VHS to digital - Video is flickering..

Scoreplay

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently went to the purchase of various equipment to digitize the old VHS tapes from my childhood. But have now come up with a problem...

I use the following software: ArcSoft ShowBiz 5 (newest version), and a Nedis Video Grabber USB 2.0.
In the software the movie is flickering, aswell as when I record it and watch it afterwards. Audio is top notch! But the video is flickering...

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening to me? And any solutions to fix the problem..?

Attachments

• nr1.PNG
    nr1.PNG
    3.7 MB · Views: 463
  • nr2.PNG
    nr2.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 444
Looks like you need some video stabilisation there. A true time based corrector would be the best solution, but you may get away with a cheaper video stabiliser.

Do you get a stable picture on a TV? If not, you may need to look at a different VCR, as the heads may be shot on your current unit. The tapes also degrade over time, shedding oxide and eventually becoming unplayable, as they block up the heads as soon as they are played.

Looks like you need some video stabilisation there. A true time based corrector would be the best solution, but you may get away with a cheaper video stabiliser.

Do you get a stable picture on a TV? If not, you may need to look at a different VCR, as the heads may be shot on your current unit. The tapes also degrade over time, shedding oxide and eventually becoming unplayable, as they block up the heads as soon as they are played.

Hi,
On a TV the picture is stable. So what to do then?

Are the tapes commercial tapes - old films etc. or stuff you recorded on a camcorder?

Anything pre-recorded will have copycode protection and we don't discuss the means to remove this. (But read my first post regarding stabilisers...)

If it's personally recorded stuff, then try a video stabiliser first. Ebay may be your best source for this.

Are the tapes commercial tapes - old films etc. or stuff you recorded on a camcorder?

Anything pre-recorded will have copycode protection and we don't discuss the means to remove this. (But read my first post regarding stabilisers...)

If it's personally recorded stuff, then try a video stabiliser first. Ebay may be your best source for this.

The tapes are old films from my childhood and older. But I think they got recorded on a camcorder.
I will look up stabilisers, but do you have any recommendations? Or perhaps a link to a product?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom