V+ Box connections, an idiots Guide

:rolleyes:
Just had my V+ installed but alas it's not working. They tried two boxes and gave up - now I have no TV whatsover (they took the old box away). Basically it's freezing on the 'loading data' screen. Having a look at the card it's pretty scratched on the chip so I'm betting that's the cause. But will they think to bring a new card tomorrow morning then they come again? Who knows...

:thumbsdow

:rolleyes:
Just had my V+ installed but alas it's not working. They tried two boxes and gave up - now I have no TV whatsover (they took the old box away). Basically it's freezing on the 'loading data' screen. Having a look at the card it's pretty scratched on the chip so I'm betting that's the cause. But will they think to bring a new card tomorrow morning then they come again? Who knows...

:thumbsdow

Had my V+ installed a couple of weeks ago. The first box didn't work. The fitter tried a different card and that didn't work. so he changed the box for another one and that one worked straight off.

Well, I'm up bright and early waiting for the Virgin guy... Lets hope they're able to find a working box today.

Incidentally - the first guy didn't know about optical connections or how to setup record onto VHS, so I'm guessing it's something they're not really trained on as most people probably just connect via scart and that's it.

Well, I'm up bright and early waiting for the Virgin guy... Lets hope they're able to find a working box today.

Incidentally - the first guy didn't know about optical connections or how to setup record onto VHS, so I'm guessing it's something they're not really trained on as most people probably just connect via scart and that's it.

Did youget your box installed and working???

yours, curiously

Adrian

HI guys,
I have had my V+ Box for about 3 months now after cancelling Sky and going to VM. I've (touch wood) had no problems whatsoever yet.

Just one question tho' I currently have it connected to my LG 42" Plasma downstairs via the HDMI cable, would it be possible for me to connect another HDTV to it? I would like to be able to use the box's features in another room, ie the bedroom. Or would I have to get a 'multiroom' setup???

i have just had v+ installed too, cant wait for more HD channels, just ordered a QED hdmi cable to replace the one that virgin supplied.

Anyway my question is, when connecting the V+ too my surround sound using an optical! what optical is it? ive been looking and there are optical cables with toslink and optical cables and there are are coaxial cables.

im confused, please help

i have sharp42 lcd,samsung home cinema(with hdmi) and V+

regards
stevo

i have just had v+ installed too, cant wait for more HD channels, just ordered a QED hdmi cable to replace the one that virgin supplied.

Anyway my question is, when connecting the V+ too my surround sound using an optical! what optical is it? ive been looking and there are optical cables with toslink and optical cables and there are are coaxial cables.

im confused, please help

i have sharp42 lcd,samsung home cinema(with hdmi) and V+

regards
stevo

Hi Steve,

A simple optical toslink cable is what you need.

Have a look at the back of th V+ box to see the style of connector, but somethig like this is what you need.

The V+ box does not have a digital coaxial output for audio

Adrian

Odd, are you sure about that, I thought it had an optical Toslink connector to allow digital / 5.1 output (if any programme transmits it, anyway).

Andre

yes my misate i meant to say a digital coaxial conection will correct now

thanks

so i need to purchase a digital coaxial cable then and not a toshlink? confused by the reply
cheers

so i need to purchase a digital coaxial cable then and not a toshlink? confused by the reply
cheers

The opposite,

The V+ box only supports the optical Toslink for multi-chanel sound

Adrian

Odd, are you sure about that, I thought it had an optical Toslink connector to allow digital / 5.1 output (if any programme transmits it, anyway).

Andre

Does anybody know if any programmes actually are transmitted with Dolby Digital? I have my V+ connected to receiver via optical out, but it's never picked up a DD signal as far as I can remember, just PCM. Is there a setting that needs to be adjusted?

Does anybody know if any programmes actually are transmitted with Dolby Digital? I have my V+ connected to receiver via optical out, but it's never picked up a DD signal as far as I can remember, just PCM. Is there a setting that needs to be adjusted?

The only channel that I am aware of is the BBC's HD trail chaneel.

I do not subscribe to sky movies etc, so cannot coment

Adrian

What I found the other day was if you have the optical connection connected to your amp you only get stereo until you set the HDMI sound override option in the menu and then on the BBC HD channel you get DD5.1 on some programs. Why it works that way I have no idea far better to pipe both sets of sound down both cables like my DVD player so I can chose either my amp or TV speakers without faffing around with menu options.

Lots of similar, but not exact same problems as me.

I have got V+ Box connected to TV via the one and only HDMI socket on the TV.(LG 42 PX5D)

Trouble is my Upscale DVD player (Phillips DVP 5960)also needs a HDMI connection.

I have got My Surround Sound Amp & Speakers (LG LH T550) hooked up also.(I only use this for the sound, the DVD playback is crap, hence the upscale player)

How can I connect all of these together without spending too much more money. ( I have seen the HDMI splitters, but they too expensive for me!!)

Eg. Would it work if......

TV to V+ Box - Component Cables & Analogue Audio Cables.

Upscale DVD Player to TV - HDMI Cable

TV to Amp - Analogue Audio Cables (I have this at the mo, can get 5.1 sound from whatever is being displayed on the screen)

:lease: :lease: Help Me!! Going Spare!!

What I found the other day was if you have the optical connection connected to your amp you only get stereo until you set the HDMI sound override option in the menu and then on the BBC HD channel you get DD5.1 on some programs. Why it works that way I have no idea far better to pipe both sets of sound down both cables like my DVD player so I can chose either my amp or TV speakers without faffing around with menu options.

My TV drive is only connected via the optical cable, the amount of cabelling behind my system is bad enough as it is.

I have, selected the over ride in th esetting smenu, I am sure this is covered in my innitial text.

Unfortuantely Iam at work at the moment so acannot help further.

As my plasma has no speakers, ionly use my AV amp for sound, be it DD or pro-logic

Adrian

Adrian

Lots of similar, but not exact same problems as me.

I have got V+ Box connected to TV via the one and only HDMI socket on the TV.(LG 42 PX5D)

Trouble is my Upscale DVD player (Phillips DVP 5960)also needs a HDMI connection.

I have got My Surround Sound Amp & Speakers (LG LH T550) hooked up also.(I only use this for the sound, the DVD playback is crap, hence the upscale player)

How can I connect all of these together without spending too much more money. ( I have seen the HDMI splitters, but they too expensive for me!!)

Eg. Would it work if......

TV to Amp - Analogue Audio Cables (I have this at the mo, can get 5.1 sound from whatever is being displayed on the screen)

:lease: :lease: Help Me!! Going Spare!!

Sorry, but I do not fully understand your question(s), maybe i am being daft but I am having difficulty in trying to understand.

How many Audio leads are you connecting from your TV to your AV amp. As I understand, the only methods of conveying true 5.1 sound is via

• an Optical Lead as used by the V+ box
  • A digital lead using SPDIF connections
  • A HDMI lead
  • 6 Conventional audio leads

Now if youare getting surround sound from your AV amp when fed two channels from your TV output, then youwill be getting Pro-logic rather than true digital 5.1 sound.

If youare using six Audio leads, then you may well be getting DD.

Can youplease supply more information on your LG system? I presuem it is an all in one unit? If so, it may bot be able to output true 5.1 from a source other than itself. Soem of these all in one systems; to keep the costs down do not have the ability to decode 5.1 from external sources.

Adrian

Adrian, thx,

Sorry, My mistake, the sound is Pro Logic and not True Surround. The amp is part of an all in one system and it is currently connected to the TV By a red & a White analogue sound cable. There is no digital input on the amp.

HTH
rob

hi just got a v+ box in place of sky, have been going thru the site for info but am a bit confused now so thought it better to ask.
We have the box connected to a hdtv but want to watch it in another room (we previously did this with sky with just a cable). Looking at the forum it seems you cant do this while the box is in hd mode but it has to be be in sd mode- question: how do you change to sd mode as we cant seem to be able to do it! Also if we manage to do this will it then work in the other room or is there something else we should be doing? Any help much appreciated and thanx for advice already given, great site, cheers

AFAIK to get to SD Mode Press
Home (On the Remote)
then 8
then 4
Choose second option
Change From HDMI to Widescreen / or whatever suits

Hope this helps:smashin:

You can get HDMI Splitters for as little as £22 now. So personally, I would opt for that. A decent component cable will cost you that anyway & there's some HD VoD content that can't be viewed using component due to HDCP (albeit very little apparently). However, if you already have a component cable lying around, then yes, you could set it up as you proposed here:

TV to Amp - Analogue Audio Cables

There's no need to connect the V+ audio to your amp (as highlighted above). As your amp can't handle a digital audio connection, you may as well let the TV provide analog audio to the amp for all sources. So the only audio connection you need is from TV to amp.

Hope that helps :)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
bit of a noob question here. as im new to this hd stuff. is the standard hdmi lkead virgin give you with the v+ box any good. or is it worth buying a better one

is the standard hdmi lkead virgin give you with the v+ box any good. or is it worth buying a better one

The supplied lead should be fine (if it works). There have been quite a few faulty leads reported on these forums. Naturally, in the event you did get a faulty lead, Virgin would replace it free of charge anyway :)

am i right in thinking i need an hdmi-componet adaptor if i want to connect via component, and will it give me real hi-def? help apreciated

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom