UPS rant

Wirelessjack

Established Member
Reaction score
Im tired of some companies blaming covid 19 on there lack of service. I paid for next day delivery for a camera lens, I was checking the detailed tracking info and all was going well. Had confirmation that the parcel was out for delivery then I got a message saying delayed due to emergency or serve weather conditions.

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––​

unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg

I rang them.up and they said the driver was unable to deliver to me due to roads being shut due to covid 19! What an absolute lie, no roads have ever been shut near me in Manchester!
So waited for the next day to arrive and they said it's due to the drivers being too busy and I won't get it delivered the next working day.
Well today I rang them and they have now lost my parcel and due to covid 19 there's not the resources to look for it..... Gutted

I would be annoyed at that as well. I don’t remember hearing anything about roads closing due to Covid. If anything it should make his life a little easier as there is less traffic on the roads. Fair enough if they can’t guarantee next day delivery anymore but then they shouldn’t offer that as a service in the first place.

I would be annoyed at that as well. I don’t remember hearing anything about roads closing due to Covid. If anything it should make his life a little easier as there is less traffic on the roads. Fair enough if they can’t guarantee next day delivery anymore but then they shouldn’t offer that as a service in the first place.
Funny thing was this morning a UPS van passed my road ! Why can't they just be honest in the first place. The depot is only 5 minutes away from my house as well.

Attachments

• 20200528_123537.jpg
    20200528_123537.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 52
Funny thing was this morning a UPS van passed my road ! Why can't they just be honest in the first place. The depot is only 5 minutes away from my house as well.
Lord knows. Probably hoping you’ll just accept it and move on. Don’t do that though, get your complaining hat on.

Our local UPS depot is using 'white van man' for deliveries for the first time ever according to our regular collection drivers.

I recently sent a parcel via UPS which was an item I'd sold in the AVF classifieds.

It didn't arrive on the scheduled day due to the "emergency or severe weather conditions" excuse quoted by the OP. The next day it was delivered to the wrong address. It was only due to the honesty of the person who (incorrectly) received it and the resourcefulness of the intended recipient that it got to the right place at all.

I've asked UPS to investigate and asked for a refund of the postage costs. They ignore emails and are now claiming that it was an eBay sale and they will only refund eBay !

Jokers. Has anyone else had any experience of getting money back from UPS ?

I sent several items Tuesday via UPS next working day and they all said delivery wouldn't be until the 28th but two of them were delivered yesterday, one is still on its way to Manchester but delayed till Friday with no reason given and one I sent to London now says it is delayed due to 'An emergency situation or severe weather condition has delayed delivery'

Been nothing but sunshine all week in London!

lol I think we all know its just the option they are using for being completely overwhelmed by the amount of packages they are currently processing.

Our daily collection has just occured so I asked him (I know him rather well as he lives locally and he has been on our route for years) and the reply was;
1. It's a stock answer to non delivery.
2. It is because parcel volume has exceeded their ability to deliver.
3. His depot used 28 "white van's" (agency staff) for deliveries on Bank Holiday Monday this week to try to reduce the backlog.
4. The backlog is still growing, when he left the depot this morning there were two unopened trailers from overnight shipping which contained 4-5,000 parcels (his guesstimate).
5. This is a semi rural area so his normal volume of deliveries per day is around 100 per van (does not include collections)
6. His van is being loaded with upwards of 150 deliveries each day which cannot be done before his shift ends.
7. Therefore the stock answer is flagged onto all parcels that return to the depot.

I am not an apologist for UPS but the massive surge in online shopping during lock down is affecting all delivery companies, even the purchasing power of Amazon is having no effect with longer delivery windows now more normal than ever before.

Delivery driver rang my Ring the other day and I asked if he could leave it next door.
His answer was "I cannot do that due to Covid-19"
I told him he only has to put it on the doorstep and ring the bell, not take her out for a meal and sleep with her.

Luckily he did smile and dropped it next door.

Our daily collection has just occured so I asked him (I know him rather well as he lives locally and he has been on our route for years) and the reply was;
1. It's a stock answer to non delivery.
2. It is because parcel volume has exceeded their ability to deliver.
3. His depot used 28 "white van's" (agency staff) for deliveries on Bank Holiday Monday this week to try to reduce the backlog.
4. The backlog is still growing, when he left the depot this morning there were two unopened trailers from overnight shipping which contained 4-5,000 parcels (his guesstimate).
5. This is a semi rural area so his normal volume of deliveries per day is around 100 per van (does not include collections)
6. His van is being loaded with upwards of 150 deliveries each day which cannot be done before his shift ends.
7. Therefore the stock answer is flagged onto all parcels that return to the depot.

I am not an apologist for UPS but the massive surge in online shopping during lock down is affecting all delivery companies, even the purchasing power of Amazon is having no effect with longer delivery windows now more normal than ever before.
Yeah I can imagine they are very busy but they shouldn't charge you for next day delivery if they can't guarantee that service. It's strange that I havent had one issue with either DPD or parcel force.

Well it's not affecting all delivery companies it would seem, I ordered a new iphone, for my eldest daughter, yesterday evening at 5.44pm and it was delivered at 9.43am this morning.

Well it's not affecting all delivery companies it would seem, I ordered a new iphone, for my eldest daughter, yesterday evening at 5.44pm and it was delivered at 9.43am this morning.
5G? Nobody wants to keep that any longer than absolutely necessary ;)

Don't forget that your beef is not with the delivery company. UPS are not responsible to you. They are hired by the vendor to deliver your purchase, and the vendor is responsible to you. Don't get involved with UPS; that could be used by the vendor as an excuse for passing the buck. If you've paid extra for next day delivery and it doesn't happen, get on to the vendor for a refund. And if UPS have lost the parcel entirely, it's up to the vendor to arrange a replacement.

Although I think that in the current circumstances a little leeway is in order, that doesn't remove the responsibility of vendors to obey the rules.

Be a little careful when asking for a refund on 'next day delivery' the terms and conditions of the vendor and delivery company will state something along the lines of 'where possible' and 'exceptional circumstances' etc.

Be a little careful when asking for a refund on 'next day delivery' the terms and conditions of the vendor and delivery company will state something along the lines of 'where possible' and 'exceptional circumstances' etc.
It sounds like the OP waited 4 days & then they’ve now lost the parcel, so I reckon there’s a decent chance he’d get his ‘next day delivery’ charges refunded ;)

I wish the courier companies and the delivery drivers would just be honest.

If you have more parcels for the day that you can physically deliver, then send a notification to say so.
It's annoying if you are awaiting a parcel and you have to wait another day, but it would be less annoying than to check the tracking only to find some bs excuse as to why it wasn't delivered.

Last edited:
The most dishonest one I've come across was when I paid for a Saturday delivery and was out mowing my neighbour's lawn when the delivery driver arrived. He just hopped out the van and stuck a "Sorry we missed you" card through the letter box. I went over and challenged him and he admitted that the parcel was not on board but his manager just told him to post cards through boxes anway.

Trying to get either the retailer or delivery company to refund the Saturday fee was going to test anyone's patience, so I just voted with my feet and avoid that particular delivery company whenever I can. They also got 1 star reviews on as many sites as I could find.

I've a UPS issue today. Ebay delivery due to my buyer today & tracking shows it delivered at 10:14. Great, until you look at the PoD & it shows as "Left At: Other". So it could be anywhere & an open invitation to the buyer to deny receiving it, which maybe he hasn't. :(

Well they have done it yet again. I had a UPS delivery for today, All going fine again, parcel was out for delivery then i got an email saying the delivery has been rearranged for next week due to controls beyond there control, BS !Why put it out for delivery and then change?

!Why put it out for delivery and then change?

Their internal performance measures. They didn’t really put it out for delivery but by saying they did means that depot met its performance targets. Of course they then have to deal with the fact that they didn’t deliver it - simple, regardless of what they tell you, internally they will mark as the customer‘s fault.

So there you have it, in reality a poor service but on paper a perfect one. Praise heaped on the depot and the manager for delivering such a flawless service.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom