Vacuum Cleaner - Recommendations Please

They are designed so that you can can keep on top of your cleaning by doing a quick 5 minute clean everyday. If you have a hoise with pets and children and you only bother to clean once a week or less then a corded vacuum might be slightly better (and cheaper).
I must have misunderstood then :) Pets? Check. Kids? Check. Adults? Check ? (Why do we assume adults by themselves wouldn’t need a decent vacuum cleaner?).

I have only had a Dyson stick vacuum cleaner in the house since the original V6 Animal came out. I’ve only moved up to a V7 and use it a few times a week at the most and do the whole house.

I reckon the 5 minutes a day thing has become an urban myth after the first generation Dyson stick vacuums evolved. As has the idea we need a corded machine taking up cupboard space because some things on the flooring (carpet/rugs/laminate whatever) can’t be vacuumed up with a stick vac but can by a corded. Things like that I find are best dealt with by other traditional methods - dustpan and brush, hands, mop etc.

Anyway it’s all personal preference at the end of the day :)

I must have misunderstood then :) Pets? Check. Kids? Check. Adults? Check ? (Why do we assume adults by themselves wouldn’t need a decent vacuum cleaner?).

Well, if you are the type of adult who has parties a few times per week and runs around the house all day then a powerful vacuum is certainly needed. From my experience, my house is a hell of a lot cleaner and tidier when my kids have been on holiday with their grandparents and there's been just me and the mrs in the house. I only needed to hoover twice per week. When the kids are home I have to clean everyday. Literally.

You read just the first half of my sentence I think and missed the second half which said "...and you only bother to vacuum once a week or less...".

I like stick vacuums however when I trialed the V8 it did not have the power or usability of the corded vacuums. With my Miele cylinder I could get the small brushhead on top of the flexible hose, press the button to on and could do dusting of things that needed two hands. There is no way I can do that with the Dyson considering that you need one hand to keep the on button pressed and also that it does not have a flaxi hose attached to it.

I did not feel that the V8 could be the sole vacuum in my house.

Furthermore a stick vacuum's suction was nowhere near as powerful as that of a cylinder. The V11 sounds like it has caught up with the corded counterparts at least on paper. Remains to be seen how much of that is true in reality.

The corded vacuum is a workhorse that can do anything. The stick vacuum is not there yet and has its limitations.

Last edited:
You read just the first half of my sentence I think and missed the second half which said "...and you only bother to vacuum once a week or less..."

Not really - I read the whole paragraph

A lot of people misunderstand cordless vacuums. They are designed so that you can can keep on top of your cleaning by doing a quick 5 minute clean everyday. If you have a hoise with pets and children and you only bother to clean once a week or less then a corded vacuum might be slightly better (and cheaper).

I disagree they are designed (nowadays) for a 5 minute clean everyday. I have a house with pets and children and I can clean it every day using the stick vacuum or twice a week or every two weeks. Decent modern stick vacs can replace a corded one entirely IMHO and IME.

I know many say they need a corded in the cupboard for some mysterious cleaning Armageddon that I haven’t experienced and that’s fine. In general advice though I believe somebody considering buying and having only a stick vac can be told go for it.

That is most definitely not my experience with the V8 so we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Maybe the V11 will prove me wrong 🤞 🤞

That is most definitely not my experience with the V8 so we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Maybe the V11 will prove me wrong 🤞 🤞
Maybe my idea of clean isn’t up where it should be :rotfl:

We live in a large 5 bed in the countryside, have 2 kids and a dog. It’s a large house and the V11 is more than enough. With the V6 we still needed to break out the corded one occasionally, but that’s in storage now.

We live in a large 5 bed in the countryside, have 2 kids and a dog. It’s a large house and the V11 is more than enough. With the V6 we still needed to break out the corded one occasionally, but that’s in storage now.

Sounds like the V11 definitely lives up to the hype. Looks like I will finally be able to manage with the V11.

A few weeks ago I asked about cordless stick vacuum cleaners like the Dyson V8. I didn’t buy one, I almost did, but what stopped me was the operating time. I read it was 40 minutes and I was worried that was too short but then I read more and found that this is only on lower power settings and using that non-motorised head and that in the mode I would expect to use it is more like 7 minutes which simply isn’t good enough.

So now looking corded cleaner to replace my Henry.

We have too cats and I want something reasonable light and compact but great suction and cleaner power.

Any recommendations - up to £400. Don’t want another Henry, okay for the price but all in all I don’t rate it that much.

Cheers,

Nigel
i had a few dysons, but found there build quality lacking ,then a friend recommended a Sebo, 20 years on still going strong used almost daily ( we have dogs) nothing fancy technology wise just good solid engineering that works.

There are all kinds of vacuum cleaners and brands, I won’t talk about some big brands because most of people know them. I just want to mention some vacuum cleaner brands that have developed rapidly in recent years,such as TOCMOC, MOOSOO, APOSEN,they are popular among people because of good product and perfect service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a sebo and it's quite possibly the best hoover I've had for quality.

You get what you pay for though.

I have a sebo and it's quite possibly the best hoover I've had for quality.

You get what you pay for though.
Agree had mine 20 years, still works great.

I am really happy with my new and cheap VAX vacuum. My previous VAX developed a fault but it came with a 2 year warranty. VAX sent me a new, later model machine. Now the interesting thing is the new machine really does use a centrifugal design (like a Dyson).

The old machine and many other bag less manufacturers do not separate the dirt very well before the air gets to the filter and the result is a clogged filter. This new VAX doesn't clog up. Maybe the Dyson patent has run out?- I don't know.

But what is certain is that the sucking power is excellent, and its less than £100.

I am really happy with my new and cheap VAX vacuum. My previous VAX developed a fault but it came with a 2 year warranty. VAX sent me a new, later model machine. Now the interesting thing is the new machine really does use a centrifugal design (like a Dyson).

The old machine and many other bag less manufacturers do not separate the dirt very well before the air gets to the filter and the result is a clogged filter. This new VAX doesn't clog up. Maybe the Dyson patent has run out?- I don't know.

But what is certain is that the sucking power is excellent, and its less than £100.
Which model is that, out of curiosity?

Which model is that, out of curiosity?
It is called a MachAir model UCA1GEV1 820watts.
Don’t get me wrong, it is probably not as long lasting as a Dyson, but it is £79 and works well.

The main motor just drives the fan. There is a second small DC motor that drives the brush.
When the handle is upright, it turns off the brush motor but still sucks as it knows you are probably shifting chairs around. There is also a switch to turn off the brush if you just want suction. Mains wire is a good length.

Sebo and Miele - in that order. After that it really depends on what you fancy. If you don't want to spend a lot - value for money wise - Henry all the way. Every cleaner has one and not Vax, Shark or any other. Sebo are well designed and well engineered and will most likely last 20 + years, most Miele are very close second. If Dyson were £ 50 or 60 I'd prefer to spend £100 on a Henry , dyson are 80 % marketing, 10 % design and 10 %engineering, I prefer any appliance to be other way round - Sebo don't have anything fancy on them - simple , well tried and tested and well engineered , and that's good enough for me.

I have just ordered the Beko after reading it is a which recommended. I wouldn’t buy Dyson again for sure. I will let you know what it’s like when it arrives.

I don't see the appeal of bagless cleaners.

The dust gets everywhere every time it needs to be emptied. Most need filters replacing and the cylinder needs to be washed/cleaned to keep it clean.

It's so much easier and cleaner with a bagged cleaner. Simply chuck the old bag away and replace with a fresh bag. No dust, no cleaning and quick to change. A pack of bags will last years and is relatively cheap.

For handhelds, bagless is fine. Filters can be washed and dried.

I wouldn't want a large bagless cleaner as emptying it could be a pain.

I have a Dyson V7 and a Miele. The Miele is a far superior vacuum but I also have a Roborock Robot vacuum and use it daily, so I only need the Dyson to do small areas and barely use the Miele.

I don't see the appeal of bagless cleaners.

The dust gets everywhere every time it needs to be emptied. Most need filters replacing and the cylinder needs to be washed/cleaned to keep it clean.

It's so much easier and cleaner with a bagged cleaner. Simply chuck the old bag away and replace with a fresh bag. No dust, no cleaning and quick to change. A pack of bags will last years and is relatively cheap.
I totally agree, I have a Miele for general cleaning but the hand held is great for quick use for spills etc but also stairs.

I'd only buy Henry. We used them several everyday for years at work in business and not one packed up.

Any recommendations for someone who lives on their own no pets? Been looking at getting a Henry but my parents had one and said it packed in! Shark i'm told are one of the best but a bit too expensive?

Any recommendations for someone who lives on their own no pets? Been looking at getting a Henry but my parents had one and said it packed in! Shark i'm told are one of the best but a bit too expensive?

Sharks are plasticity rubbish used one at last place

Henry's are well regarded and normally live for ever. Unfortunate.
My son has shark and it works ok.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom