Upgrading from an AV Receiver for LS50

only_sleeping

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

As documented elsewhere on the site I'm trying to improve the sound from my KEF LS50, and am flirting with the idea of swapping my Yamaha RXA1010 AVR for a stereo amplifier. At the moment, some tracks are sounding a little too harsh, so I'd prefer something on the warm side.

I'd like some digital connections on the rear, as well as some sensible bass management if possible, as I connect a subwoofer too.

The budget is under £1000. I've discounted a few models:

Marantz PM6006 - PM8006 - No bass management
NAD C386 - Fixed crossover at 150Hz
Arcam SA20 - No bass management
Cambridge Audio CXA81 - No tone controls (deal breaker for me I'm afraid)

I haven't entirely discounted:
Marantz PM7000N (only 60 watts so I'm a little sceptical)
Yamaha A-S801 (fixed crossover at 90Hz, I'd prefer 80 but can probably live with this)
Arcam SR250 (though this currently a full £300 more expensive than it was last month!)

Would the above models provide an improvement on the sound from my LS50 and the RXA1010, even though in a few cases, they provide less power (I'm aware that the watts per channel figure isn't everything, but I'm generally a numbers guy so...)?
Does anyone have any direct experience with them and the LS50?

Thanks in advance...

It'sa shame you have such a specific list of requirements because, just going on the sound, I'd imagine the Rega Elex R would be a great match.

Instead of the AS801 why not the RN803, this has sub management, sub out, streamer built in and an entry level room EQ system.

However, if you can get the SR250 for £1k as it was a month or so ago then that would be my choice. This was £2.5k when it was first released and has the new G class amp iirc and DIRAC built in.

here is a second hand unit just over budget.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Musical Fidelity M3si

I haven't entirely discounted:
Marantz PM7000N (only 60 watts so I'm a little sceptical)
Yamaha A-S801 (fixed crossover at 90Hz, I'd prefer 80 but can probably live with this)
Arcam SR250 (though this currently a full £300 more expensive than it was last month!)
Refurb Arcam SR250 with 12 months warranty (from Richer Sounds)
Amazon product ASIN B08C36TGX2

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies folks.

I've done a little more reading and have been put off the SR250 by both the price hike and the reliability issues members have discussed in the thread on this site.

I think I might try and stick with my current unit for now, though when I have to upgrade might have to consider AVRs too, as the bass management and connectivity is so much better.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom