Upgrading to Win 10

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I'm (reluctantly) preparing to upgrade my desktop Win 7 system to Win 10.

I have several partitions, one of which (F) contains FSX Flight Sim.

Re-installing FSX and a TB of scenery would take forever, so I'm anxious not to disturb it.

I've read that I can upgrade to Win 10 and "keep settings, files & apps" intact.

I've always regarded FSX as a program, with my Android tablet containing apps.

Or are the terms "programs" and "apps" now interchangeable?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Or are the terms "programs" and "apps" now interchangeable?

Depends on the context.

App has long been shorthand for application, which has the same meaning as program. But there's sometimes a distinction drawn between app and application in windows context to differentiate windows store/UWP apps from other applications.

Although they were only introduced in Windows 8, so if app is being used in a Windows 7 context I'd expect it to refer to programs generally.

Many thanks, that sounds hopeful.

I just wish they would make these things clearer so I don't have to fret!

From what I read the W10 upgrade might be a problem for FSX, in particular Acceleration and activation. Though reading through the stuff it appears to be more to do with newer rather than older PC's

You could, before committing to W10 upgrade, try out a dual boot of W10 with that of W7 if you have sufficient drive space. Then trying install of FSX on W10

Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8

Should you decide to upgrade straight to W10 then you can always revert to W7 should FSX not work correctly. But you really should have a complete backup of your W7 before doing anything. I suggest Macrium Reflect as being good to do that. It's free, easy to use and does exactly what it says it will do and will take you about 45 mins to complete, depending on disk size.

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

To add to tech’s post, I would also check to ensure that your system has decent windows 10 driver support for the various components. (I.e. last updated when)

Some manufacturers like HP and Dell do not provide the latest drivers at best some are generic and have known issues. I have a machine that is quite happy under Windows 7 but under Windows 10 suffers cpu spikes and performance issues due to bad driver support. Unfortunately in this case only the manufacturers drivers work and they are no good. Nvidia also stopped supporting the card too :(

have a backup and you can revert.

To add to Chuck's post I would carry out any driver checks and updates on W7 before attempting any of the W10 stuff.

Thanks everyone for your interest.

Being a born coward, I'll certainly take a complete image of my entire system before attempting the upgrade!

I subscribe to a Flight Sim forum where running FSX in Win 10 has been comprehensively covered, so it's more a case of hoping my partitions stay intact and that Win 10 recognises where FSX is situated.

Good call, an image is not a cowards way out. The more I read about it the problems with W10 and FSX are more to do with new machines and their new CPU variants.

So hopefully not stuck between the risk of older machine misbehaving on Windows 10 or a newer one not working with FSX.

Just reporting back to say that I've now upgraded my Win 7 desktop and Win 8.1 laptop to Win 10, both without a problem and both free of charge, which is music to this TG's ears!

Thank you for giving me the confidence to take the plunge. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom