Valve index VR headset

The Index HMD is out of stock They must be selling like hot cakes.

But Valves not a manufacturing company. It’s primarily a software company. Index and Knuckles are running off new production lines not ones that switched from one model to the next. I’m sure they’ll get better at it with time.

They are a company which now sell hardware so should act like a competent one.
People being without knuckles for 4 months is inexcusable.

The Index will continue to sell well for a LONG time with no price cut in sight since its still unreleased to a lot of the world.

I don't really judge the Index by if its sold out though, as its all a bit hush hush as to how many sets they're actually manufacturing. I personally guess Valve have kept it quite tight to minimise risk.

Hmmmm they sold as many RiftS according to the Steam Survey. If they both increased by 3% last month. That was off the back of limited sales.

I was never without Knuckles when I returned mine. Not one day.

Considering this is Valves first headset they’ve manufactured themselves and the price of the full kit I would say they’ve done very well.

In fact they are the business model every other VR manufacturer would love to follow. High quality, high turn over, high profit.

If I was GabeN I’d be very happy the way things have gone now early teething problems have been quenched.

Hmmmm they sold as many RiftS according to the Steam Survey. If they both increased by 3% last month. That was off the back of limited sales.

I was never without Knuckles when I returned mine. Not one day.

Considering this is Valves first headset they’ve manufactured themselves and the price of the full kit I would say they’ve done very well.

In fact they are the business model every other VR manufacturer would love to follow. High quality, high turn over, high profit.

If I was GabeN I’d be very happy the way things have gone now early teething problems have been quenched.

Go to the valve index reddit. there are TONNES of people who've been without their controllers for huge time periods. this inconsistency in customer service is not good enough for a premium product IMO.

Their whole subreddit is basically just hardware issues. :(

I hope the teething problems are gone now as I'll be putting in my order soon-ish. I was advised by the reddit not to buy the full kit incase you get sent a duff old one.

I love the colours on the Index in this comparison.

Last edited:
I think there may be a flaw in the Steam survey. A work colleague said that he took part in the most recent one and it showed his index, but it wasn't physically connected to the pc. Does the survey scan for installed drivers?

VRCover are now offering Index accessories...

VRCover's replacement foam and covers became essential purchases for my Vive. The Index is in a different league in terms of comfort compared to the Vive, I'm not sure why we need these? Replacement foams are (sometimes) available from Valve, the FOV is maximised by the eye relief dial and the supplied foam feels very nice on the skin. Only thing I can think of is I'm still not sure how we wash the Index foam even though its easily removed. The VR Covers are comfortable and machine washable.

Not sure I'm in a hurry to invest.

meh. the index's build quality and magnetic face plates are best in class IMO.

unless someone has a specific issue.. wouldnt even entertain their index offerings.

We can now turn brightness up to 140, dunno what that actually means.

Also, framerate can be adjusted without a restart and can be changed from within the HMD.

Last edited:
What’s spinal tap, bone marrow replacement therapy?

What’s spinal tap, bone marrow replacement therapy?
If you are serious and have never seen the film you should. Music is good too (if you like late 70s early 80s metal like Dio or Black Sabbath) . I used to have their album which was inexplicably NOT called "smell the glove" like in the film

Last edited:
They're fantastic.

I saw them live once. Very lucky.

"I know for I told me so".

Fantastic line. Quite fitting for one or two signatures on this forum too.

I've kind of lost track of what's going on with the Knuckles controllers, are they worth considering to upgrade from the original Vive wands or is it still better to wait while they sort out hardware issues?

I've kind of lost track of what's going on with the Knuckles controllers, are they worth considering to upgrade from the original Vive wands or is it still better to wait while they sort out hardware issues?

Even if you ordered now I doubt you would get them before the end of the year.

I guess the longer you wait the less chance of defects but Valve will replace them if they brake.

I would just get them. I’m on my second pair and not confident they won’t go defective next year. Lol

You will want Knuckles before Alyx drops 100%

The only outstanding issue is the joystick depress, with a mixture of reports claiming this may have been quietly resolved.

Mine don't click. I'm not a big fan of FPS VR games and it's never yet bothered me.

Knuckles are a massive improvement over the Vive wands. The wands are so outdated now the Knuckles are pretty much an essential purchase for upcoming games IMO. They ain't cheap though!

Edit: might also be some thumbstick drift but it's not something I've experienced over two sets of Knuckles.

Even if you ordered now I doubt you would get them before the end of the year.

I guess the longer you wait the less chance of defects but Valve will replace them if they brake.

I would just get them. I’m on my second pair and not confident they won’t go defective next year. Lol

You will want Knuckles before Alyx drops 100%

That's alarming for the price you're on a second set and think they might fail again. I'm not remotely bothered about Alyx sounds like it's worth waiting a while.

That's alarming for the price you're on a second set and think they might fail again. I'm not remotely bothered about Alyx sounds like it's worth waiting a while.

Yeah if you’re not into Alyx and scared of defects best to wait another 6 months.

Yeah if you’re not into Alyx and scared of defects best to wait another 6 months.

I'm not scared of defects, it's just I expect when spending nearly 300 pounds on hardware it actually works reliably which I don't think is unreasonable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom