VIDEO: Dolby discuss HDR and Dolby Vision at CES 2016 - video discussion

So there no Ultra Hd players with Dolby vision Support yet? o_O

Thats sumting to think of buying a player to have that included.

I believe that the chipset isn't available yet but it makes no sense to delay the launch of Ultra HD Blu-ray players for any longer.

Steve, am I right in assuming that Dolby Vision uses a compressed signal that can be passed via a legacy 10gbit and 2.2 copy protection HDMI pipeline and does not need the 18gbit 2.0a bandwidth required by HD10 to work? Thanks, Paul H

As far as I'm aware Paul Dolby Vision doesn't compress anything and HDR10 doesn't require 18Gbit to work, after all the Sony VW520 supports HDR10 and it uses a 10Gbit HDMI 2.0a input.

Guessing Lg will make Dolby vision players to go with they 2016 Oled range.

It's not ideal if players are launching without support, and it's not clear from the disks themselves which standards they support (its bad enough with the various new audio formats). Also I wonder how many articles we'll see in the future complaining about the look of the remastered films.

Im want a player with dolby vision so its not "out dated" inna year will be a Lg dolby vision tv down the line for me.

So HDR10 will always be attainable from UHD Blu, but what of Netflix if they only support DV? Is it possible to still display HDR10 on a TV that only supports that?

I do not know why I thought that Panasonic's player was supporting DV. I had the impression that in the video the man from Panasonic said that they will.

The THX guy in the THX video definitely says (around 07:40) that the Pana doesn't support Dolby Vision.

Im want a player with dolby vision so its not "out dated" inna year will be a Lg dolby vision tv down the line for me.
If a player can only do HDR10 its still going to look fantastic.
When dolby does the mastering they'll have to make the required HDR10 layer look great as well.
It makes sense to wait for DV if your buying a new tv this year.
But I certainly don't consider my EF950V 'outdated'.

Well as my tv can't do DV and it seems neither can the first batch of spinners , I might as well go with the cheaper samsung offering . Looks like another convoluted roll out of a new format that will do more harm than good for the consumer.

Last edited:
Big mess the whole 4k

If a player can only do HDR10 its still going to look fantastic.
When dolby does the mastering they'll have to make the required HDR10 layer look great as well.
It makes sense to wait for DV if your buying a new tv this year.
But I certainly don't consider my EF950V 'outdated'.

Always seen my as a gaming tv.

It's not ideal if players are launching without support, and it's not clear from the disks themselves which standards they support (its bad enough with the various new audio formats). Also I wonder how many articles we'll see in the future complaining about the look of the remastered films.
I've seen the packing for the new UHD Blu-ray discs and they do make it clear if they support Dolby Vision or not. At the moment Warners, Sony and Universal support it and Fox don't, with Disney and Paramount currently unannounced either way. As far as the look goes, as long as the HD mastering is done carefully and with the content creator's consent, then I don't think anyone will have an issue.

So HDR10 will always be attainable from UHD Blu, but what of Netflix if they only support DV? Is it possible to still display HDR10 on a TV that only supports that?
Netflix use Dolby Vision, so there will still be the base HDR10 signal which is then augmented by Dolby Vision using metadata.

I've seen the packing for the new UHD Blu-ray discs and they do make it clear if they support Dolby Vision or not. At the moment Warners, Sony and Universal support it and Fox don't, with Disney and Paramount currently unannounced either way. As far as the look goes, as long as the HD mastering is done carefully and with the content creator's consent, then I don't think anyone will have an issue.

Would it be fair to say then that Dolby Vision seems to be produced to give the best hdr experience possible from the source and hdr10 seems to be good enough to cover the current technology so for this years tvs either will ultimately look the same with the caveat that tomorrows tv may start to show a difference?

If that is the case DV authored content would have a longer lifespan, hdr10 may be ok but will people have to rebuy the same content to unlock even wider colour space 3 years down the road when UHD tvs have matured even further?

Tv panel wise it would seem less important for now, but for av amplifiers, players and authored content could it be a bigger deal which is why some tv makers seem less worried about it at this time?

Netflix use Dolby Vision, so there will still be the base HDR10 signal which is then augmented by Dolby Vision using metadata.

And that hits the nail on the head if I'm not mistaken Steve. All the differing HDR standards = consumer confusion.

Correct me if I am wrong here - if there is a 'base HDR10' signal on ALL content anyway, that still means that the consumer will benefit from a better picture regardless of which type of HDR equipped display they own because the display will recognise the 'presence' of HDR content.

So confusion aside, it's still a win -win either way.

That's good, pretty much what I thought with the big players only supporting HDR10 on the new models, but it just creates massive confusion for potential owners with no direct answers easy to find. Ahhhh love new standards!

Yes all HDR capable TVs support HDR10 as a minimum and then some, like LG's new OLEDs, also support Dolby Vision. However, regardless of whether the content uses HDR10 (Fox, Amazon and YouTube) or Dolby Vision (Warners, Sony, Universal and Netflix), the HDR capable TV owner will still get at least the benefit of HDR10 - which looks fantastic.

In fact at the moment there is no TV that can handle a peak brightness higher than 1,000 nits, so none of them can actually take full advantage of Dolby Vision's 4,000 nits of peak brightness. The reason that many content providers are using Dolby Vision is to provide a degree of future-proofing so that the content will remain cutting-edge for a long time.

The other reason that Dolby Vision is proving popular is that it is designed to precisely map the content to the display's capabilities using metadata. HDR10 can also do this but it will depend on how Fox or Amazon decide to implement it, whilst with Dolby Vision it's a fundamental part of the specs.

Yes all HDR capable TVs support HDR10 as a minimum and then some, like LG's new OLEDs, also support Dolby Vision. However, regardless of whether the content uses HDR10 (Fox, Amazon and YouTube) or Dolby Vision (Warners, Sony, Universal and Netflix), the HDR capable TV owner will still get at least the benefit of HDR10 - which looks fantastic.

In fact at the moment there is no TV that can handle a peak brightness higher than 1,000 nits, so none of them can actually take full advantage of Dolby Vision's 4,000 nits of peak brightness. The reason that many content providers are using Dolby Vision is to provide a degree of future-proofing so that the content will remain cutting-edge for a long time.

The other reason that Dolby Vision is proving popular is that it is designed to precisely map the content to the display's capabilities using metadata. HDR10 can also do this but it will depend on how Fox or Amazon decide to implement it, whilst with Dolby Vision it's a fundamental part of the specs.

HDR10 content can also be mastered using the Dolby monitors that peak at 4000nits. Both HDR10 and Dolby Vision content have a max theoretical peak of 10000nits, not 4000nits. 4000nits is just the peak of the brightest monitor capable of grading HDR content at the moment. A display doesn't have to be able to display 4000nits to make the most of Dolby Vision.

It's the bit depth that makes the biggest difference with Dolby Vision, which is able to use 12bits thanks to its extra layer, instead of the 10bits of HDR10. This means less banding, irrespective of the peak brightness of the end-user display. And this benefit should be visible on any display able to display 12bits (like the new JVCs, which unfortunately don't support Dolby Vision).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom