Upgrading old Mission FS2AV speakers - £2k budget

JMHM

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am planning to upgrade my current speaker system. Currently I have Mission 783 floor-standers for music and the Mission FS2AV surround & sub for cinema. Receiver is Arcam AVR250; music is routed through Zone 2. Budget is around £2,000. My plan was to buy a new Centre speaker, keep the Mission 783s for Front Right and Front Left, and buy two rear speakers and also a new Sub. I was thinking of Monitor Audio GXC150 for Centre, 2 Monitor Audio Apex A10s for rear speakers (they need to be wall mounted) and a Monitor Audio or BK subwoofer.
Questions - is it ok to mix and match Centre and FL / FR speakers with different manufacturers? Would it be better to buy something like the Monitor Audio Apex 5.1 system or b&w mt-60 instead of the above combination and maybe sell on the 783s? Just your thoughts and advice really!
many thanks

I am planning to upgrade my current speaker system. Currently I have Mission 783 floor-standers for music and the Mission FS2AV surround & sub for cinema. Receiver is Arcam AVR250; music is routed through Zone 2. Budget is around £2,000. My plan was to buy a new Centre speaker, keep the Mission 783s for Front Right and Front Left, and buy two rear speakers and also a new Sub. I was thinking of Monitor Audio GXC150 for Centre, 2 Monitor Audio Apex A10s for rear speakers (they need to be wall mounted) and a Monitor Audio or BK subwoofer.
Questions - is it ok to mix and match Centre and FL / FR speakers with different manufacturers? Would it be better to buy something like the Monitor Audio Apex 5.1 system or b&w mt-60 instead of the above combination and maybe sell on the 783s? Just your thoughts and advice really!
many thanks

Ideally you would want the front three to be tonally the same.

Actually GX50 and centre would be a great idea. I would probably use RX-FX rears to keep the cost down though.

Thanks for the advice guys. I know I should audition them, but how would GXC150, GX50 and RXFX + subwoofer sound compared to the Apex 5.1 system? Any thoughts on this?
thanks

I live in Ealing, west London so a bit of a trek, but thanks for the comments and the offer.

Thanks for the advice guys. I know I should audition them, but how would GXC150, GX50 and RXFX + subwoofer sound compared to the Apex 5.1 system? Any thoughts on this?
thanks

For music significantly better. For movies and gaming it will be closer if you get the set-up of the sub correctly on the Apex system and chose the right system.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom