Upgrading from a Sony X9305C - to what?

titanman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long time since I have posted on here. My current X930C is a fantastic TV, but I am sat 7 feet away and it is not close enough to view the detail in 4K. This is why I would like a 75 inch TV.

I can't afford anything too fancy. I have been considering a 75' LCD or a 65' OLED which may help me appreciate the picture more (can't afford a larger OLED).

I have considered Q70R, Q85R, RU8000, SM8600/9000 and X850G. For OLEDs it would be the C9. But then again, I don't know if I would benefit more from a 65 OLED or a 75 LCD.

Just to add I don't care about input lag. I play console games casually.

What are your sources going to be? For example:
Do you have fibre internet capable of UHD streaming? Yes
Will you be buying and using an UHD Blu-Ray player? Yes
Netflix? Yes
Amazon? Yes
Catch up TV? Yes
HDR games consoles? Yes
PC usage? Yes, maybe
DVDs? No
FHD Blu-Rays? No
Sky, BT or Virgin? UHD or HD? Virgin UHD
  • SD vs HD vs UHD use percentage? 5% 50% 45%
  • Movies, sport, console games, PC use in percentage? Movies, sports and console games equally
  • How close can you view the TV? 7 feet
  • Do you need to view the TV from the side or only straight on? Straight
  • What conditions do you view in? During the day? At night with lights on? In the dark? Both, but mainly dark room
  • What TV are you currently using and what are expecting to see upgrading to a new TV? Sony 65 KDX9305C
  • Motion - Are you interested in being able to use motion enhancements on your TV to reduce judder and/or reduce motion blur? Both frame interpolation and frame insertion let you do this, read more about it here. They both have their upsides and downsides, so read carefully. Yes and I love the soap opera effect. Sorry.

Please rearrange the following PQ attributes, in descending importance:

SDR Colour Saturation
HDR Colour Saturation
HDR Brightness
Blacks
SDR Brightness
HDR Colour Accuracy
SDR Colour Accuracy

Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:

Loss of detail in dark areas
Poor user interface (Android is sluggish on my current X9305C)
Not being able to see the detail in 4k from where I am sat (hence the need for a larger TV)

Now which is most important to you?

Price
Size
HDR PQ
SDR PQ

You definitely find value from higher end TVs such as the Sony 75XG9505 or Samsung 75Q85R with your sources. HDR games you'll be using HDR, UHD Blu-Rays you'll be using it, together with shows on Netflix and Amazon. The Sony will have the upper hand with sport as its motion processing is more widely regarded, it also has better picture accuracy than the Samsung.

The Samsung is probably the better overall TV, better local dimming results in less screen uniformity issues, better anti glare performance and would be the choice for console gaming since it comes with some HDMI 2.1 features the Sony lacks like Variable Refresh Rate and Auto Low Latency mode.

You definitely find value from higher end TVs such as the Sony 75XG9505 or Samsung 75Q85R with your sources. HDR games you'll be using HDR, UHD Blu-Rays you'll be using it, together with shows on Netflix and Amazon. The Sony will have the upper hand with sport as its motion processing is more widely regarded, it also has better picture accuracy than the Samsung.

The Samsung is probably the better overall TV, better local dimming results in less screen uniformity issues, better anti glare performance and would be the choice for console gaming since it comes with some HDMI 2.1 features the Sony lacks like Variable Refresh Rate and Auto Low Latency mode.

Thank you. The Sony is way out of my price range unfortunately. Only way I could get the Q85R is for £2k, which I am able to do through a Samsung discount code I have.

Would it be a waste to go from the 65 X9305C to RU8000 82?

Well that is a very lucrative offer for the Q85R so if you can afford it I'd definitely snap that up!

The RU8000 is more of a mid range model lacking any kind of real HDR hardware. If you want to use the new TV more for SDR then it would be suited more, but isn't the point of changing a TV also about enjoying the latest and greatest sources? In that respect yes it would be a little wasteful going for the RU8000 since it will not be able to display HDR titles as they are design to be seen unlike the Q85R.

If you wanted a compromise and spend less money but still retain better than average HDR, you should contemplate the Samsung Q70R, or the Sony XF9005, although the latter isn't going to be as good value for you if you have a Samsung discount code.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom