Question Used PC with Win 10 upgrade on but...

Anastie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As above I bought the PC and the owner supplied me with the original Win 8.1 disk. However, he has upgraded the PC to Win 10. All authenticated and looks fine.

If I want to do a reinstall of Win 10 how can I? Do I use the Win 8.1 and upgrade?

I do have a disk from my previous computer where i upgraded from W7 to W10 and downloaded the operating system from Microsoft onto a DVD. The downside my new PC has no DVD drive!

All help appreciated

If the hardware has Win10 installed and activated on it already then you can reinstall Win10 in future and it will activate. The hardware config is recorded at MS and it will re-authenticate. You don't need any serial numbers etc.

If you don't need anything that comes from within the recovery stuff for the PC (i.e. stuff that was pre-installed when shipped) then you can clean install 10 from the latest MS official download. If you do need pre-installed stuff then you'll have to do a factory restore and then upgrade to 10. Either way works. If you need to use the DVD contents then you will either need an external DVD drive, or to copy the disc onto another media (eg a USB stick).

Thanks for the reply. The Previous owner just did the upgrade from his 8.1 disk to W10 online. Therefore at present it has W10 on all activated. So i will grab the download from microsoft and put on a USB stick.

Might be worth finding out the product key and note it down somewhere. I am not sure if it will ask for during a reinstall.

If I need to reinstall win 10 because of hard drive failure, or catastrophic virus / malware, I keep an image of my machines on an external hard drive, update the image say monthly, then you can just re image it back to a date when it was clean, my win 10 is also one that was upgraded free from win 7 in 2016

As above I bought the PC and the owner supplied me with the original Win 8.1 disk. However, he has upgraded the PC to Win 10. All authenticated and looks fine.

If I want to do a reinstall of Win 10 how can I? Do I use the Win 8.1 and upgrade?

I do have a disk from my previous computer where i upgraded from W7 to W10 and downloaded the operating system from Microsoft onto a DVD. The downside my new PC has no DVD drive!

All help appreciated

As others have said: If you already have Windows 10 installed and activated in your computer then you may reinstall your computer without any problems.

And by the way, if you have bought a used computer i would strongly suggest that you do reinstall by wiping the disc clean, so you get rid of the previous users malware, accounts and files etc.

And since it sounds like you are not to familiar with how to perform a complete reinstall, i would like to offer you a link to: The 1 and ONLY GUIDE for installing Windows 10
The guy that runs WinGuider.se is also Swedish like me, and i have several times directed non professionals to his guides (in Swedish, that is) and most of them have liked his guides and how they build up your computer with safety and a reliable speed (that is minimizing their previous problems)

But that is just a friendly tip, since i seriously recommend, you really should reinstall your computer to get rid of any problems the seller might have left in the computer..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom