Question upgrading SPEAKER and AVR advise

unknownsith

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m looking for some advice/best options. I have the upgrade bug which started with wanting a new AVR to now also wanting new speakers. I currently have a dedicated cinema room with an EPSON 9300 projector, 95” fixed screen, Yamaha RX-A1030 and KEF 3005SE 5.1 speakers. The room is small at 2.9 meters by 3.2 meters and square with a 2 seat leather recliner.

Im not overly bothered about Atmos but maybe a possible future decision. I’m looking at around a £2000 budget for both AVR and speakers but could push that further. I’ve also considered going for a mix of speakers where I could keep the KEF rears and upgrade the fronts and sub. So I’m looking for any suggestions of things that work well together or would make a good complete replacement.

thanks in advance.

Speakers are perhaps the most important aspect any set up and a move up from the Eggs, keeping a pair for surrounds, would bring a big improvement. That's exactly what I did with my 3005 Eggs. You could even do it a couple of stages by renewing the left and right fronts with another KEF model, the 3005 centre would work with them in the short term. Q350s would be big enough for your room, followed by a Q250C. Another alternative may be MA Silvers, different signature from the KEFs.

It's easy enough to get auditions of the major brands and such auditions are essential. As for subs, BK Electrics are the go to for quality and value.

Thanks for the reply, Ive been looking at just upgrading the fronts now I’ve looked into things a bit more. I’ve been a little too focused on recent reviews and have only looked at specific speakers. I’m now thinking to go for a pair of KEF q550 floor standers and the KEF q250 centre, keep my 3005se rears and sub (possibly upgrade the sub) and wait a little longer to choose an AVR due to hdmi 2.1 and a bit of future proofing. Would my Yamaha rx-a1030 be up to the job with that set up?

One thing about Yamaha is that they are not short of power and so that's not going to be a problem with them driving the Q550s. I would certainly look at upgrading though, the overall THD figures with the 1030 are not great and the KEFs may show up that shortcoming. Consider Marantz or Denon with the KEFs as they do make good partners.

Not sure what figures have been watched, but each receiver manufacturer will give few different ones for 2ch 20hz-20kHz (only meaningfull!) / 1ch 1kHZ and 4ohm with higher THD to "sell more" as we know higher wattages sells more and people don´t care about THD figures.

For comparison:

Yamaha RX-A1030: (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven - 8ohms, 0.06% THD) 110 W

Denon X3600H: ( 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2ch driven - 8ohms, 0.08% THD ) 105 W

RX-A1030 is a quality receiver and have no problem to drive Q system or more expensive speakers. Starting from A10x0 serie is where the quality starts with Yamaha. 33lbs, ESS Sabre DACs etc.

I'm looking at changing the fronts, kef q250, kef q350/q550 and swap the AVR out at a later date. Hopefully i will see/hear a big difference and then look at a sub upgrade. I'm a little stuck for sub size and placement due to the size and layout of the room.

Just a quick update, I ended up going for the KEF Q350 on ATACAMA nexus 6i stands and a KEF Q650c. Just need a little bit of room fiddling and calibration now. I’m looking at a new sub and avr as well but this will do for now. Thanks for all the help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom