Valve index VR headset

Quick question: in SteamVR Home (or any game with finger tracking) with Index controllers - if you touch the top of the LEFT thumbstick, does it register i.e. show your thumb moving? I'm just talking about touching the top of the stick, not moving or pressing down on it.

My right thumbstick registers the touch with my thumb shown as partially depressed, but touching the left one...nothing. Moving and pressing the left thumbstick works fine of course.

Just checked. There are three touch capacitive areas for the thumbs (same for each controller)
A B buttons, touch pad, and top of thumb sticks.

Have you tested the controllers in the settings section. I recall there being a visual representation of the active inputs.

Have you tested the controllers in the settings section. I recall there being a visual representation of the active inputs.
Ah, that's useful! But sadly just confirms that it's not registering the capacitive sensor on the left thumbstick. :(

Ticket raised with Valve. Sure, it's a very minor problem that doesn't affect any gameplay (yet), but for £260 I expect these things to last at least a year with no defects.

I’ve just spoken to one of my friends who had a similar issue and he told me they sent out the Replacement controller before he sent The defective one back.

I’ve just spoken to one of my friends who had a similar issue and he told me they sent out the Replacement controller before he sent The defective one back.

They did that with my lighthouse. In fact, I still have the faulty one ... oops.

I didn't think the top was touch sensitive.

I didn't think the top was touch sensitive.
Not all games have it enabled. In the steam home environment with the hand models enabled you can test the three touch points for the thumbs.
Touch pad, buttons, stick top.

Not tried it yet but sounds very neat!

Not tried it yet but sounds very neat!

I tried it last night. It’s probably not as good as you think it’s going to be. It needs a lot more work.

You have to switch to the Beta branch and then do a headset FW update.

My cameras don't work on the current set up, support said this was normal
1592737518941.png

I might do if I get a chance later. I`m not to fussed if they are faulty as Valve assured me they would replace the unit at a later date if they didn't work after firmware updates etc. The ticket was opened a month after purchase so its on record.

Note I have not tried this yet but....
Possible way to save over £100 off an index (or just save money on game

£50 of steam credit for £44.09 on cd keys.
Use code PAYPAL2020

Also should get £1.68 topcashback of each voucher.

Buy 19 of them and Bob is your uncle (maybe... Like I said not tried it)

Last edited:
I've had to open another support ticket with Valve over my tracking.

When I'm playing room scale stuff, every few minutes the headset tracking goes completely loopy and the view moves violently upwards and downwards like I'm on a boat in the roughest of seas. Makes me feel as sick as a dog.

Also, then I hold my hands out in front of me in VR, one of them drifts away then pops back into place again, repeatedly.

The hand stuff is very reminiscent of how the Oculus Touch controllers were on launch when using 3 cameras.

I've noticed that the Steam VR window often only has one base station lit up. Sometimes two, but also sometimes one. So I think there's still a problem with one or both of my base stations.

Sim racing is fine, but then I'm stationary with no hand controllers and only really need one sensor.

I suspect one of the lighthouses has a failing motor and isn't getting up to speed.

Thanks - looks like this one was my own silliness in the end.

Had a little Bluetooth subwoofer sat underneath it. Didn't think anything of it, but when the initial Steam response came with the stock 'check this, this and this' stuff I thought 'well it obviously won't be any of the stuff on this list, my kit is obviously broken because I know better' but ran through it anyway and it turned out to be something on the list.

The list, just in case it helps anyone else avoid looking as silly as me.
  • Wireless Routers and access points.
  • Communication equipment, such as baby monitors and cameras.
  • Bluetooth devices, such as speakers or headphones.
  • Peripherals such as IR blasters and Leap Motion trackers.
  • IR cameras and tracking systems such as the Xbox Kinect.
  • Nearby speakers, microwave ovens, or motors.
  • Bright Incandescent light bulbs (intense IR sources).
  • Nearby radio towers.
I've spent an hour or so on it since I switched the subwoofer off and it's been faultless.

That's very weird - BT is only used for power management and wireless firmware updates, not tracking? Unless the Index does something radically different to the Vive.

Yeah maybe it's a coincidence and it just had a good spell.

Tried again this afternoon and got some jumping, but nothing like it was doing earlier in the week. Controller drift a bit too, but I've always had that and just accepted it really.

I'll wait til it really plays up then post them some logs.

Thanks.

The knuckles communicate with the knucklehead via some wireless protocol. Might be Bluetooth, or close enough that other Bluetooth could interfere.

The knuckles communicate with the knucklehead via some wireless protocol. Might be Bluetooth, or close enough that other Bluetooth could interfere.
It's not Bluetooth, but it is on the shared 2.4 band like everything else. However it should play nice with other consumer devices (including the other controller). Unless Ed's subwoofer isn't playing by the rules...

Yeah maybe it's a coincidence and it just had a good spell.

Tried again this afternoon and got some jumping, but nothing like it was doing earlier in the week. Controller drift a bit too, but I've always had that and just accepted it really.

I'll wait til it really plays up then post them some logs.

Thanks.
I think it might be a bad patch with the last couple of SteamVR updates. I`ve been getting random stuttering and drift with the hands at start up. The left hand never shows up until I move the controller around a bit.

Thanks yeah I did wonder. It started again this morning so I've responded to the Steam ticket with some logs. I had a look through them and found this line repeated quite a few times around the time where I was experiencing tracking issues.

Assertion failed: Explicit right sync does not match pending frame

Googled it and it does seem linked to tracking issues - possibly software.

I've been playing pool in Sportsbar VR and it is a particularly stern test of tracking, and it's usually when I lean down for a shot that the headset tracking blows up.

One reddit post suggested a change of USB port. I'll do it. I have hundreds of the things what with me also owning a Rift.

Different USB 3 port in different USB board but made no difference.

Tracking - particularly the headset and left controller - is dreadful.

Coming towards send it back time, I think.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom