Video Editing Bangs per Buck

Few of us can experience a whole range of Gear, or software for that matter (As observed on this Thread, earlier: Bob++ #12.).

So, I have to admit to reading the UK mag. - Computer Shopper, latest version is Feb2012 (Yep!) and they still say Vegas Studio is the best vid Editor. I don't think it's entirely price (although that must help), rather it is the features and ease of use, etc. I also share their view on camcorders, low-light and various other techy bits. Indeed without them I'd have to form my own opinions without any tech back-up.

vkmast - I wonder if your DVD process is worthy of a fresh thread? I'm OK as far as the Render process is concerned in Vegas Studio. . . . but I've found a method of making "ordinary" DVDs (I drag the .avi file under the Menu tree). Can you supply a blow-by blow Method . . . I'm prepared to install "Splash Lite" to view the outcome.
---Could you?---

A few of the features you get in Magix Edit Pro as standard missing from the cheaper Vegas production suite. Down to individuals to decide if it's worth the extra.

Full 5.1 support to DVD's, AVCHD HD and Blu-ray discs and export to standard files. Includes the capability to animate a mono sound effect across the 5 positional channels.

Anyone who wants to see a simple demo of the 5.1 audio editor in action download this DVD image (.iso) and burn it to a dvd blank. Imgburn will do the job. Makes a handy speaker location test for a 5.1 AV setup.

http://www.4shared.com/file/D6HBXts1/AC3MK2Test.html

Full 3D motion path animation of timeline objects (including 3D titles).

Full Menu and chapter support for all supported burning capability. (including animated menus).

Faster smart rendering especially if you have nvidia graphics cards.

Read the feature list here

More than 60 innovations - MAGIX UK

Last edited:
grahamlthompson:
Odd then, that Computer Shopper still thinks Vegas Studio the best Editor around?
(Feb2012 issue, p56. Full review, issue Sept 2011).

I thought VS v11 did 5.1 audio, I recall strange "location" wheels - - - but you have to have 5.1 speakers attached.
Mine's v10 and I think that does, - but I don't have the extra speakers to try. Possibly one needs the camera to be 5.1 also.

((Your download looks like a good idea for anyone setting-up 5.1, - although I can't speak for the download itself))

I'm sure 3D titles are available in VS v11 - they may not be as good as Magix, but you are saying they don't exist!
Particularly interesting (for me) is the Pro-Titler that made its way into VS v11 giving a degree of animation to titles, just like the Pro-version. I understand this gives each letter its own Keyframe. . . . nice!

Not sure about Menu/chapter business, - but Architect is so comprehensive, I'd be surprised if it can't "almost" make the tea. I read that the "M-markers" (carried-over from VS ), can be used to make chapters in the DVD, so you can jump to a specific scene - something Commercial DVD provides, but for my own efforts there is not enough content. You can use a movie file (in Architect), in the title sequence, but why?
Frankly, I just glad when I get a burnt multi-title DVD out of my PC.

The smart-rendering may be true, but I can't imagine Sony software bods are behind the curve on this; always wanting more, for less as it were.
"Smart-Render" is a Magix tradename, so no-one else will use it . . . but that doesn't mean the idea is unique. However, not everyone will have that video-card and I suspect Sony might baulk at promoting one Mfr card unless the same Tech is available in the Sony Notebooks. I wonder, does it save much time? - it's a very-catchy name, so Magix did well to register it.

When you buy Vegas Movie Studio, all versions come with DVD Architect (DYOR) - this now includes the option for BlueRay as well as making all kinds of fancy effects on the menu-buttons, backgrounds and a whole host besides - but it's all beyond me. I just want a few DVD's to play on my TV (for checking!) and ultimately on a widescreen projector for mass-viewing, with other folks efforts.

Whilst burning a DVD is essential, IMHO the "Art" is in the Editing - that's where a vid is made/destroyed . . . sometimes it need only be a frame, or two - but if you don't spot it . . . it's done-for.

Last edited:
grahamlthompson:
Odd then, that Computer Shopper still thinks Vegas Studio the best Editor around?
(Feb2012 issue, p56. Full review, issue Sept 2011).

I thought VS v11 did 5.1 audio, I recall strange "location" wheels - - - but you have to have 5.1 speakers attached.
Mine's v10 and I think that does, - but I don't have the extra speakers to try. Possibly one needs the camera to be 5.1 also.

((Your download looks like a good idea for anyone setting-up 5.1, - although I can't speak for the download itself))

I'm sure 3D titles are available in VS v11 - they may not be as good as Magix, but you are saying they don't exist!
Particularly interesting (for me) is the Pro-Titler that made its way into VS v11 giving a degree of animation to titles, just like the Pro-version. I understand this gives each letter its own Keyframe. . . . nice!

Not sure about Menu/chapter business, - but Architect is so comprehensive, I'd be surprised if it can't "almost" make the tea. I read that the "M-markers" (carried-over from VS ), can be used to make chapters in the DVD, so you can jump to a specific scene - something Commercial DVD provides, but for my own efforts there is not enough content. You can use a movie file (in Architect), in the title sequence, but why?
Frankly, I just glad when I get a burnt multi-title DVD out of my PC.

The smart-rendering may be true, but I can't imagine Sony software bods are behind the curve on this; always wanting more, for less as it were.
"Smart-Render" is a Magix tradename, so no-one else will use it . . . but that doesn't mean the idea is unique. However, not everyone will have that video-card and I suspect Sony might baulk at promoting one Mfr card unless the same Tech is available in the Sony Notebooks. I wonder, does it save much time? - it's a very-catchy name, so Magix did well to register it.

When you buy Vegas Movie Studio, all versions come with DVD Architect (DYOR) - this now includes the option for BlueRay as well as making all kinds of fancy effects on the menu-buttons, backgrounds and a whole host besides - but it's all beyond me. I just want a few DVD's to play on my TV (for checking!) and ultimately on a widescreen projector for mass-viewing, with other folks efforts.

Whilst burning a DVD is essential, IMHO the "Art" is in the Editing - that's where a vid is made/destroyed . . . sometimes it need only be a frame, or two - but if you don't spot it . . . it's done-for.

Don't believe everything you read. I speak from personal experience I have both the latest Sony Vegas and Magix software.

You can move any object in 3 directions including live video in Magix. You can only do so in 2D in Sony Vegas Prod Suite (you need the pro version for that)

Smart Rendering is not a Magix trade name it's been available for years.

The very first ulead pro DVD authoring packages use it as do many other packages. (Including the Vegas pro package)

These include TMPG

TMPGEnc - Products: TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 with DivX® Authoring

Videoredo

VideoReDo MPEG Video Editing Software

Sony

https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4865/~/smart-rendering-in-vegas-pro

Serif

MoviePlus X5: MPX5 AVCHD rendering speed or smart rendering - Serif Software Forums

Sony are just too mean to incorporate these more advanced features in their consumer editing packages.

I'll put something up on Vimeo to show what I mean by rotaing about the Z axis (3d).

Last edited:
As promised.

A single frame exported as a BMP animated

720 degree horizontal rotate, 720 vertical rotate, both combined. (no audio)

There's some talented editors on here who love a challenge (Jonna that's you :D). I've tried to emulate same in Vegas 11 without success. Anyone fancy a bash at it :)

3D animation in Magix Pro on Vimeo

Sorry can't seem to make the embedded video work like you can with You Tube.

Last edited:
Couldn't resist the challenge Graham :D and what a pain it was :rolleyes:.
Sony Vegas Movie Studio, single image - transitions - 3D fly in -alter rotation (x y z) -render, rendered file - pan/crop - cut - adjust speed - render and it's still not as good as yours using Magix

Time for a beer :).

Just to note that you can achieve this effect using NewBlue fx but i didn't use this because as far a i'm aware it's not available on the Sony Vegas Movie Studio standard version.

Last edited:
:smashin:
Sony Vegas Movie Studio, single image - transitions - 3D fly in -alter rotation (x y z) -render, rendered file - pan/crop - cut - adjust speed - render and it's still not as good as yours using Magix
3d.mp4 - YouTube

Just to note that you can achieve this effect using NewBlue fx but i didn't use this because as far a i'm aware it's not available on the Sony Vegas Movie Studio standard version.

I knew if anyone could manage it would be you :D Well done :smashin:

Have a nice Xmas.

Cheers Graham and if i had to do that effect regular i think i'd buy Magix :laugh:

Last edited:
3d.mp4 - YouTube

Very well done
there are however easy to use software like Anime Studio ,, just wonder if they wouldn't have made easier work of it
I very often make Slide shows in Pro Show Gold then output to mpeg2 and put some zing in in Vegas instead of doing it all in Vegas

Very well done
there are however easy to use software like Anime Studio ,, just wonder if they wouldn't have made easier work of it
I very often make Slide shows in Pro Show Gold then output to mpeg2 and put some zing in in Vegas instead of doing it all in Vegas

Thanks Senu, i don't doubt there are far easier ways of achieving that effect but we wanted to know if Sony Vegas Media Studio could.

720 degrees? that's amazing!

Why it's just two complete revolutions between two keyframes. 1440 would have been 4 revolutions.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
A BD player £60 or less now is a must,with rewritable disc Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: SONY BD-RE Blu-ray (25GB) rewritable disc
and the difference in quality over dvd huge,if the price difference between avchd disc is worked out it would be very little in minutes per pence,software is what you are happiest working with as long as it does the business.

A DVD single layer blank is about 1/5th of the capacity of a BD blank. Bought in 50's they are about 16p each. An equivalent BD blank would therefore cost about 80p. Quality blanks are roughly double this (I use Panasonic blanks), cheaper ones have never proved reliable with my BD burner.

This ignores the fact that most won't actually use all the capacity of a BD blank.

AVCHD is ideal for HD slide shows where the 25GB capacity of a single layer BD blank is never required.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Paying a bit more is worth it to me,a BD blank in a case is more expensive than discs in a spindle but i prefer cases,i have made dozens of avchd discs but prefer paying the extra for bd in which the extra mbps show in certain circumstances.Verbatim are my prefered disc.

Paying a bit more is worth it to me,a BD blank in a case is more expensive than discs in a spindle but i prefer cases,i have made dozens of avchd discs but prefer paying the extra for bd in which the extra mbps show in certain circumstances.Verbatim are my prefered disc.

I never change the bitrate of AVCHD clips so where's the extra bitrate :confused:

Apart from titles and transistions they are identical to the original clips.

Never heard the term before, but if thats what it's called, fair enough

90 degrees is a quarter of a full rev, 180 degrees is half a full revolution. 360 degrees is a full revolution. If you do a 360 in a car you do a full spin and end up facing the same way. Schoolboy geometry.

I just wanted to have a go as well. Graham is much cleverer than I am and I just fumble my way around. This effort from a still I had from last year's snow, took me about 30 minutes to create from scratch. Considering I had never done it before, and I rendered it three times before I was satisfied, I don't think it's too bad although it is a bit jerky.

That's great Bob (not cleverer just have used nle's for years), the jerkiness is likely down to the Youtube process. What's the resolution of the original source files and the output file. If 1080i it would be interesting to see what Vimeo makes of it in HD. If you want to upload the exported mp4 to a file share site I can upload it if you wish.

Fourshared is very good and free.

Sorry but what exactly is the point of this?

If you had read the thread you would know. It's down to the capabilities of Magix Edit Pro vs Sony's Movie Studio software.

I have read the thread and I don't see how making video spin around is an important factor in choosing your editing software

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom