V6 box To another tv

Garyt76

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the site, I am switching from BT Infinity to Virgin Fibre and getting the V6 box to replace the sky plus we currently use. I have the sky set up to work in the room upstairs although we can only watch what is on the main box dow stairs. It's basically used to watch recordings on. If I dwop to Virgin, can I have the same type of set up? Ours currently works through the Magic Eye set up which allows me to use a remote etc. I'm not very technical so would appreciate it if the technical terms were kept as simple as possible lol.
Thanks in advance for any help, it's very much appreciated.

The V6 has no analogue video output and only has a digital HDMI output. Conveying such a signal over distance to another room can be very problematic. I'd suggest you consider a second box for upstairs as opposed to sharing the main box between upstairs and your living room.

If you were to try sharing the one box then you need to dec=ide whether you want to convey the exact same HDMI output to both zones or whether you wish to convert the output to analogue after splitter it? THe feasibility of the former option will also depend upon the capabilities of both TVs and the intended resolution you intend outputting from the V6.

The V6 has no analogue video output and only has a digital HDMI output. Conveying such a signal over distance to another room can be very problematic. I'd suggest you consider a second box for upstairs as opposed to sharing the main box between upstairs and your living room.

If you were to try sharing the one box then you need to dec=ide whether you want to convey the exact same HDMI output to both zones or whether you wish to convert the output to analogue after splitter it? THe feasibility of the former option will also depend upon the capabilities of both TVs and the intended resolution you intend outputting from the V6.
I have a similar issue in my house. I have a V6 box downstairs and a TV upstairs in my room. There is a coax cable that runs between the 2 (is plastered within the wall) so I don’t have the option of removing the cable or changing it for another cable as it would mean destroying my wall. I already have a HDMI splitter running from my V6 box but how do I convert the HDMI signal to run through the coax so I can get the picture in my room?

This is all too much hassle in my opinion, the costs involved in having a second box installed in another room are so small, its not worth messing around with other outdated and inferior options. Having a second box means you can use them independently and you can also watch the recordings from the other box if you have them connected to your network.

Speak to VM and just add a second box to your package, they'll simply come and install another cable point if it's on an outside wall, it'll be a much simpler and tidier solution.

If your TV is a freeview then you could try a HDMI to DVB-T modulator.
How does the DVB-T modulator work then? Do I simply connect the V6 to the modulator and then the coaxial cable to the other end and hey presto?

I am having the same problem I used a modulator from the scart socket on my Tivo box but the V6 doesn’t have one so you would need a HDMI splitter first then the modulator

I had to firstly do it by V6 to HDMI splitter then splitter to scart converter then scart to RF. Would work intermittently but the picture was poor and sometimes it was audio only so I binned it and went back to looking for a better solution!

Dante, a question if I may which may solve my issue......

I just want to be able to watch VM in my bedroom. I don't need to be able to watch different VM channels on different TV's. Am I right in thinking that if I got a 2nd V6 from VM along with the Powerline adapters I could connect my 2nd STB to my 1st STB and effectively have a crewd version of Sky Q or am I talking rubbish??

Watching a VM YouTube video it suggests that this can be done so my 2nd STB would only need to be connected via Ethernet to the adapter and wouldn't need VM to come and install more cables and access points into my address

The ethernet connection isn;t strictly needed on the second box as long as you've a good wifi network in your home?

You can connect the 2 V6 boxes using their inbuilt wifi capabilities without need to use the powqerline adaptors. The wifo configurations only become an option if and when you don't hardwire a V6 to your router. You can access content you've recorded on one STB via the other if you've more than just one V6.

Also note that you can access content you've recorded via the VM Control app over a local wifinetworkon an iOS or Android device. This is if you've one V6 or multible boxes.

Yopu will however need a coax feed to the second box connecting it to the VM network. THis is usually fascilitated by splitting the main feed that comes into your home and goes to your first box and your VM superhub. All VM STBs need this and they simply will not operate without it, not even to access and play content stored on another STB.

You'd probably need a VM installer to come install the coax for the second box. Virgin wouldn;t run ethernet cabling around your home and the networking is something you'd ordinarilly have to sort out for yourself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom