Video doorbell using ethernet

bartjunited

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all any recommendations for a video doorbell that supports ethernet connectivity.
I've had a ring doorbell and the WiFi connectivity is so hot and miss I want something I can connect to the network via ethernet.
If it supports additional cameras too that can connect to the network via ethernet even better.
Thanks in advance

Bart

Byron DIC-23112UK might be an option?

Which HIK one would you suggest.
Does POE mean that if connected to Ethernet it provides power and Ethernet? I was thinking of connecting the bell to a WiFi extender plug via ethernet,?

Forgot to ask if you know if I can add a screen in the house to view and answer the door with?
And potentially CCTV cameras later?

The WiFi on the Ring is terrible. It might be worth trying the Nest Hello.

I have been happy with Doorbird D101, POE. image quality is a little nasty, but does actually work over a good 4G connection. I also have it recording 24/7 on a Synology NAS.

I wrote up my experience with Doorbird when I had it installed & there are some more followups in that thread -

3 years on, no issues. It's worked all that time without problems and connection is rock solid & quick.

The main alternative would be a Ring Elite, but that is quite a bit more expensive, so really only worth considering if you want to buy into Amazon's future platform I guess.

Last edited:
thumbs up here too for Doorbird !

Great product and good support when needed :D

also worth mentioning that DoorBird has excellent integration into things like Home Assistant

Home Assistant

:D

I wrote up my experience with Doorbird when I had it installed & there are some more followups in that thread -

3 years on, no issues. It's worked all that time without problems and connection is rock solid & quick.

The main alternative would be a Ring Elite, but that is quite a bit more expensive, so really only worth considering if you want to buy into Amazon's future platform I guess.
Do you have d101s?
Does this have a straight rj45 connection into it and powered by 12v power supply?

Do you have d101s?
Does this have a straight rj45 connection into it and powered by 12v power supply?

Yes the d101s. I had it professionally installed as I had no existing wiring at all to work with and my network PoE switch under the stairs. From what I understand there's no rj45 port, but instead the Ethernet is crimped into place and also supplies power over Ethernet. If you don't use PoE then there is a power adapter and also potential to wire to existing doorbell power of available. Looks like the D101s manual is not online anymore, but you can see images of the rear if you Google.

Just been searching for POE video doorbells and found this post. I have a Video Ring Doorbell (for many years) and I just hate the lag (RSSI is in the 70s !!).

Not interested in and further troubleshooting in regards to Ring Video Doorbells. I really cannot justify the cost of the Ring Video Doorbell Elite which has POE.

Just can't go wrong with POE versus WiFi.

Just wondering if anyone is now using any brand that is reliable and cheaper today ?

I'm even willing to take a punt on a non branded Chinese one from Allibaba or AliExpress.

Thanks

Just been searching for POE video doorbells and found this post. I have a Video Ring Doorbell (for many years) and I just hate the lag (RSSI is in the 70s !!).

Not interested in and further troubleshooting in regards to Ring Video Doorbells. I really cannot justify the cost of the Ring Video Doorbell Elite which has POE.

Just can't go wrong with POE versus WiFi.

Just wondering if anyone is now using any brand that is reliable and cheaper today ?

I'm even willing to take a punt on a non branded Chinese one from Allibaba or AliExpress.

Thanks

Not sure if this helps, I know your asking about POE, however the original Ring doorbells were absolutely terrible for WiFi performance. I spoke to someone at Ring years back who admitted they were seriously flawed (WiFi chip design issues) and even the repeaters they gave away free didn’t help most people. So don’t assume that because your Ring is poor all WiFi doorbells will be the same. My Nest hello is in the same place and has been flawless, even with 24/7 recording not missing a beat. The Ring was unusable, and I tried everything (repeater, different channels, new router, etc).

I would recommend the DoorBird If budget is not so tight otherwise the Hikvision DS-kb8113-ime1

Both are Ethernet and Poe

Not sure if this helps, I know your asking about POE, however the original Ring doorbells were absolutely terrible for WiFi performance. I spoke to someone at Ring years back who admitted they were seriously flawed (WiFi chip design issues) and even the repeaters they gave away free didn’t help most people. So don’t assume that because your Ring is poor all WiFi doorbells will be the same. My Nest hello is in the same place and has been flawless, even with 24/7 recording not missing a beat. The Ring was unusable, and I tried everything (repeater, different channels, ne router, etc).
Thanks, I'll look into that. And yes, I did wonder if they were all the same, and as I guessed, they are not.

I would recommend the DoorBird If budget is not so tight otherwise the Hikvision DS-kb8113-ime1

Both are Ethernet and Poe
Those are the only other two POE video doorbells that have come up on my internet searching. However, I'd like to hear from someone who is actually using either of these. Thanks.

What is the exact model number of the Hikvision that you use?

Hikvision DS-kb8113-ime1

Watch out for people advertising the previous model which was rubbish

I'll check it out right now, thanks for the heads up .

Does this work by simply plugging in the ethernet cable direct from my router, is it that easy ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom