USB A to B lead for computer to amp

bill radley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry if a bit ignorant, but any recommendations for a connector lead from PC to Yamaha amp which has usb in (for computer music playing). It is USB A to B I think but these look v pricey on some hifi sites. Does it have to be a specific USB resolution. Is 4 m going to present any issues? Thank you!

that link isnt working for me. Is a basic printer cable basically "OK", or is there some sort of spec I need to check? Seems to be USB 2.0 I think...

how does one know if a cable is of hifi grade?? Some cost 10 times more than these??

that link isnt working for me. Is a basic printer cable basically "OK", or is there some sort of spec I need to check? Seems to be USB 2.0 I think...

A printer cable is precisely ok. Literally.

Nothing more is needed, and nothing else is ‘better’, whatever manufacturers and odd others may say.

No such thing as Hifi grade for USB - it is a data cable that carries data, not audio. You are using it to transmit data that is subsequently unpacked to be a music file. The Amazon one will be fine.

Yes, data, and not only that, but data in packets which are validated via checksums at their destination to ensure that they are absolutely and incontrovertibly complete and unaltered in any way. Also the data isn’t being sent in real time as it’s being buffered at the destination and then extracted from the buffer as governed by the clock in that receiving device.

The link to the ludicrous Russ Andrews £750 USB cable is very telling - take a look and you will note that no where on that entire page do they make a single claim about its sound quality...

Here’s another one

Ooh, this one does, but they’ve couched it in very clever terms... they believe that it significantly improves performance and invite you to borrow one and let your expectation bias do the rest!

Please don’t succumb to the madness my friend....

how does one know if a cable is of hifi grade?? Some cost 10 times more than these??
The sole difference between a "hi fi grade" USB cable and the USB data cable you get at your local PC store for 10% of the price, is the larger piece of paper needed to contain the price on the "hi fi" grade device. The two devices are otherwise absolutely identical.

I have heard that if you use a hifi grade cable on your printer it can turn your black and white prints into colour and it also sorts out the grammar in your documents. :thumbsup:

Actually it turns it into a replicator like they have on Star Trek
That would be brilliant - a pair of hairdressing scissors are top of my list

as said USB cable is USB cable, all sending digital signal through.
Even going to £shop and getting cable will work and be absolutely fine

lol, tell the hifi shops that!! Is 5m going to present any difficulties?? Thank you.
Shouldn't do. If a 5m cable can carry data undamaged from one computer device to another, it can carry it undamaged from your computer to the DAC stage in your amp (which is a computer device).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom