VIDEO: Panasonic HZ2000 OLED Full Details and Specs - news discussion

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
HDMI 2.1 on all 4 ports confirmed with eARC and ALLM.

But what about VRR, which may be used in the PS5 and new XBox?

Did Panasonic confirm it's full fat HDMI 2.1 with all features enabled? If not can they be enabled later in a software update?

So the HZ2000 comes as a 55" and 65", but no 77"?

Can I take it, then, that there'll be the no 77" set in Panasonic's OLED line-up this year?

As @Amar1 notes, while Paul Williams makes reference to the HZ2000 coming with HDMI 2.1, the only 2.1 features I've seen reported from Panasonic out of CES are eArc and ALLM - no mention of variable refresh rate.

Have to say that I'm disappointed - particularly in terms of the screen size. Panasonic seem to be building their TVs for movie lovers, but if you want a truly immersive big screen movie experience in the home with perfect blacks you're going to have to look elsewhere - quite possibly to a competitor's TV which gives the impression of being first and foremost a gaming display.

Desk

Great interview Phil, glad to see it wasn’t just a sales pitch, plenty of questions we all ask answered.

I guess we will find out more (VRR etc) on hdmi2.1 features in February (hopefully they are full fat and not 2.0b with most 2.1features).

While some of us would still love a non Atmos
Upfiring version, it’s hard not to get excited about this tv, there are plenty (nearly all) of the user want boxes ticked.
This tv (and the lower tier models) sound like a calibrators dream from control perspective.

Did Panasonic confirm it's full fat HDMI 2.1 with all features enabled? If not can they be enabled later in a software update?

I’m still wondering about this on the GZ models!

Panasonic tells me yes, but their support cant be trusted...

Any word on whether Disney+ and AppleTV+ are supported?

Looks like DV Bright mods is being replaced with DV IQ. Is this true? If yes, this is not good news.

Can I take it, then, that there'll be the no 77" set in Panasonic's OLED line-up this year?

As @Amar1 notes, while Paul Williams makes reference to the HZ2000 coming with HDMI 2.1, the only 2.1 features I've seen reported from Panasonic out of CES are eArc and ALLM - no mention of variable refresh rate.

Have to say that I'm disappointed - particularly in terms of the screen size. Panasonic seem to be building their TVs for movie lovers, but if you want a truly immersive big screen movie experience in the home with perfect blacks you're going to have to look elsewhere - quite possibly to a competitor's TV which gives the impression of being first and foremost a gaming display.

Desk

Agree but a projector with 3D offers me a more immersive experience over 4K HDR

Sounds like this will be having to do a lot more processing. Will it have an upgraded main processor?

Be interesting to see how BFI has improved and whether it will offer a superior result than LG's which is supposed to be running at 120hz?

This is probably the year I'll be diving in to the world of 4k and upgrading from my VT65 plasma.

Great interview Phil, glad to see it wasn’t just a sales pitch, plenty of questions we all ask answered.

I guess we will find out more (VRR etc) on hdmi2.1 features in February (hopefully they are full fat and not 2.0b with most 2.1features).

While some of us would still love a non Atmos
Upfiring version, it’s hard not to get excited about this tv, there are plenty (nearly all) of the user want boxes ticked.
This tv (and the lower tier models) sound like a calibrators dream from control perspective.
Hopefully it's full HDMI 2.1 support. Stating it has HDMI 2.1 'connections' seems to suggest that is the case, but perhaps Phil can clarify this later.

If that really is the case then the HZ series will certainly tick a lot of boxes with the two big dynamic HDR formats covered, and finally that crucial HDMI 2.1 support with PC and next-gen PS5/XSX consoles set to take advantage later this year.

Desk
I think It is probably a supply issue at that size given there are not many outside LG Electronics adding 77” to their ranges. I would think that if it was possible economically to do the custom panel at 77” they would probably do that, in my opinion.

Hopefully it's full HDMI 2.1 support. Stating it has HDMI 2.1 'connections' seems to suggest that is the case, but perhaps Phil can clarify this later.

If that really is the case then the HZ series will certainly tick a lot of boxes with the two big dynamic HDR formats covered, and finally that crucial HDMI 2.1 support with PC and next-gen PS5/XSX consoles set to take advantage later this year.
My understanding is no VRR but ALLM and eARC. I am going to follow up on this to see if I can get more from Panasonic

My understanding is no VRR but ALLM and eARC. I am going to follow up on this to see if I can get more from Panasonic
It's also the 4K@120fps of HDMI 2.1 that is of interest. I'm not totally clued up on this, but I assume that requires the proper HDMI 2.1 ports to take advantage of those higher framerates. The significance of 120 is debatable at this point for consoles, as both Microsoft and Sony are boasting 8K and 4K@120fps - which still seems rather like a pipe dream in the here and now.

It'll be a shame though if full HDMI 2.1 support is absent thus giving LG this advantage for two years running. I know Panasonic is very much geared towards the film and OOTB accuracy crowd, but with LG refusing to take HDR10+ onboard there's a real opportunity here for Panasonic to tick all the major boxes. Full HDR suite, Full HDMI 2.1, OOTB Accuracy - combined with the icing on the cake with the custom OLED panel. And yes, as mentioned in your video, a model without the Atmos upfiring speakers (the HZ1500 perhaps) is something many of us hope to see.

In the meantime I'll remain content and jolly gawking at my Panasonic FZ802B. My favourite gaming feature of which is the ability to enable game mode on the more accurate picture modes, rather than being forced to use the dedicated Game picture mode.

Why arent people here talking about the new tone mapping "nits" target or hard clip option that panasonic allows you to make in the settings menu on the HZ2000?

While the grading suites want the hard clip option I’m assuming it’s not beneficial to otherwise all companies would simply follow the PQ curve (so they believe their implementation is better, although Samsung have been a little too off the mark).
Maybe I’m misinterpreting this, but even Tyler on the LG/Autocal video was saying it can be beneficial to start rolling off early to have a more film/grading suite look.
Loving the sound of the additional white balance controls, although I’d assume you will need a decent meter to read that level of darkness.

“Interview” reeks of attempt to damage control without really answering the question.
Hardly a scoop.

Hmm i'm sure it will happen at some point in time but still no bog standard stereo model. Many of us, as Phil stated, have our own (5.1, 7.1 and various Atmos layouts) surround systems. Either way I will keep my Panny 50" VT30 3D enabled display until it gives up the ghost and as the TV is around six to seven years old hopefully that will be for some time yet. Then apart from buying a new display (unless the situation changes in the future) I will also have to go projector and screen to retain 3D viewing. 🤨

By the way Phil are Denon or Marantz coming out with any replacements for their top tier AV amplifiers this year the X8500H and the SR8012?

Last edited:
According to www.panasonic.com/uk the 65 HZ2000 Tech Specs are still showing HDMI as:-

HDMI*13HDMI2 (side), 2 (rear)
HDMI (4K 60/50p with HDCP2.2)4
Support FeatureeARC(Audio Return Channel (Input 2))
HDMI2.1 Auto low Latency mode.

So....unless this is a Generic Specification Template not updated yet, it does create some confusion as to which HDMI 2.1 features the HZ2000 Supports.

It doesn't say 4k @120 on the tech specs (just 4k 60/50p) which leads me to believe it is not full fat HDMI 2.1 which is disappointing.

It doesn't say 4k @120 on the tech specs (just 4k 60/50p) which leads me to believe it is not full fat HDMI 2.1 which is disappointing.
That's the question that should've been asked. If it supports 4K @ 120Hz, then there's no doubt it's FULL HDMI 2.1.

yep. again, smoke and mirrors. at this point I wonder if it might be best to not use "HDMI 2.1" branding at all and instead force specs to be listed in terms of actual features. likewise for cables.

“Interview” reeks of attempt to damage control without really answering the question.
Hardly a scoop.
At these type of events they only want to talk about what features they have and not the features they haven't. Hence the talk of filmmaker mode, Dolby IQ etc. Cant really believe Phil Hinton managed to forget to ask the most important question to ask Panasonic . More than likely told him what they will talk about.

Could be the perfect TV if its full fat HDMI 2.1 not that many of these features matter to me but its always nice to be future proofed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom