Answered Upgrading Blu-ray discs to 4K?

I always try and watch 3 or 4 blus A week if I can. Maybe a few more when the winter nights start drawing in

I'm lucky to watch 1 a week these days!

I must admit that enjoy watching a film when I know I won't get disturbed by the Mrs or the young ones on there phones and tablets , bloody hypnotized by them, so annoying

by the time i get around to thinking about 4k, 8k will no doubt be being touted, so i'll just wait for that.:)

i'm very happy with 1080p as it is.

I agree, 1080p looks great. I spoke to a fella in an audio shop the other week who said 8K is being developed in Japan already. Difficult to keep up with.

Can you play a 4K new blu ray on a standard blu ray player and plamsa or do you need a 4K player and UHD TV ?

Id like that new bram stokers dracular in 4K, no way am I upgrading all my blu rays already. I've only just finished from most DVD's.

I agree, 1080p looks great. I spoke to a fella in an audio shop the other week who said 8K is being developed in Japan already. Difficult to keep up with.

Can you play a 4K new blu ray on a standard blu ray player and plamsa or do you need a 4K player and UHD TV ?

Id like that new bram stokers dracular in 4K, no way am I upgrading all my blu rays already. I've only just finished from most DVD's.
Hi..you can play a " mastered in 4k blu Ray " on a normal blu Ray player but you will not be able to play a uhd 4k blu Ray on a standard blu Ray player when they get released I belive...As for Bram stokers Dracula, I believe this will be also released " mastered in 4k " on standard blu Ray with the addition of a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, lovely jubbly, I will definitely be purchasing this.

Hi..you can play a " mastered in 4k blu Ray " on a normal blu Ray player but you will not be able to play a uhd 4k blu Ray on a standard blu Ray player when they get released I belive...As for Bram stokers Dracula, I believe this will be also released " mastered in 4k " on standard blu Ray with the addition of a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, lovely jubbly, I will definitely be purchasing this.

Thanks mate, I'm not up on all this yet as I won't be buying or upgrading for a while. I would imagine bram stokers mastered in 4K will look great so will defo be getting this also.

Just to be absolutely clear "mastered in 4K" is just a standard 1080p Blu-ray. Nothing different from a regular Blu-ray. It is a normal Blu-ray.
It is NOT 4K. It is a standard Blu-ray.

The "mastered in 4K" Bram Stoker's Dracula just means it came from a 4K source. It is still just a normal 1080p Blu-ray, same as any other Blu-ray.
Imagine if I transferred a CD soundtrack to a cassette tape, & sold it as "mastered in CD quality" cassette tape...doesn't suddenly make the cassette CD quality, does it?

Just marketing poop to make people think they're getting something better/higher than 1080p, but you're not.

Only when the new UHD Blu-rays come out will there be 4K Blu-rays.

Just to be absolutely clear "mastered in 4K" is just a standard 1080p Blu-ray. Nothing different from a regular Blu-ray. It is a normal Blu-ray.
It is NOT 4K. It is a standard Blu-ray.

The "mastered in 4K" Bram Stoker's Dracula just means it came from a 4K source. It is still just a normal 1080p Blu-ray, same as any other Blu-ray.
Imagine if I transferred a CD soundtrack to a cassette tape, & sold it as "mastered in CD quality" cassette tape...doesn't suddenly make the cassette CD quality, does it?

Just marketing poop to make people think they're getting something better/higher than 1080p, but you're not.

Only when the new UHD Blu-rays come out will there be 4K Blu-rays.

You're right about what it is (a 1080P Blu-ray), but it's becoming increasingly clear that you can eek a bit more out of a film, if you scan and master in 4K, downscaling to 2K as late as possible.

It's also not impossible that the amount gained from keeping it to 4K until the end (ie. putting it in 4K on a UHD) may not bring that much extra, unless you're sitting unusually close.

Some of the comments I've been reading from the great and the good suggest that a Blu-ray Disc scanned and mastered in 4K, and played back on a 4K display, will look just about as good as you're going to get from standard 35mm film, and that keeping it at 4K on UHD isn't going to get you a hell of a lot better.

I'm not stating that as fact, this is just based on comments I've heard from a few notables.

Steve W

Yes, but that would also be equally true of any other 1080p discs with good transfers. It's not just limited to or something special about the "mastered in 4K" discs.

I have to say though, it took me a while to pick my jaw from the floor seeing Lawrence of Arabia "restored and remastered in 4K resolution" on my 50".

I will give it a couple of years, to allow time for the studio's to really understand how to get the most out of the format, but there are a few titles that I would like to see in HDR/DCI. From what I have seen of 4k alone, I have zero interest.

I will upgrade to 4k when the material kicks in and it becomes available for rental - or streaming is significantly better than a blu ray disc.

I would probably wait for a while in case there are any early hardware 'upgrades' that render 1st gen 4k obsolete/limited in some way.

With blockbusters gone, there isn't much chance to rent disc's anymore.

I will wait to see how streaming goes, from what I understand the current content in 4k isn't much different than BD quality.

Lots of chance with Amazon Lovefilm - I watch 3-4 films a week from them. Really hope they stock 4K at some point.

I will wait to see how streaming goes, from what I understand the current content in 4k isn't much different than BD quality.
I really miss blockbusters , I used to love going there Friday nights and getting the 3 rentals for a tenner on blu, guess I'm old school? Lol

Yeah me 2. I used to rent between 3 and 5 movies a week.

I am not sure why, but I was more adventurous about movies when I was renting. I guess it was getting to 2 movies and needing a 3rd for the deal.

I really miss blockbusters , I used to love going there Friday nights and getting the 3 rentals for a tenner on blu, guess I'm old school? Lol

Now three rentals costs about £1.50 :thumbsup: (If you max out the service)

I used to hold out on going to cinema so I could get a good rental haul from blockbusters and if I liked them on rental then that would give me the urge to buy them on blu Ray a few weeks later...now I just go on the reviews on these good forums and buy the blu ray before any previous views..hefty on the old wallet lol, but it's only paper, sod it

I'm upgrading ATM , I've had the JS9000 SUHD for a while and have recently got a Denon AVR 2200W ( also for Atmos ) and am just waiting for the UHD BD players to be released. I don't upgrade often but thought it a good time to do so.

As for the op question , I'll have to wait until I see the launch titles . I will also wait on reviews of said discs as I do with BDs ( mostly ) and not go blindly buying everything . That said I've found myself not purchasing to many BDs ATM so the arrival of UHD BD is having an effect on me . I can see myself being very picky when it comes to UHD BD as even though I've bought into it I believe it will be a niche market.

Nope not me. I won't be spending money on anything 4K. I have to stop sometime and already gone from VHS - Laserdisc - DVD - Blu Ray. I even got some Video CD somewhere.

Now three rentals costs about £1.50 :thumbsup: (If you max out the service)

The problem with postage services, is you need to pre-empt things. I liked BB because i could on the spot make a decision for what i felt like watching that day. Plus there is something about browsing through physical media that encourages you to spend money, once HMV/Virgin went away my CD buying habbits plunged.

The problem with postage services, is you need to pre-empt things. I liked BB because i could on the spot make a decision for what i felt like watching that day. Plus there is something about browsing through physical media that encourages you to spend money, once HMV/Virgin went away my CD buying habbits plunged.

Yes you can't choose that day - I generally have 10-20 films I want to see in my queue and usually watch them the day they arrive. I find it perfect for my needs - watched over 250 blus last year for under £100 -but always have this nagging feeling they are going to cancel the service - fingers crossed. Hoping they stock 4k if they get that far but may take a while to adopt.

Am I missing something here? Most if not all of those launch titles were only finished in a 2K post production stream (according to IMDB) so how are they releasing 4k versions of them?

I'm with nwgarret, you have to stop sometimes. I won't be upgrading my BDs to 4K just for the sake of it. Unless I win the lottery and as I don't do the lotto that will be never.

I have a golden rule, if I have a film on my shelf that I have not seen for over a year then it will not be upgraded.

I had over 700 VHS films (all gone to charity shops many years ago due to lack of space) I have several hundred DVD's and a few hundred Blu-Ray's now.

One of the main things I'm looking forward to on the new format is what HDR will bring to us, I found the latest video posted by AV Forums very intriguing. It's something that we can all enjoy without having to get a monster sized TV screen.

My first DVD player was a Panasonic A100 which came with 3 discs, Queens Greatest Flix I & II, Wallace & Gromit A Close Shave and Super Sense (BBC Documentary). I think there were only 3 films out the first week when DVD hit the UK and one of them was Batman & Robin which I bought as it was the best of the lot.

It was not too long before some good DVD discs came along, some of my early buys which were great have to be Blade & Ghostbusters. I especially liked the animated Menu's on the discs as well as the sound & picture quality.

I think it may be well in to early 2016 before some well worthwhile discs hit the 4K format, hopefully the new Star Wars Episode VII and later in 2016 Captain America 3 Civil War.

Either get 4K-UHD straight away and enjoy the new format or wait longer and enjoy the price drop on hardware and software.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom