Valve index VR headset

I recall you could force then to reflash the firmware by plugging the litehouse into the pc with the channel button held down for a while.

Thanks. I tried doing this and thought I'd failed but then steam VR settings could recover that base station from a failed update.

But afterwards still flashing red.

Disappointing.

I guess I'll still be able to play seated stuff.

You can still play standing stuff, you just need to remember to not physically turn around. FPSVR is a handy app that has a useful floor marker built in.

Its quite surprising how well SteamVR does with only one lighthouse so long as you stay facing it. You'll just have to get used to using the joystick to turn. Alyx should still play fine using the flick turn (which I use all the time even though I have a large play space).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Valve have replied but are asking for log files and descriptions of the tracking problems.

Frustrating as the bottom line is that lighthouse doesn't work and there's nothing I can do about it.

I've asked for a new lighthouse or a full refund.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Valve have replied but are asking for log files and descriptions of the tracking problems.

Frustrating as the bottom line is that lighthouse doesn't work and there's nothing I can do about it.

I've asked for a new lighthouse or a full refund.

Sorry to hear about you lighthouse troubles. I’m sure they will replace it no problem. They asked me for videos of my controller problems but then they sent me new ones. Valve are pretty good with returns.

Positive update - they've asked for postage details and lighthouse serial number, and said they're sending out a replacement.

Pretty good, considering. Reported 10am Easter Sunday, replacement process started within 12 hours.

And it's not even anywhere like a normal Easter Sunday at that.

And that's an understatement.

The Index after sales service from Valve has generally been excellent... it can just sometimes be rather slow! Hopefully your replacement arrives in good time @Presuming Ed

One of my Index controllers stopped charging. Valve sent me out a new one. They're good.
When their stocks are low, they're not so good of course but credit to them.

I'm not sure whether to try and get a headset replacement for the 'vertical SDE' or not. I've heard some people have better headsets than others but I'm kind of the opinion that some people probably don't see it and some do. I see it rarely (with my custom column correction settings really not much).

I just played Vader Immortal on the Index and oh god, the light sabers feel AMAZING in hand.

Its sad that the graphics on Vader Immortal are so piss poor compared to Half Life Alyx though.

This sounds suspiciously similar to a problem that Pimax headsets have. Mine gets horizontal scanlines on one panel when doing slight head movements.

Arg. Duplicate.

I know there is always a bias when looking online as those with issues shout louder than those without.... But is it just me or does index have a high percentage of hardware failures.

There seems to be a lot of regulars on here with indexes who one way or another have had hardware issues. :(

Software problems are a pita and we see plenty of those with all vr devices but they can be fixed without sending units back at least.

The only piece of Index hardware I have are the controllers and they've been rock-solid so far (I got them after the whole thumbstick debacle, but before stock dried up). Technically I also have Valve 2.0 lighthouses (HTC branded). So far so good.

I know there is always a bias when looking online as those with issues shout louder than those without.... But is it just me or does index have a high percentage of hardware failures.

There seems to be a lot of regulars on here with indexes who one way or another have had hardware issues. :(

Software problems are a pita and we see plenty of those with all vr devices but they can be fixed without sending units back at least.

It would seem so but in valves defence their customer service and replacement process is pretty good. They send out the replacements in advance in a lot of cases. I had three faulty CV1s (wonky horizon / left headphone) faceache refused to send replacements in advance despite seeing the error logs, left me without a headset for about six weeks, in one instance they sent me a refurb that was in very bad condition.

valve and faceache are still years ahead of HTC for customer service.

I have the stick click issue but it's not bothered me in any of the games I play - I can't use continuous movement.

Other than that, I've been extremely happy with my Index.

Didn’t Palmer Luckey take it upon himself to issue repair kits for faulty Rifts?

Oh yea I forgot about that, did any ever get handed out?

update - looks like you had to have a support ticket from Oculus for Palmer to send one out, from what I can find Oculus seem to be making good in a lot of cases. Example thread below

this one doesn’t paint a good picture for Mr Palmer

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn’t Palmer Luckey take it upon himself to issue repair kits for faulty Rifts?

Yeah so he said. The earphones do seem to be a weakpoint in the rift tho (touch wood and I blame you if it breaks now ;) ) my almost launch CV1 still has working sound and hopefully will last a bit longer. However I wasn't trying to start an oculus Vs the rest of the world fight it is just 1 way or another quite a few of the index owners here seem to have had issues of 1 type or another

Great that valve sort them tho.

I have the stick click issue but it's not bothered me in any of the games I play - I can't use continuous movement.

Other than that, I've been extremely happy with my Index.

Just out of interest, what's the stick click issue? I remember people saying they had it on release but didn't read about it as it didn't affect me then!

My new lighthouse is somewhere in the North Sea at the moment. Fittingly.

Just out of interest, what's the stick click issue? I remember people saying they had it on release but didn't read about it as it didn't affect me then!

My new lighthouse is somewhere in the North Sea at the moment. Fittingly.

When you pressed the stick down in the up direction they didn’t click. It seemed to happen more on the right controller. It was as though the hole under the stick was formed too deep and didn’t allow enough travel to press fully down. There was a diy fix by putting ballbearing in the hole to raise it up a millimetre. It was a minor fault that garnered major publicity.

I also had drift on my controllers where movement was registered even when the sticks were upright. I haven’t had any issues since I got my replacement set.

When you pressed the stick down in the up direction they didn’t click. It seemed to happen more on the right controller. It was as though the hole under the stick was formed too deep and didn’t allow enough travel to press fully down. There was a diy fix by putting ballbearing in the hole to raise it up a millimetre. It was a minor fault that garnered major publicity.

I also had drift on my controllers where movement was registered even when the sticks were upright. I haven’t had any issues since I got my replacement set.

Thanks. Just checked mine and both thumbsticks click cleanly when pressed while pointing up!

Hopeful the replacement lighthouse will be enlightening my VR journey leading to smoother seas tomorrow some time.

Thanks. Just checked mine and both thumbsticks click cleanly when pressed while pointing up!
Check all directions that it clicks when pressed. I don't think it was limited to just one specific direction, i.e. some controllers wouldn't click when pushed to the right etc.

Looks like the Index is back in stock.

EDIT Just realised they ship after 8 weeks!

About that. I was having a nosey yesterday and it seems I ordered one by mistake. I didn't give any detailsn(but obviously valve do have them)

Do I need to do anything to cancel or do I just forget about it and it will auto cancel when the time comes?

Taa.
(And no i am not keeping it ;) )

About that. I was having a nosey yesterday and it seems I ordered one by mistake. I didn't give any detailsn(but obviously valve do have them)

Do I need to do anything to cancel or do I just forget about it and it will auto cancel when the time comes?

Taa.
(And no i am not keeping it ;) )

Mike I did the exact same thing. I pressed order thinking I had several more steps through the cart but no.... one press and ordered.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom