V+ Box connections, an idiots Guide

Hi havent got as far as HDMI Cables yets but perhaps somebody can help with my problem.I want to get Cable TV and Internet to my tv. However I have a solid floor with laminated floor covering and a Fireplace which fits flush to wall in the way. I would prefer not to use wireless, as havent had good experiences to date hence going to cable.

1. Is the Internet/phone cable router feed seperate from the TV feed. ie is there one cable from the street/internal wall to the V+ Box and this outputs to phone/ router.

2. what cable type (75ohm coax) does cable use. is it as big as normal tv coax.

3. I hope to get cable(s) into the gap behind skirt board and need to know if this will will a single cable or two (internet seperate). The bottom of skirt board is tapered and there is some gap. Is this a practical solution

Not sure if this is clear but any help, advise or experinces greatly received

Im currently using a cisco v box with a scart lead.my new samsung tv arrives next week.I want to change to an hdmi cable but im hearing conflicting answers as to weather i can use this as opposed to the scart lead without virgin wanting £49 to activate the hd channels (which i dont want).
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Slightly late answer....hope it's of some use

1. Is the Internet/phone cable router feed seperate from the TV feed. ie is there one cable from the street/internal wall to the V+ Box and this outputs to phone/ router.
Only 1 cable comes into the house and a splitter is installed - then a cable to TV and another to broadband is installed

2. what cable type (75ohm coax) does cable use. is it as big as normal tv coax.
I believe it is RG6 graded coax

3. I hope to get cable(s) into the gap behind skirt board and need to know if this will will a single cable or two (internet seperate). The bottom of skirt board is tapered and there is some gap. Is this a practical solution
The single cable could be run to wherever you want and split from there, TV/broadband is sent down the same cable

So the OP is 3+ years old now, I'm just wondering if Virgin Media boxes still come with component outputs?

Thanks.

I'm using the Samsung V+HD Box with a B&O HD ready TV. There is no HDMI socket on the TV but there is a DVI-I socket.

If I put an HDMI to DVI adapter into the DVI socket and then plug the HDMI cable from the set top box into that will it be recognised and will I be able to get HD TV?

I've tried doing it but my tv won't recognise the DVI-I connection properly. I get sound but no picture. If I go into the settings menu on the Virgin Homepage and change tv input to HDMI ernabled HDTV and change to resolution to 720 is goes blank for 30 seconds and reappears with widescreen replacing HDTV and tells me to change my TV settings. At this stage I have an picture (not HD) and sound

When I go to the DVI-I menu and change it to HDTV I get no picture but I do get sound. If I change the DVI_I settings to No then I get picture and sound but not in HD.

My TV tells me it has detected an HDMI connection and then I go through the whole process again with exactly the same results.

Anybody got any ideas?

Many thanks

Brad

Last edited:
Hi
this is my first time on the forum but I've scanned through this thread (and also used a TV thread to help me buy a nice new Samsung LCD - thanks) to try to help with a connection issue.
I want to connect my V+HD box to the tv via HDMI. So far no problems - connected fine and re-set the box to HD output. Looks great on the new tv.
My previous setup had the RF out on the box sending the signal to another tv via coax cable. Since changing the settings to HD output this is no longer working. This is what I expected but I want to know if there is any way I can get this to work and keep the output to the main tv at HD via HDMI? Is there a device I could get that would allow the RF output to continue to work even when the box is set to HD? I've read about an RF Modulator - is this the solution??
thanks

Hi
this is my first time on the forum but I've scanned through this thread (and also used a TV thread to help me buy a nice new Samsung LCD - thanks) to try to help with a connection issue.
I want to connect my V+HD box to the tv via HDMI. So far no problems - connected fine and re-set the box to HD output. Looks great on the new tv.
My previous setup had the RF out on the box sending the signal to another tv via coax cable. Since changing the settings to HD output this is no longer working. This is what I expected but I want to know if there is any way I can get this to work and keep the output to the main tv at HD via HDMI? Is there a device I could get that would allow the RF output to continue to work even when the box is set to HD? I've read about an RF Modulator - is this the solution??
thanks

The RF modulator would be the solution. I don't now if you've already seen or read the thread, but there's an existing topic here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgin-media/1229852-virgin-media-hd-box-rf-out-questions.html

and this is the modulator many are using:
ILS102 RF Digital Modulator: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi dante01
thanks for the quick reply.
One more quick question. If the stb is connected to my Panasonic recordable DVD via the DVD scart output will this still work if the stb is set to HD? If so would I then be able to output the signal via RF from the DVD to the second tv and therefore not need the modulator?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Neil

Hi dante01
thanks for the quick reply.
One more quick question. If the stb is connected to my Panasonic recordable DVD via the DVD scart output will this still work if the stb is set to HD? If so would I then be able to output the signal via RF from the DVD to the second tv and therefore not need the modulator?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Neil

The RF output of DVD recorders invariably (all reported instances) doesn't work when trying to convert signals. You can try it before purchasing an RF modulator though and use the VCR output to the DVD and then RF from DVD to second TV, but many have reported that this doesn't work. Older VHS decks do though.

Last edited:
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this question but, I'll do it anyway;
I've got a standard stb atm, I'm thinking of getting a V+HD box in a different room as a second box. The question I would like answered is, would the two boxes have to be daisy-chained or could a second cable run from the outside junction box to the second room?
It would be easier for me is they ran in parallel from the outside box.

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this question but, I'll do it anyway;
I've got a standard stb atm, I'm thinking of getting a V+HD box in a different room as a second box. The question I would like answered is, would the two boxes have to be daisy-chained or could a second cable run from the outside junction box to the second room?
It would be easier for me is they ran in parallel from the outside box.

Yes, they will run it around the outside of your home!

Though, I would think twice about doing this, IF the second room you are talking about is a bedroom, as the V+ can be noisy!

Thanks for the quick reply.
The room is the other down stairs room. Incidentally, the junction box is on it's external wall, so not much of a cable run.
Worried though about the noise!!! Is this common or just luck of the draw with stbs?

It is not a major issue, it's just the hard drive kicks in periodically, which if you're trying to sleep would/could be annoying, but the sound of the TV is enough to cover it.

It is not a major issue, it's just the hard drive kicks in periodically, which if you're trying to sleep would/could be annoying, but the sound of the TV is enough to cover it.

You could always sleep with the TV on in order to mask the sound of the hard drive :smashin:

:D

Hi. I have A 42 " Phillips Flatscreen LCD HD ready TV, and V+ box. I have connected Scart, and HD leads to my TV from V+ box, and followed the instructions from the settings display and sounds menu for setting my TV up for HD. However when I do this I receive a perfect HD picture, but completely lose the sound on my TV. A virgin media "engineer" came out and spent around two hours achieving nothing. He tried changing the V+ box, got the same result, ie no sound, then told me that it was a fault with the TV. This despite receiving perfect sound on the non HD channels. I did think that the HD Optical output socket may lead to a solution, but as I am a complete ignoramus regarding such technical matters, I was wondering exactly what kind of Lead/amplifiers I needed to be looking for/buying on the various on-line websites ? Any suggestions ?
John K :

Hi. I have A 42 " Phillips Flatscreen LCD HD ready TV, and V+ box. I have connected Scart, and HD leads to my TV from V+ box, and followed the instructions from the settings display and sounds menu for setting my TV up for HD. However when I do this I receive a perfect HD picture, but completely lose the sound on my TV. A virgin media "engineer" came out and spent around two hours achieving nothing. He tried changing the V+ box, got the same result, ie no sound, then told me that it was a fault with the TV. This despite receiving perfect sound on the non HD channels. I did think that the HD Optical output socket may lead to a solution, but as I am a complete ignoramus regarding such technical matters, I was wondering exactly what kind of Lead/amplifiers I needed to be looking for/buying on the various on-line websites ? Any suggestions ?
John K :

To get audio via both HD and SD channels, go into the STB's settings and turn "HDMI audio override" OFF.

Is your TV equipped with HDMI input(s)? If it is then you should look at AV amps that also have HDMI. HDMI leads are all that would be required to connect the STB to the amp and then the amp to the TV.

got the same result, ie no sound, then told me that it was a fault with the TV. This despite receiving perfect sound on the non HD channels.

The problem is most likely that HD channels use Dolby-Digital encoded audio (even if the soundtrack is only in 2.0 stereo) which your TV is probably not capable of decoding. I have the same issue with my Samsung set.

You'll need to set the HDMI-Override mode so that the audio is downmixed to plain stereo inside the V+ box so that the TV gets a signal it can understand. Sadly, this will also mean the optical output is downmixed to stereo too, even with 5.1 broadcasts, which is a pain if you sometimes want to use the TV's speakers and sometimes (for 5.1) a surround amp.

Andre

Last edited:
Thanks for this. All I therefore now need to know is, what type of leads/speakers do I need to be buying on E bay or other sites that are compatible with the opticle output socket on the V+ box ? John K

Thanks for this. All I therefore now need to know is, what type of leads/speakers do I need to be buying on E bay or other sites that are compatible with the opticle output socket on the V+ box ? John K

If it is just for the V+ then you need an AV amp with an optical input and the ability to decode Dolby Digital. If your TV has HDMI then you may also want to consider an amp that has HDMI inputs (with audio). You'll also need a 5.1 speaker package, one that includes 5 speakers plus an active subwoofer.

Cables? Again, does your TV have an HDMI input?

my dad bought panasonic tx-l42et60b (without telling me - he didn't even know it was 3D!)

1) virgin is being installed on Wednesday. what maximum resolution does their box support in 2D and in 3D?
2) what resolution and frame rate will this tv support in 2D and in 3D?
3) will a standard HDMI support all the resolutions in 1 & 2, or is Active HDMI needed?
4) what package does he require to get sport in 3D, and can he take it for a month at a time then downgrade to standard tv package, or must he take it for 12 months?

In answer to your fourth question he would have to take out a 12 month contract to receive any Sky Sports option that Virgin provide and might be in 3d. This dependant on whether Sky offer this service to Virgin, which I doubt. Virgin do not offer a 3d channel although you can get 3d movies on demand on a pay per view basis. Both the ESPN sports channel and the BBC have abandoned 3d. The trend overall seems to a reduction in 3d content across the board except for movies which are generally animations or heavy CGI'd 'Action' films.

Max picture setting on VM is 1080i/50. Standard HDMI will support any 3D content which is transmitted as SBS.
Virgin Media - Sky Sports on Virgin Media | TV channels | Virgin TV from Virgin Media makes no mention of 3D.

Last edited:
A TiVo can actually output 1080p and there is a setting that would only be available if connected to a TV via HDMI that can handle 1080p. The setting only allows for 1080p content to be passed through the TiVo and the TiVo cannot scale lower resolution content up to 1080p. No UK broadcaster currently uses 1080p although the BBC have trialed 1080p via Freeview and Netflix do provide some content that would be output as 1080p if accessing Netflix via a TiVo. 3D TV content uses side by side 1080i.

Active HDMI connections are not need for 3D or 1080p. YoU simply need an HDMI cable from your STB to your TV. I'd suggest using a cable rated High Speed.

There's is no option for SKY Sports 3D if accessing SKY via Virgin Media.

Is VM installing a V+ box? If so, connect it to your new TV with an HDMI cable. The box outputs 1080i or 720p (select the HiDef output setting shown as 1080 and 720). Try both and see which one looks best.

I think one of the more frustrating issues is that the set-up (instructions) assume that you'll ALWAYS listen via TV only or ALWAYS listen via your AV system only.

The news and documentaries are fine via TV but for films and sport etc. it's much better in surround sound. However, toggling between the settings is time-consuming and frustrating.

FYI - My digital sound is output into my Sony AV amp via optical cable and also via HDMI straight into the TV.

I think one of the more frustrating issues is that the set-up (instructions) assume that you'll ALWAYS listen via TV only or ALWAYS listen via your AV system only.

The news and documentaries are fine via TV but for films and sport etc. it's much better in surround sound. However, toggling between the settings is time-consuming and frustrating.

FYI - My digital sound is output into my Sony AV amp via optical cable and also via HDMI straight into the TV.

Audio via a TV is abysmal irrespective of whether it is stereo or multichannel in basis. I think the vast majority who own an AV receiver use it irrespective of what they are watching? I've not used a TV's own speakers since sometime way back in the 90s and I was using a stereo amp and speakers to portray audio associated with TV content before I even had an AV receiver or a surround sound setup. I'd not want to return to ever having to listen to anything via a TV's own speakers again. AS such my TiVo is connected to my AV receiver via HDMI because my AV receiver is always used irrespective of what it is I'm watching. Even if I did want to use the TV's integral speakers then I'd simply put my receiver iin standby and passthrough the audio to the TV. Most AV receivers can now do this (HDMI passthrough in standby) and there's no real reason to have seperate connections going to both the TV and an AV receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom