Video files will not play from HDD on TV

marcaaron22

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have just connected an external HDD to my Samsung TV all the video files and folders come up ok, but the video files will not play, also tried it through the Panasonic Blu Ray player, same thing happens,
The video files are .AVI
TV is Samsung QE65Q6FNA
Blu Ray player is Panasonic DP-UB820
HDD is Maxtor M3 External Hard Drive (1TB, USB 3.0)
Also, using an Amazon Basics 1 metre USB extension cable (USB 3.0) as the USB cable provided with the HDD is not long enough to be able to have the HDD sitting on a flat surface.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Are you using an ext psu with the HDD or powering it from USB on the TV?

Are you using an ext psu with the HDD or powering it from USB on the TV?
Powering it from USB on the TV
It worked perfectly on my previous Samsung 64” plasma TV

Make sure it's in the correct USB port.
Some are intended for use with a HDD are marked as such and supply a higher current (900mA) as opposed to a std USB port which supports a max current draw of 500mA.

Make sure it's in the correct USB port.
Some are intended for use with a HDD are marked as such and supply a higher current (900mA) as opposed to a std USB port which supports a max current draw of 500mA.
I plug the HDD in the second USB slot, the first USB slot, the HDD doesn’t even show up..

Attachments

• E7525100-75CB-4E19-A1BF-B5B41598D713.jpeg
    E7525100-75CB-4E19-A1BF-B5B41598D713.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 77
I plug the HDD in the second USB slot (where it states HDD), the first USB slot, the HDD doesn’t even show up..
Where it states HDD, that’s where I connect the HDD to

Were the recordings on the HDD made on your previous Samsung TV?
If so, they won't be playable on your new TV.
Recordings made from the guide on a TV can only be played back on the same TV.

Last edited:
Were the recordings on the HDD made on your previous Samsung TV?
If so, they won't play.
No, it’s just video files of stuff from VHS tapes that were copied onto the HDD from a laptop/PC, I got the HDD from someone who had complete episodes of a TV programme that you cannot get on DVD

Just tried it on the Samsung TV that I have in my bedroom, its playing perfectly on there

Try it without the extension cable attached.

Just a thought, is there some sort of box I can get where you can connect a usb device to (in my case, an external HDD) then connect the box to the TV and it’s the box that actually plays the media files, the TV just simply displays them?

What codec are the files compressed with?? My Panasonic refuses to play anything in DivX or Xvid (old tech these days) but will play pretty much anything else fine.

What codec are the files compressed with?? My Panasonic refuses to play anything in DivX or Xvid (old tech these days) but will play pretty much anything else fine.
All I know is that the video files are in .AVI format

If you use a program like VLC or Media info it will tell you all about the file contents as well as the container type

1595928831092.png

1595928895882.png

Yes, you just need a cheapish media player, something like this (other makes/models available)

Amazon product ASIN B00TOAAHG4

Says it’s from an address in Hong Kong, should I be wary about stuff that comes from Hong Kong?
Meaning, is it cheap, imitation stuff that is likey to fail?

Just a thought, is there some sort of box I can get where you can connect a usb device to (in my case, an external HDD) then connect the box to the TV and it’s the box that actually plays the media files, the TV just simply displays them?
Nvidia Shield TV The Daddy since 2015 and still going strong

new chromecast?
Not too keen on the chromecast, just needed some advice on the two that I’ve just given the links to,
Thanks

I am just basically after something to connect my external HDD to so that I can play my video files as the TV won’t play them,
Basically,
A media player where I can just connect my HDD to via USB, and the media player that connects to the TV either by USB or HDMI.

This is the HDD that I’m using

Not interested really in anything with streaming services.

Attachments

• A9DEAD11-1A47-4C34-A068-2742519FD234.jpeg
    A9DEAD11-1A47-4C34-A068-2742519FD234.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 47

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom