VIDEO: Hisense announce flagship MU9700 4K ULED TV for UK - video discussion

I guess with the other manufacturers turning their attention to OLED (other than Samsung) it's opening a gap.

It will be interesting to see what price range this comes in at - I read Hisense want to be in the Top 3 manufacturers in the USA in the next two years and with their aggressive pricing they're slowly getting there and upsetting the apple cart.

The low margins over there are keeping people like Panasonic out of that market.

I reckon it will debut at around £2200 ish, like the XT910, really depends on how many of the features are available at launch as well and what it can do.

I think HLG and HDMI 2.1 will be important for this year.

Would be good if Vizio came to Europe as they are very well priced considering the features in the USA.

I bought the 65M7000 as a stop gap until OLED got its act together and I'm very happy with it, my only complaint was back light uniformity and bleeding but a full array backlight should fix that.

Planning an upgrade again this year and it looks like there'll be a good selection to choose from.

I reckon it will debut at around £2200 ish, like the XT910, really depends on how many of the features are available at launch as well and what it can do.

Would be good if Vizio came to Europe as they are very well priced considering the features in the USA.

Vizio have just been taken over by a Chinese company so it will be interesting to see how they progress ...

In terms of specs this TV it looks pretty much like their high-end 2016 model (minus the curve) that was never released outside Asia - this particular model was shown at IFA in September and reputed to be be releasing shortly after that show, so a June 2017 release is a big fail from Hisense.

They failed to release a high-end TV in 2016 and it will be just shy of 2 years since they released the XT910 so they really need to start getting their products in the shops instead of just demoing them ...

Last edited:
If the price is around £2000 it looks like a bargain buy if the black levels are decent.

That price for a top end 70inch tv is staggeringly cheap. I think I will finally invest in a tv this year but 70inch is too big for me.

I agree about HLG but why do you think HDMI 2.1 will be important this year?

Vizio have just been taken over by a Chinese company so it will be interesting to see how they progress ...

In terms of specs this TV it looks pretty much like their high-end 2016 model (minus the curve) that was never released outside Asia - this particular model was shown at IFA in September and reputed to be be releasing shortly after that show, so a June 2017 release is a big fail from Hisense.

They failed to release a high-end TV in 2016 and it will be just shy of 2 years since they released the XT910 so they really need to start getting their products in the shops instead of just demoing them ...
This model will definitely be released in the UK and from what I saw on he show floor it looked like a really good performer.

I thought HDMI 2.1 was required for Dynamic HDR10? Which in theory should mitigate some of the blooming on HDR10 material on high nits tvs, plus if it can give an even better picture then its a good thing and its promote able.

I thought HDMI 2.1 was required for Dynamic HDR10? Which in theory should mitigate some of the blooming on HDR10 material on high nits tvs, plus if it can give an even better picture then its a good thing and its promote able.
It is but based the discussions I've had here at CES, HDR 10 with dynamic metadata is still a while off.

If the price is around £2000 it looks like a bargain buy if the black levels are decent.

That price for a top end 70inch tv is staggeringly cheap. I think I will finally invest in a tv this year but 70inch is too big for me.

I wouldn't get your hopes up of it being that cheap, Hisense give an estimated price of around €4000, which works out around £3400 although it will probably retail cheaper when launched.

I wouldn't get your hopes up of it being that cheap, Hisense give an estimated price of around €4000, which works out around £3400 although it will probably retail cheaper when launched.
The 65" currently can be had around £1050 so £3400 for a 70" seems a bit steep for a non-OLED

The 65" currently can be had around £1050 so £3400 for a 70" seems a bit steep for a non-OLED

Completely different model at that price. These are the higher end products from Hisense - series 8 & 9 with 1,000 Nits WCG HDR etc.

The 9 series will likely be £2,500+ if they only release it in 70" in the UK.

£3500 is crazy, people would just buy the top end 65" Samsung or Sony for that or a 65" OLED.

Hisense will have sold a lot of tvs last year but peeps will still go for the branded expensive tvs over a not so known brand, however good it might be, so they will carry on undercutting by a good 30% i reckon.

£2200, maybe £2500 but will quickly drop or have money off at AO. com

I think it's a while off, Samsung appear to be trying to get support for their approach in an attempt to compete with Dolby Vision but it doesn't even have an official name yet.

Awh come on, ULED? Why not ÜLED (as in über-LED) so it looks even more like OLED? :p

Kidding aside, good to see that at least some manufacturers are still trying to make LCDs better and more affordable! :)

I posted this on the other thread but may be better here.
What's the difference betwen "full array backlight with around 150 local dimming zones" and the "edge LED backlighting with local dimming". I note the lower model has the latter. Is that likely to have much impact on the picture? The 70" would be too big for me but may be tempted by the 65".

Because Any TV bought without HDMI 2.1 will be out of Date next year when everything that has HDMI connections will come with HDMI 2.1. No one really wants a TV with outdated connections within a year or purchase! Yes 2.0 is good enough for 4K now but only just, every year more bandwidth is needed and HDMI 2.1 will satisfy this going forward for a few more years. I would estimate that That Dolby Immerse 27.4 Real sound will need a secondary HDMI 2.1 just for Audio transmission!

A lack so Far of HDMI 2.1 is the reason I wont be replacing my ageing plasma this year, I suspect TV sales may well be down at the enthusiasts. I does mean a double whammy for most Enthusiasts as we will need a new receiver to go with the TV.

I have a feeling the end of 2017 may see some players pull out of TV's and 2018 being a bumper year for sales of TV and Receivers.

Consumer 8K TVs will be on sale next year, as it will be the 5th year of consumer 4K so TV manufacturers need to get something new out as picture quality will start to stall again.

No point buying a new TV in 2017, the OLEDs are practically the same, the Samsungs arent as good and both Sony and Panasonic have carried over the 2016 flagship to 2017.

Obviously theres always something new around the corner but zero incentive to buy new this year, especially when a 2016 LG55C6 can be picked up from £1500.

Obviously theres always something new around the corner but zero incentive to buy new this year, especially when a 2016 LG55C6 can be picked up from £1500.

Totally agree with you MikeTV

Or if you have a console pick up this the Samsung 65ks8000 £1699

HDMI 2.1 will be very important to console owners as it allows TV's to perform the equivalent of PC variable refresh rate technology aka Freesync/G-Sync which is all the rage on PC, Microsofts Xbox Scorpio is the first console to support it & they have said they are working with TV makers to bring VRR displays to market (either Freesync or HDMI VRR compatible, Xbox supports both).

So assuming Xbox Scorpio can deliver a similar experience to PC VRR then your leaving a big feature off the table by not having a HDMI 2.1 VRR enabled TV. I would not be buying any TV that doesn't have HDMI 2.1 VRR support if you have an interest in games.

Sony is likely to follow suit and PC users could also make use of VRR displays.

HDMI 2.1 will be very important to console owners as it allows TV's to perform the equivalent of PC variable refresh rate technology aka Freesync/G-Sync which is all the rage on PC, Microsofts Xbox Scorpio is the first console to support it & they have said they are working with TV makers to bring VRR displays to market (either Freesync or HDMI VRR compatible, Xbox supports both).

So assuming Xbox Scorpio can deliver a similar experience to PC VRR then your leaving a big feature off the table by not having a HDMI 2.1 VRR enabled TV. I would not be buying any TV that doesn't have HDMI 2.1 VRR support if you have an interest in games.

Sony is likely to follow suit and PC users could also make use of VRR displays.
Depends, it's possible that certain aspects of 2.1 like VRR could be delivered without actually using a full HDMI 2.1 connection. A fully spec'd HDMI 2.1 connection is needed for HFR (100/120p) and 8K but things like dynamic metadata, eARC and VRR could be possible via HDMI 2.0.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom