VIDEO: Philips demo Dolby Vision and P5 Picture Processing on their OLED TVs at Dolby HQ - news discussion

Going back to the Dolby Cinema for a minute, I became fascinated with the projectors there and did lots of digging around.

The technology is very clever indeed.

The colour gamut is as a result of their being six different laser sources. Two different frequencies each of red, green and blue. In the Dolby London installation, all the lasers are in a separate room next door to the projection room, and linked to the projectors with fibre-optic cables. There is a whole rack full of lasers, and they are turned on and off in various combinations depending on the light levels needed at that instantaneous moment in time.

The black levels are due to there being six DMD assemblies in the projector. Three 4K ones and three 2K ones. Each combined laser light source then passes across the two DMDs in series.

So this is, effectively, a freakish kind of full array dimming with 2 million dimming zones per colour. Basically every four pixels has a dimming zone.

And, possibly, the most amazing thing is that Christie are willing to sell a version of this solution for home cinema use. Millionaires only need apply though as it's going to be mid six-figures!

This would make for a great AVForums article. Wonder if someone can get Christie on side?

Great video Phil, very insightful and I'm very envious of all those who got to attend. What a great experience.

Paul

Anyone care to comment on how Philips OLED TVs with their P5 processor compare to LG C9, Panasonic GZ2000 and Sony A9G OLED TVs as the latter three brands tend to win all of the accolades for OLED TVs?

Thanks.

Anyone care to comment on how Philips OLED TVs with their P5 processor compare to LG C9, Panasonic GZ2000 and Sony A9G OLED TVs as the latter three brands tend to win all of the accolades for OLED TVs?

Thanks.
As an avowed LED user I like what Philips did with HDR in their previous generation. It will be interesting to see if they can improve on that. Also their SDR precessing was second to none.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom