V6 box Netflix and Prime issues

gforce08

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone can help - recently got 2 v6 boxes and all is well most of the time. However when I try to use Netflix or Prime I almost always get blank screens when loading the content. Menus are fine, but as soon as I press play on something, generally I just get a blank screen or an error.

if I restart the box from the Virgin menu, and retry everything works ok. Then next time I use it a day or so later, the same thing happens. Really frustrating!

Have tried playing with video settings but nothing is helping. Have any of you had this issue and do you know of a fix?

Hoping someone can help - recently got 2 v6 boxes and all is well most of the time. However when I try to use Netflix or Prime I almost always get blank screens when loading the content. Menus are fine, but as soon as I press play on something, generally I just get a blank screen or an error.

if I restart the box from the Virgin menu, and retry everything works ok. Then next time I use it a day or so later, the same thing happens. Really frustrating!

Have tried playing with video settings but nothing is helping. Have any of you had this issue and do you know of a fix?
Hi I have had the same problem get to the homepage see all the shows and soon as I press play get a fault message or blank screen. I've had a new box the virgin tech guys have tried alsorts online but it was never fixed I give up in the end just to much hassle. I use the TV apps and a 4k firestick now much better than the virgin v6 box

Really frustrating- seems like there are complaints on the Virgin forums too. Not quite the one box solution I was hoping for! Still missing Disney+ too

Really frustrating- seems like there are complaints on the Virgin forums too. Not quite the one box solution I was hoping for! Still missing Disney+ too
Get a 4k firestick best cheap option great for amazon prime and Disney plus also does Netflix after weeks and weeks of contacting virgin its just to frustrating not worth the effort.

I have the same problem every couple of weeks. I have to restart the box, and then is all well until a few weeks later.

Thanks guys - I've been trying all sorts of things suggested on virgin forums but same behaviour. It works fine for maybe a day or 2 and then stops on both Netflix and prime. I have 2 boxes and 1 seems better than the other but it is also the one used less for netflix/prime so could just be that I don't notice it as often. A reboot works but given the reboot time is around 3-5 mins I find it irritating. Pity they can't resolve this as seems very common.

We had the same issue of requiring a reboot every few switch on's, finally solved it by using the following settings.

Settings
Devices
Power saving
Always on.

Did this approx 4 months ago and never had an issue since, whether it will work with the apps i'm not sure but certainly sorted our problem out which we had had from day one.

Dave.

My v6 box in the Lounge worked perfectly with Prime until very recently and now I have this same issue. I can search through the programs but when I press play I just get the black screen and egg timer and then a message saying that there has been a problem. If I do a power down and reboot it then starts working again.

The only thing thas has changed recently in my setup is that I’ve added a soundbar via hdmi. So the v6 box connects to the soundbar via hdmi and then the soundbar to the telly via hdmi.

I’m wondering if for some strange reason this is causing issues? The box in the kitchen still works fine with Prime all the time.

So try taking the soundbar out of the equation.

The last time Prime didn’t work, I took the soundbar out of the chain and rebooted and then Prime worked fine.

This weekend I used the soundbar as I watched a couple of films and today even though the soundbar is switched off and the signal is passing through, Prime didn’t work. After rebooting with the soundbar still in the chain and switched off, Prime works.

I’m now going to try having the soundbar on and see if that messes up Prime.

Prime is running OK with the soundbar turned on so if it was the issue then I’d expect it to not work.

It's often a resolution issue.Try setting the resolution on the Tivo to auto detect

Mine is already set to auto (1080p)

When you run the auto setting, it choses 1080p and then that is what is displayed when you click ‘keep automatic settings’
Video Output Format [1080p] to be exact

When you run the auto setting, it choses 1080p and then that is what is displayed when you click ‘keep automatic settings’
Video Output Format [1080p] to be exact
I take it you don't have a 4k tv ?
The issue I was having with the Prime app was I had the tivo set for 2160 and if it wanted to play a 1080 video I got a blank screen.
I actually gave up in the end

No I don’t have a 4K telly, I‘m still using my trusty old 1080p Plasma :)

I'd suggest you manually configure the video output as opposed to letting the V6 set the output. I've an AV receiver in my setup that has no issue at all passing through 4K UHD encoded video yet the V6 determines the best resolution my setup will handle to be 720p! The TV (LG C9) is also 4K UHD compliant.

If wanting to access streaming services, I'd also suggest not using the V6. You'd get better results via the apps on most 4K TV, especially if wanting access to Dolby Vision HDR or if wanting to access the UHD content you can now access using the iPlayer. If the TV fails to recognise that you'ce a 4K compliant TV then you'll not get the UHD content via iPlayer.

Similar anomalies with the V6 incorrectly determining the video capabilities of devices it is outputting to seem pretty common.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom