VHS tape showing black and white stripe?

JoeLX

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

First time posting! I'm currently trying to digitally capture all my old family VHS tapes. The issue I'm having is my Samsung DVD-V6800 DVD/VCR combo player is displaying a horizontal band in the image only in black and white while the rest of the image is in full colour? See pictures attached! The intensity of this desaturated section varies but is always visible and is occurring on multiple different tapes. At the moment I don't have access to another VHS player to test. I've tried cleaning the heads on the player too with no change. Any advice would be much appreciated as I can't seam to fine anyone online with this same issue!

Thanks!

Joe

Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 13.02.09.png

What TV is it connected to (Brand/Model no) and how is it connected?

What TV is it connected to (Brand/Model no) and how is it connected?
Connecting via composite video to multiple displays. One a LCD TV with a direct component input and the other using a component to HDMI converter going into an HDMI capture card. Both seam to result in the same issue

Ah my mistake in saying component instead of composite in my reply! Yes I am using the yellow composite video output and having the issue

Can you upload a picture of the LCD TV showing where the composite from the VCR is plugged in to?

Hi,

First time posting! I'm currently trying to digitally capture all my old family VHS tapes. The issue I'm having is my Samsung DVD-V6800 DVD/VCR combo player is displaying a horizontal band in the image only in black and white while the rest of the image is in full colour? See pictures attached! The intensity of this desaturated section varies but is always visible and is occurring on multiple different tapes. At the moment I don't have access to another VHS player to test. I've tried cleaning the heads on the player too with no change. Any advice would be much appreciated as I can't seam to fine anyone online with this same issue!

Thanks!

Joe

View attachment 1283951
I did exactly what you are doing about 10 years ago and I had similar problems. If I remember correctly VHS data is stored helically with a timing track to reassemble the image and sound. Unfortunately the data degrades over time which can pruduce similar results to the ones you are seeing. I certainly experienced similar issues. I fixed most of it by buying a Time Base Corrector (have a look on amazon) which attempts to regenerate the timing track, it's not 100% but it certainly cleaned up many of my old tapes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom