Valve index VR headset

Another new Index user here:

My previous headsets are: Rift, Pimax 5K and Samsung Odyssey+.

I have the HMD and one base station for simming.

Im liking it so far, after one night anyway.... Its not a game changer but its a noticeable overall improvement on the 3 headsets i've had prior.

Cool I’m sure for your use it’s going to work out great. Valve came back to me over night and are sending me returns labels shortly. You can’t knock the service.

Just reading back, what will you be using now @huxley if you're sending the knucklehead back?

I bought one for sim-racing recently and overall I am very impressed with it having come from a Rift for the last 2 years. Well worth the purchase

I picked up a G29 soon after i got an Oculus Rift at release and Sim racing is the only thing that has kept me interested in VR.

Index HMD and one base arrived this week. Ordered it as my Oculus Rift broke for the 2nd time, this time out of warranty.

FOV, SDE and biggest improvements for me. Kept it at 90hz as i prefer to up the SS over FPS. rocking a 1080ti currently.

Also upgraded from G29/playseat challenge to a fanatec csl elite with a simetik cockpit.I've had some of the best gaming experiences ever with my new setup. I'm hooked.

With a 1080ti you should be able to ramp up Steam Home SS to 500% and still get 90fps!

Goto:-

Video - Application Resolution - Tick 'enable custom resolution' - Slide it up to 500%

Then in:-

Applications - Use the drop down menu select a game such as Onward and slide the Custom Resolution Setting down from 100% till you get a stable 90fps. (Around 50%)

Demanding games like Project Cars 2 needs to go a lot lower, more like 30% and even then you'll only get around 65fps on a 1080ti.

I use to use the Global SS setting for all games but doing it on a game to game basis means you get the best sharpness and FPS for each game.

If you want to be wowed by your Index, install Youtube, set SteamVR at 500% then Youtube at 500% for a mega whopping resolution of 10,080 x 11,200 (I know its complete overkill buts its fun) and select 144hz mode for good measure.

Then have a look at these jaw dropping Videos.

And this sexy NewYork one.

Puts a smile on my face every time.

Bonus Manhattan filmed at 12k

Though not the reason I returned them, my replacement Knuckles don't click in the infamous quadrants :(

Might try a 1mm ball bearing inside the joysticks. Seems to have worked for many others. Nervous about having my expensive controllers apart though.

Linus on Index "the King of gaming VR headsets"

He is a paid knob!

Seems like he paid for it himself and he came across as giving an honest opinion.

Index is the best all round VR package out there full stop. SDE, FOV, Sound, Tracking and Controllers.

If Index is not King, what VR package is?

Seems like he paid for it himself and he came across as giving an honest opinion.

Index is the best all round VR package out there full stop. SDE, FOV, Sound, Tracking and Controllers.

You're gonna have to photoshop a new HMD into your profile pic.

Who needs photoshop?

FFC23-E19-0938-413-F-9-E7-A-B8-E10-B461746.jpg

I would agree with that if it wasn’t for the shoddy controllers, and lack of supporting games for them. It seems steam has added the index compatible logo to all vr games on the store.

I wouldn't say the index is the best all-round package as the controllers let it down. I think that award still goes to the og Rift and Vive setups.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree with that if it wasn’t for the shoddy controllers, and lack of supporting games for them. It seems steam has added the index compatible logo to all vr games on the store.

I think the icons for the Index HMD not the controllers.

I wouldn't say the index is the best all-round package as the controllers let it down. I think that award still goes to the og Rift and Vive setups.

I'd also say that the price stops it from being the King of VR headsets. For that sort of price the specs aren't high enough, if I was to pay that sort of price for a headset I'd expect the resolution of a Reverb and/or the FOV of a Pimax.

I could have got an Index instead of my Rift S but the specs aren't all that different. A 1440p headset compared to a 1600p headset for $600/£519 less money.

For the specs of each headset getting a Rift S over an Index was a bit of a no brainer tbh even before you take into account the glare and the chances of getting broken controllers.

It's going to be interesting to see what Pimax do with their pricing of their base stations and controllers. If they have their full bundle priced at the same price or even cheaper than the Index things could start to get interesting.

In the meantime Oculus are approaching over 50% of headsets on Steam.

If any company can claim to be King of the proverbial castle it has to be Oculus. The Rift S already has almost 10% of Steam marketshare according to the latest Steam Survey, and they can't make Quests fast enough.

By the looks of it you can't buy the Reverb anymore.

When Pimax get a full package together it will make Index look like a bargain.

Well, as a complete VR package, it certainly is the "king" at the moment - we're talking about features and capabilities, otherwise you may as well whittle it down to something mundane like the WMR headsets if you want to get involved with cost. The best of anything is generally going to be exponentially more expensive, it's not a linear curve.

Personally I'm going the Pro/8K+Knuckles route for now, but if I was in the market for a single package the Index package would easily be my first choice.

After trying the Index a few days ago my son rushed home and ordered one. It arrives tomorrow. The full package is still on reserve so he ordered the Headsets/Knuckles package and Base Stations seperate. It cost a bit more and I told him to wait but he ordered anyway. Its his first big purchase after getting a new job.

Its No Mans Sky day tomorrow too.

My replacement Knuckles' joysticks do actuate all the way round but no satisfying 'click' in the infamous quadrants.

Only a brief play tonight but good to be back in my Index :D

The audio from the index is one of the highlights that's praised so much. But on mine it sounds just like the normal Rift or vive and very unremarkable? Not loud and high quality as many say? I've tried EVERTHING on Reddit as possible fixes but it still does not sound loud or with any depth. Only thing I've not tried is wiping my PC and starting again. Anybody having the same issue?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom