VIDEO: Panasonic HZ2000 OLED Full Details and Specs - news discussion

I take it the crackle on the sound on the GZ got sorted..

It would be great as well if journalists could be more professional by asking precise questions. Just asking « is it hdmi 2.1? » during the interview wasn’t sufficient. That’s not the first time, same stuff last year with the GZ2000. In this case the right question to remove any ambiguity should have been « Does HZ2000 have full bandwidth hdmi 2.1 chipset? » and « Will it propose VRR? ». Is it so difficult to request details? Once more it’s a missed opportunity as AVForum won’t have a second interview, letting us in the full confusion about specs.

Looks like a lot talking about HDMI 2.1 what's so good about that only needed if you are into games.
Filmmaker mode sounds more interesting

Last edited:
It sounds like a dream tv, fantastic job Panasonic

I am pretty clear from the specs that it only supports eARC and ALLM among the 2.1 features, last year's supported ALLM, this year they add eARC. And these features dont need a 48gbps chipset in place. If you want a gaming oriented tv with hdmi 2.1, ger a lg CX/GX oled.

I am pretty clear from the specs that it only supports eARC and ALLM among the 2.1 features, last year's supported ALLM, this year they add eARC. And these features dont need a 48gbps chipset in place. If you want a gaming oriented tv with hdmi 2.1, ger a lg CX/GX oled.
Don't want LG. We want the best gaming experience on a Pana Oled as Pana is the best in all other aspects. And I don't see any incompatibility here. Pana is too "Hollywood" oriented (that's great but too restrictive) and doesn't listen to the market unfortunately. Pana Oled + gaming features would be a killer. What a missed opportunity especially with the coming of the Xbox Series X and PS5. Come on Pana, wake-up!

Some of you guys are having a laugh..
Phil is on his own, interviewing/filming/editing and getting it online for us without delay so it’s still news and you’re having a pop...
If Panasonic are being grey regarding 2.1 it’s hardly Phil’s fault.

Don't want LG. We want the best gaming experience on a Pana Oled as Pana is the best in all other aspects. And I don't see any incompatibility here. Pana is too "Hollywood" oriented (that's great but too restrictive) and doesn't listen to the market unfortunately. Pana Oled + gaming features would be a killer. What a missed opportunity especially with the coming of the Xbox Series X and PS5. Come on Pana, wake-up!
They are hollywood oriented, they also sell some of these oleds to hollywood to use as reference monitors in color grading studios. gaming is (and has historically been) a secondary consideration to panasonic ..whether you like it or not. To movie watchers, hdmi 2.1 doesnt matter (eARC is there). I'm more disappointed that they wont launch a custom panel without the fancy sound system at a lower price (those rumors turned out wrong).

They are hollywood oriented, they also sell some of these oleds to hollywood to use as reference monitors in color grading studios. gaming is (and has historically been) a secondary consideration to panasonic ..whether you like it or not. To movie watchers, hdmi 2.1 doesnt matter (eARC is there). I'm more disappointed that they wont launch a custom panel without the fancy sound system at a lower price (those rumors turned out wrong).
Therefore comes the logical questions: is Pana doing TVs such as the HZ2000 just for professionals or for end users? They have to chose really. If they don’t care about gamers, hdmi 2.1 and co, no problem, it’s their right, but if so they just have to clearly tell us their positioning once for all so that we don’t wait for stuff that won’t never come!

If you want the best buy new E10 as you get everything plus last years E9 beat the GZ2000 in the blind shootout although your splitting hairs in all of them and not let the Badge get in the way IMO but good luck whatever you do.

If you want the best buy new E10 as you get everything plus last years E9 beat the GZ2000 in the blind shootout although your splitting hairs in all of them and not let the Badge get in the way IMO but good luck whatever you do.
Well, best reference IMO is Vincent Teoh (HDTVTest) reviews and no doubt that best 2019 TV was from his point of view the GZ2000. He’s not the only one. That said it’s true that LG made great process in terms of image quality, but there’s still a gap vs Pana. For sure any purchase is a question of compromises. Let’s see what 2020 reviews will tell us but competition is stronger than ever and that’s possible LG will fill the gap in terms of IQ...or not. Time will tell. Regarding the hdmi 2.1, it was still OK not to have it in 2019, but this year such lack it’s a real disadvantage. So as a customer it’s critical to exactly know what to expect here when it’s about to buy a new TV, especially when it costs a lot. Reading « it does 2.1 » if it’s not the case is in a way a fake news, even if it’s definitely not intentional here for sure (don’t get me wrong). So to be credible a media news solid info to remain trustable. If Pana is playing with words around the 2.1 stuff that’s really bad for everyone (medias and customers). It would be preferable for them to say « no it’s 2.0b with some 2.1 features » instead of being blurry on that topic. Creating unnecessary frustration is always bad in terms of sales...

Last edited:
There is no E model from LG this year. This year the G is back (GX) BX,CX..;)

OK, so I have heard back from Panasonic UK. They have gone to Japan direct for the answer to the HDMI 2.1 question. The HDMI slots do not support VRR or 4K/120 but will have ALLM and eARC (on HDMI 2). There was no mention of 48Gbps bandwidth so I have asked again for clarification direct and that may take a few days to get the answer. But as things look on the information now confirmed by Panasonic via Japan, they are not full-bandwidth HDMI 2.1 on the HZ2000. I'll update again once I get further clarification.

Thanks for the follow-up on this! Well to be honest if HZ2000 would have been full 2.1 no doubt that Pana would have already communicated on it loudly...

I just don't understand that on such an expensive TV they leave 2.1 full fat hdmi out when lg can do it on a much cheaper set that is as good.

Complete non year for Panasonic tv this year

LG haven’t exactly gone wild either with the x. Silly naming convention

Now completely confirmed with Panasonic that the HDMI ports are not full-bandwidth 48Gbps HDMI 2.1
Cheers for the confirmation - although it is disappointing.

Not really feeling like there's any significant step forward this year across all the brands. The main news for all of them seems to be Filmmaker Mode and that light-sensor feature for Dolby Vision.

The only snippet that caught my attention across some articles is with regards to seeing some mentions of improvements to motion or BFI options. Again, this is something that gets talked about every year, but we'll have to wait for hands-on reviews to see if that's actually an improvement worth shouting about.

Seems a pretty 'meh' line-up. Not too keen on LG either. At a glance it seems the same as last year, the only interesting thing that stood out to me of the CX, over last year, is mention of the VRR range covering between 40-120.

It's not like I would be upgrading any time soon from my 2018 FZ802B regardless, but I had expected to see more advancments this year. Still, while the CX may look a little regurgitated from last year, I guess that's only really because LG practically hit the nail on the head with their previous 2019 line-up (with regards to full HDMI 2.1.support).

Yup. Expect a fantastic OLED TV that will be top class for movie watching and HDR with superb panel uniformity

Yup. Expect a fantastic OLED TV that will be top class for movie watching and HDR with superb panel uniformity

For movies yes but not neseceraly HDR as LG beat the Panasonic GZ2000 in this category in the blind shootout.

Sorry I see you put Top class and not top in class.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom