VHS camera?

bobbymax

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Apologies if the wrong forum (mods?)
Long shot question.....
My wife has inherited a Panasonic NV-M5 VHS HQ movie cam from her dad, who passed away. It's in perfect condition and works when connected to the mains (battery is flat, and probably needs replacing).
Yes I know, it's very old tech.:rolleyes:

But there are also a couple of tapes from when she/family was young, and I'd like to get it working for her to view them, and maybe get them converted to DVDs.
My problem is...
It requires a couple of cables to connect to the TV, which isn't there. In the manual, it stated they are optional, so not part of the gear.
There are no part numbers or identification names, just relevant to this camera I guess?
Anyway. Does anyone have any ideas on this at all?
Thanks in advance.

Bob

Pictures of the sockets might help also what connection options does the TV support? :)

thanks Jim. (If I've remembered your name correctly? :D)

The two leads I want is the ones marked "optional"
There is no other information I'm afraid.

Attachments

• VHS Camera2.jpg
    VHS Camera2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 168
This should probably be moved to the camcorder forum.

I've found this good picture of the PSU with the audio/video connections:

Panasonic_NVM5_Output.jpg

Also page 11 of the manual shows the outputs as well:

The lower connection on the side looks like a standard phono connector but I'm not sure what the one on top is, it looks like a BNC connector but I can't think what that would connect to on a standard TV?

It does appear to have a standard RF output on the back which would mean you could connect it to something else with a standard co-ax cable.

Can the VHS tapes it's recorded play back on a normal VHS player? If so that would make it a lot easier to convert them and likely much better quality as well.

If it's only a couple of tapes then I would probably use a professional service rather than try to source a lead for a VHS camcorder.
A quick Google shows that Snappy Snaps and Asda can do it for a price - there are other Google results that look to be cheaper.

You may get further suggestions - or perhaps someone with the kit themselves in the camcorder forum

Moved to camcorders

Thanks, guys.
Yes, I will eventually get them transferred professionally, but I'm on a mission now.
So will keep trying to get it working for the TV, even if it's a bridge too far :laugh:
There are 13 tapes altogether

Looks like a BNC connector for video and a phono connector for audio.
Looks like also an RF output also, a standard aerial lead. Analogue channel 38! 36!

You can see whats on the tapes in the viewfinder. If there are 13, the first thing to do is decide what tapes/sections you want to keep. A local camcorder club may be able to transfer the parts that are important to you, but they won't want to go through 39 hours.

I could try and connect to my Desktop PC.
I have Sony Vegas movie studio HD platinum 10 and could edit the bits out if I could get it onto digital.
So might be a professional job to get to DVD first.
Unless there's a way to just get in onto the PC from the cam?

Thanks for the link Emerton, but I wouldn't know what to look for :blush:

I could try and connect to my Desktop PC.
I have Sony Vegas movie studio HD platinum 10 and could edit the bits out if I could get it onto digital.
So might be a professional job to get to DVD first.
Unless there's a way to just get in onto the PC from the cam?

Camera has firewire I think so reasonably easy to capture on PC?

Jim

Really?
Where is that situated, and how would I connect it (dummy talking here:blush: )

Camera has firewire I think so reasonably easy to capture on PC?

Jim
I very much doubt that a VHS camcorder will have a firewire port.

Something like this would be required to get the video tapes onto a PC - Amazon product ASIN B003D8VQIG
Plus a BNC>phono and a phono>phono cable to connect the cam to the USB device.

Mark.

Really?
Where is that situated, and how would I connect it (dummy talking here:blush: )

Let me check the manual I saw in case it was for the wrong one.....

Sorry folks definitely no firewire :blush:

You are lucky if the old tapes are in good condition and I suggest you avoid repeated playing.
Transferring to a DVD is probably your best option - abut if you want to get a professional transfer done with Edits, that's likely to be more expensive.... maybe better to transfer the lot and do the Editing once you have a Digital Master Disc ( or several ).
Doing the transfer yourself means the tape doesn't leave your possession. There is always a risk when you hand over a tape, as it is likely to be sent to another site for action.

If you join a local Film-making club, there may be someone there with a working DVD-recorder ( getting rare! ), which will accept a SCART input or S-Video ( small round connector with pins ), as this allows a direct recording to a HDD ( with basic Editing facilities ), When this is satisfactory, you can burn to DVD. If you have a VCR that will play these tapes ( maybe using a VHS-C adaptor ( also very rare nowadays ) ), then you will know the head alignment is satisfactory. A generous donation to Club-Funds may be sufficient.... but the process of Editing is best left to you, who can judge when to "cut".
Editing software is another ball-game, but at least you'll have the DVDs.... which you should transfer to a PC's second HDD ASAP....before you damage the DVD.... Commercial DVDs are much more robust, compared with "Recordable DVDs"

Good Luck.

Thanks, Harry.

You could be right, I haven't been able to see any of the tapes so they may not be much good.
One thing I thought about, was trying to get one of those VHS/DVD recorders.
I've seen some on eBay, but not sure whether to risk buying or not.

funnily, I used to have a VHS/C camera and an adapter for my VHS recorder back in the day.
Unfortunately, I left the batteries in it and it Bu**ered it up.:(
I will try to get one, as I have several VHSc tapes as well.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
To view you need a bnc video cable and phono audio cable, if you have a tv set with a scart input there are leads available such as:
cheap option to view but could also be used with a dvd recorder

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
No scart on my TV just HDMI.
So can I get the same arrangement of RCA & BNC to HDMI?

What TV do you have? Most have a legacy socket, but it might be disguised as a mini jack or similar. If this is the case, you just need some adapters to make it work.

OK, thanks.
I have an LG OLED 55BPLA TV. There are 4 HDMI, one is "ARK"
I'm not sure what a Legacy socket is TBO

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom