VIDEO: Samsung Micro LED, why 8K QLED and why no Dolby Vision? - news discussion

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
So when asked about Dolby Vision Craig gave the same answer as to why it was missing as he gave 2 years ago when he worked for Panasonic, maybe Craig does not like Dolby. if the Samsung sets are plenty bright enough why do they include the open source HDR10+ that attempts to do what DV does? shame the interviewer did not ask him about Samsung Tv's not tracking eotf correctly but rather tracking bright even in the movie mode. AFAIK the interviewer knows of the tacking error 'cos he found it in a review of a Samsing tv made by him on this very site.

Must be said every time I see "The Wall" it makes my neither regions tingle...

Typically evasive in places (but then again it's his job) but 75" MLED at £5k the dream.

G

Really would have liked to see Dolby Vision support this year from Samsung but i guess there focus is still on pushing HDR+.

Can't see me buying a Samsung product this year because of this, oh well another year without a Samsung product.:thumbsdow

I was also hoping that they would announce Dolby vision support this year. I am in the market for a large TV so it looks like its going to be Oled for me.

Not getting this fascination with Dolby Vision tbh?? Why exactly is it must-have??

Bigger concern is the claims that the new 8K models are going to do native HD and 4K content better that the competition. I would imagine that is very far from the truth but nice to see Phil ask the difficult questions instead of simply lapping up the 8K marketing.

Sadly the best features and processing looks like they are already going to be reserved for 8K which is a very bold move from Samsung and could alienate them quite badly because it's much too early to be going down that route imho.

the wall concept bothers me. If this is supposedly expandable then for consumers at least you might buy a couple of modules and want to expand in the future. Good luck getting panels from different years to match performance wise, unless say you hamstring the newer panels that have better blacks, colour and peak luminescence.

shame the interviewer did not ask him about Samsung Tv's not tracking eotf correctly but rather tracking bright even in the movie mode. AFAIK the interviewer knows of the tacking error 'cos he found it in a review of a Samsing tv made by him on this very site.

Please educate me. Im not a fan of Samsungs over bright TV's but what does eotf mean?

Post #541...

Please educate me. Im not a fan of Samsungs over bright TV's but what does eotf mean?
Electro-Optical Transfer Function, I think.

Thanks @Phil Hinton for putting forward the question about Dolby Vision.
So I watched the video and listened to the reply from the Samsung spokesperson.

Here is my simple and I think unbiased response to Samsung, I live in the UK, and here the top tier Netflix subscription is £11.99 a month, that is the HDR stream option...

So here is my issue with Samsung, OR, for that matter ANY manufacture that thinks Dolby Vision is "Optional".... why would I pay Netflix £11.99 only to have my TV or Set-top box not process Dolby Vision????? Netflix doesn't support HDR10+, so I'm just wasting money with a Samsung TV!

Think about this issue from an AV Receiver angle, as an movie fan, would I really buy a AV Receiver without all the HD Dolby or HD DTS formats... of cause not!

Samsung, THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY PRODUCT!!!!!!!! IT'S YOUR TOP AV LINE, WAKE UP!

Samsung, these are Premium TV's, and Premium AV Equipment offers full video and audio codec support...

Netflix will still play in hdr on any Samsung.

Don't need DV if we have
Netflix will still play in hdr on any Samsung.

and if the content is mastered under 1000 nits and if the TV can do higher nits and is capable of tone mapping it correctly then HDR10 base layer would be fine.

Thanks for the video Phil, though I’m not sure why I bother watching interviews with Craig Cunningham. I don’t think he’s EVER actually answered a question. It’s the same every year, the guys at AV Forums ask him straight, easy to understand questions and he just spits out word soup completely side stepping them.

Also, how petty is it that he won’t even mention Dolby by name?!

From what I’ve seen so far this looks like it could be Samsung’s year, they’ve got some really interesting, and innovative products in their lineup. I had better start saving now!

Don't need DV if we have

and if the content is mastered under 1000 nits and if the TV can do higher nits and is capable of tone mapping it correctly then HDR10 base layer would be fine.
Agreed... so when will Netflix give us a lower priced HDR10 subscription?
My argument is NOT about Dolby Vision Vs HDR 10, my argument is is about paying a premium for HDR Dolby Vision on a set that doesn't process it!

"Also, how petty is it that he won’t even mention Dolby by name?!"

Yes I noticed that as well - odd

Thanks for the video Phil, though I’m not sure why I bother watching interviews with Craig Cunningham. I don’t think he’s EVER actually answered a question. It’s the same every year, the guys at AV Forums ask him straight, easy to understand questions and he just spits out word soup completely side stepping them.

Well the interviewer could try pressing him for a answer - think of the David Frost Emil Savundra interview

TV sets are nothing like the stuff Mr Savundra was up to but look how Mr Frost keeps the pressure up does not just let him sound off. Thats is how to do a TV interview

Well the interviewer could try pressing him for a answer - think of the David Frost Emil Savundra interview

TV sets are nothing like the stuff Mr Savundra was up to but look how Mr Frost keeps the pressure up does not just let him sound off. Thats is how to do a TV interview

Phil has explained his approach in a post many months ago, and when everything is taken into account it makes sense.

I'm not quoting Phil, so if I get it wrong apologies, but it's something like this... CES is a time to hear the manufactures message in their own words and their own viewpoint on a matter...

Phil gives them the space to do that... however, those words, claims, and predictions are recorded and remembered when it comes to a review...

Phil has explained his approach in a post many months ago, and when everything is taken into account it makes sense.

I'm not quoting Phil, so if I get it wrong apologies, but it's something like this... CES is a time to hear the manufactures message in their own words and their own viewpoint on a matter...

Phil gives them the space to do that... however, those words, claims, and predictions are recorded and remembered when it comes to a review...

Yes, broadly that - think it was on a podcast.

It’s my understanding that dynamic tone mapping, whether Dolby Vision or HDR10+ actually offers the most improvement to low or mid range TVs by maximising a limited dynamic range and brightness of the panel. Presumably because of the Dolby licensing fees however, it has remained a feature mostly available only in the higher-end TVs that actually need it least. So maybe it really is no big deal if the top end Samsung TVs don’t have it? Atmos is pretty impressive though when done right - that is a big omission from a flagship set.

Samsung have done all they can this year to trick consumers into buying their TVs whilst trying to minimise costs into investment in LCD based consumer technology.

No mini-led attention. They're concentrating on pushing their micro-LED for 5-10 years time. They've started investing in their OLED factories.

Dodging the costs of Dolby Vision liscencing. Its clear they've lost the HDR10+ war. Also no mention of Gsync which is weird because their gaming monitors have it and LG's OLEDs already have listed support for it.

They're using the buzz word of 8k to get the casuals in.

The only reason I see to go Sammy is IF they offer big screens at a much cheaper price than the OLEDs. I doubt it.

Samsung have done all they can this year to trick consumers into buying their TVs whilst trying to minimise costs into investment in LCD based consumer technology.

No mini-led attention. They're concentrating on pushing their micro-LED for 5-10 years time. They've started investing in their OLED factories.

Dodging the costs of Dolby Vision liscencing. Its clear they've lost the HDR10+ war. Also no mention of Gsync which is weird because their gaming monitors have it and LG's OLEDs already have listed support for it.

They're using the buzz word of 8k to get the casuals in.

The only reason I see to go Sammy is IF they offer big screens at a much cheaper price than the OLEDs. I doubt it.

You do know micro led is better than mini led, right? And their 75” screens are already much cheaper than the oled equivalents.

But don’t let logic come into your argument.

Hi
You do know micro led is better than mini led, right? And their 75” screens are already much cheaper than the oled equivalents.

Microled is too expensive and too far away from being priced at consumer friendly levels.
Mini led isn’t as evidenced by cheaper brands.

MicroLED is genuinely interesting, but I imagine the price will be unrealistic for a good few years. The idea of eventually covering my wall with TVs is pretty amazing, but I'll have to see (or not see) these invisible bezels for myself first.

As for Dolby Vision, the battle is over, Dolby won. It's everywhere (except on the BBC). For Samsung to keep clinging onto the HD-DVD of HDR formats is just embarrassing. Move on. You lost. And it will cost them sales.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom