Question VHS to digital questions and problems

gaogier

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello

Not sure if this is the correct place, sorry if its not, can it please be moved not locked or deleted.

I am trying to get some old VHS-c tapes (using VHS player) to digital.

I have brought a conversion kit and the adapters, but it won't focus on the video, I just get a jumpy frame every so often.

I use a macbook, using easy cap viewer software.
I am using this converter kit http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Y10195A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
I am also using a scart phono converter.

Any ideas why I only get the blue screen and some random frames?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Does the tape play OK if the VHS player is connected to a TV ?

You probably need a Time Base Corrector - a TBC, which re-clocks and cleans up the video image.

If you have a really old Mac, it could be that it is not keeping up with the incoming video stream, but anything less than a few years old should be absolutely fine.

If the jump happens quite randomly then I would go with needing a TBC, but if the jump has a regular pattern, then it could be a capture issue. Make sure you have NOTHING else running on the Mac and try not to even tough the machine, as even moving the mouse can cause frame drops.

I have tried this with my tivo. and I can get video and recording perfectly.

It has to be something to do with the VHS player/tapes.

The VHS tapes jump only where damaged otherwise places like a vhs tape quality.

My mac is 2009, and as said above in this post, it works using tivo and my xbox 360, not tested on my newer xbox one.

I get the pictures on the mac when and only I first play the tapes.

TBC then. This will freeze frame if the signal drops, but will cope a lot better than the capture card.

So any ideas on what I need to do to fix this and get it working?

Would a new or different VHS player fix the issue?

Any anyone know how to get a chinon sound 5100 to digital would work? or would I need a professional?

A new VHS player might help. The usual advice is to use the machine you recorded the tapes on. Failing that, the best you can find. There are some commercial VHS players with built in stabilisers. We used to use one of these Panasonic AG-7650 VHS SVHS Professional Video Cassette Player for copying tapes, as it has a built in TBC and you can monitor the head RF level and adjust the tracking to get the best picture.

To copy 8mm to digital, Hama TeleScreen Video Transfer Daylight Screen - Video Accessories - Camera Accessories - Accessories - Harrison Cameras Something like this will work quite well. A good DSLR works well, or better still a camcorder with manual control, so you can turn off any automatic shutter, as this can cause rolling lines on the picture.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom