under different conditions to my local shop).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom