Upgrade path from KEF T105 series / Onkyo 609

CliffordinWales

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on upgrading my set up?

I currently have a 5.1 system based around an Onkyo 609 receiver and the KEF T105 slimline speaker and subwoofer package all connected to a 10-year old 50in Samsung plasma. I want to upgrade the TV to a 65in OLED and simultaneously swap out the old AV receiver for something with Dolby Atmos capability.

I understand the 5.1 speaker set up won't give me the genuine Atmos experience, but adding yet more small module speakers for the height effects will be quite challenging within our current living room configuration. So I'm toying with the idea of selling the KEF speakers and replacing the whole receiver-based shebang with an integrated soundbar + speaker package, like the JBL Bar 9.1 or something similar. Is that a silly idea - would it be a big downgrade in performance compared to keeping the KEF T-series speakers and replacing the receiver?

Why not replace the amp to a more modern amp which allows for Atmos and them purchase a pair of T-101 speakers which can be mounted to the ceiling (if you don't wish to cut holes in the ceiling). You can also purchase some Atmos on-wall speakers to do the same job. This way, you won't have to compromise on downgrading to a soundbar from a proper surround sound system

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom