VIDEO: LG CX and GX OLED Picture Settings, Picture Quality and Panel Details - news discussion

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Some nice features coming this year.
Glad to see gaming is being taken seriously, with the new consoles launching around November, these tv’s within a few weeks of console launch (BF) are going to sell very well.

Neil comes across as very genuine and someone very happy in their job.

Informative interview!

Can someone answer a question please? I have a 65 inch C9 I am a big gamer and the 4k 120fps was a big factor. Does anyone know when and if LG are going to update the TV to be able to do this? Been bitten before by Samsung going back on features.

Can someone answer a question please? I have a 65 inch C9 I am a big gamer and the 4k 120fps was a big factor. Does anyone know when and if LG are going to update the TV to be able to do this? Been bitten before by Samsung going back on features.
It can do 120fps with hdmi 2.1, Where's the new cx can do 120fps with hdmi 2.0. It's no loss really as next cards will be hdmi 2.1 and gaming consoles. The c9 is good to go

I really enjoyed this interview (unlike the samsung one) and especially where he was asked about HDR10+ usage on LG tvs. I mean his answer kinda made sense, and he didn't try to dodge the actual question.

Fantastic and informative video Phil. :thumbsup:

And I also could not stop looking at his badge. Awesome! I want one two...:D

I really enjoyed this interview (unlike the samsung one) and especially where he was asked about HDR10+ usage on LG tvs. I mean his answer kinda made sense, and he didn't try to dodge the actual question.
It was surprising to see someone actually utter the words of the rival format and actually dig into some finer details about it too. Good interview and makes a change to see someone give some real answers. It's like other people when questioned scan their brain for a pre-determined non-answer that relates to said questions, anyone would think they were on trial for murder.

While any manufacturer will of course push their own tone-mapping, it still doesn't change the fact that both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ get a look-in and final pass by the content creators, so ideally it'd make sense to have both formats regardless. I'm guessing there must be a cost to adopting the format, it's either that, or LG much like Samsung don't want to be seen to giving in to the other. I suspect it's the latter.

If I've interpreted the information correctly, it sounds like the C9 basically already has Dolby Vision IQ if you turn on the AI brightness feature?

So, no mention of new panels or any real panel improvements in 2020 - sounds like mainly processing improvements this year. PQ will likely be almost indistinguishable from the C9 - I would have loved some peak brightness improvements... so no real incentive to upgrade from either a C8 or C9 I think...

It can do 120fps with hdmi 2.1, Where's the new cx can do 120fps with hdmi 2.0. It's no loss really as next cards will be hdmi 2.1 and gaming consoles. The c9 is good to go

Brill thanks for clearing it up. Only need to hope they will bring Free sync now.

So the new 2020 CX series is not hdmi 2.1?

i got a bit confused when I read this yesterday.

We don't have any news on the panels used for 2020, safe to assume its been recycled from the previous years.

I can't see how LG will continue with OLEDs when we see emergence of Mini Led sets from major manufactures like Sony and Samsung next year, interesting that both of them have not got a mini Led sets out this year, unlike the Chinese brands.

And when Micro LED sets come out within the next few years in smaller sizes, then not sure if there will be a space for OLEDs.

It was surprising to see someone actually utter the words of the rival format and actually dig into some finer details about it too. Good interview and makes a change to see someone give some real answers. It's like other people when questioned scan their brain for a pre-determined non-answer that relates to said questions, anyone would think they were on trial for murder.

While any manufacturer will of course push their own tone-mapping, it still doesn't change the fact that both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ get a look-in and final pass by the content creators, so ideally it'd make sense to have both formats regardless. I'm guessing there must be a cost to adopting the format, it's either that, or LG much like Samsung don't want to be seen to giving in to the other. I suspect it's the latter.
Yea i totally agree. And the answer was not just a generic marketing one.
It is strange in the case of Sony, LG and Samsung, that they only pick one of the two hdr formats (as in DV or HDR10+) while all other manufacturers (correct me if i'm wrong) are supporting both HDR formats. It looks more like a principle not to support the opposing teams format. Though it doesn't make sense as the likes of Panasonic, Philips, Hisense, Vizio, TCL are all supporting both and their users have a freedom of choice. While i agree with LG's stance on this to a certain degree it still is weird and a bit childish.
Though DV is by far more popular one and i think Samsung is losing more by just being stubborn. If their tv's had that DV badge they would increase their sales even more and would most likely dominate even more.

Was anything said about the 2020/ 2019 TVs being capable of RGB 4:4:4? The 2.1 bandwidth should allow for that?

For anyone with a C9 or 9 series read this and see what you make of it. I sent the question about 2.1 120hz 4k gaming before this interview. Cant believe this is correct!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200111-164025_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200111-164025_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 545
Would really like to know how it performs in 120hz with black frame insertion. Does the motion resolution compete with CRT? Will LG ever implement strobing in their OLEDs as this seems to really improve the motion resolution of sample and hold displays. Also, it would great if they would start making OLEDs as small as 32".

Is he not saying
C10 120hz at 4K over hdmi 2.1 & 2.0
C9 120hz at 4K over hdmi 2.1 but 60hz over hdmi 2.0

9-series will be able to do 4k 60hz on HDMI 2.0 and 4k 120hz on HDMI 2.1. I'm assuming it's 4:4:4 on both settings with HDMI Deep Colour and the input labelled to PC.

X-series will do 4k 120hz on HDMI 2.0 with 8bit 4:2:0 colour as well as 4k 120hz 4:4:4 with HDMI 2.1.

9-series will be able to do 4k 60hz on HDMI 2.0 and 4k 120hz on HDMI 2.1. I'm assuming it's 4:4:4 on both settings with HDMI Deep Colour and the input labelled to PC.

X-series will do 4k 120hz on HDMI 2.0 with 8bit 4:2:0 colour as well as 4k 120hz 4:4:4 with HDMI 2.1.

After sending a reply to the rep on the email I posted earlier this Is what i got back

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200112-090159_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200112-090159_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 476
After sending a reply to the rep on the email I posted earlier this Is what i got back
They are incorrect because the 9-series panel is fully capable of 120hz. They might be under selling the info because either they don't know or they haven't bee updated with the new info. I would take Neil Robinson's word over an LG helpdesk rep.

Neil certainly knows his stuff :thumbsup: very informative video.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom