Virgin Media Retentions Discussion- Part 3

Received the new hub 3 and v6 box (new account in wifes name) yeresterday in the account and all is working fine.
Service was switched off on my account on Saturday and new service switched on Monday. Well worth doing and saving myself £59 a month! I shall be doing exactly the same in 18 months time with reverting back to my email address as a new customer.
Also received an email to my account from VM to send old boxes back in the next few weeks.
Did you keep you landline number as they have told me I would have to change
it and can't resign in the same household until the next day after service ends?
How long have you been out of contract before cancelling?
Me too, no calls, been out of contract with them since April and a customer for 15 years. They insist when I called them that you cannot sign up whilst there is a service at the same household so I don't know how people are doing it. I have tried everything I can.

Did you keep you landline number as they have told me I would have to change
it and can't resign in the same household until the next day after service ends?

Me too, no calls, been out of contract with them since April and a customer for 15 years. They insist when I called them that you cannot sign up whilst there is a service at the same household so I don't know how people are doing it. I have tried everything I can.
My landline number has changed to a new one as my new contract is a new one under a new name.

I cancelled my old contract on 26th Aug (giving 30 days notice) and I went on the website on the 9th Sept and was able to sign up as a new customer as the same address but with a different email address.

Hi,
I've been following this thread with interest - been out of contract for 6 (or maybe even 12) months.
Got my latest bill today to find that they have moved me to a new package - no instruction from me, no notice from them.
I have been paying £66.50 for 100MB and fairly basic TV (previously less), now over £90 a month for an unwanted 'upgrade' including to the phone that I have used only 3 times in 2 years (and two of those calls were to virgin!).
Of course, I tried calling but can't get through.
I can't find any other contact details other than the on-line complaint form - any suggestions?

Cheers,
Julian

Hi,
I've been following this thread with interest - been out of contract for 6 (or maybe even 12) months.
Got my latest bill today to find that they have moved me to a new package - no instruction from me, no notice from them.
I have been paying £66.50 for 100MB and fairly basic TV (previously less), now over £90 a month for an unwanted 'upgrade' including to the phone that I have used only 3 times in 2 years (and two of those calls were to virgin!).
I can't find any other contact details other than the on-line complaint form - any suggestions?

Cheers,
Julian
phone 150 from your landline. Press the options to
say you are leaving and see who you get. Sometimes India (not necessarily always a bad thing) sometimes UK. Before you call - Check the best Virgin new customer options that fit for you first (access via private browsing or VPN if at home). Check Sky comparables for new customers. Be polite and ask for a decent offer to stay, times
are hard in lockdown etc.

How long have you been out of contract before cancelling?
basically my services will be cancelled next week.....I gave my 30 days notice on the 8th of September.
Last year they called me the day after I cancelled to offer me a better deal. This time they haven't however...

Hi,

Cheers,
Julian
They did this to me too, cheeky beggars. When I queried who made the order to change my contract, they blamed a mysterious system error.

Very surprised you can't get through to retentions, they are the one team that is well staffed and has taken my call within a few minutes every time.

New deals are significantly better and/or cheaper than the one you were on previously. For example, the full Sports, Movies, Family TV package, with 500Meg broadband and with an unlimited mobile 4G SIM is only £79 a month.

Today I have received my new router and TiVo box. All set up and ready to go. We don't have an indoor connection box, as the system was installed some 15 years ago and the fibre BB cable comes straight up from the under the downstairs floor. So not sure what to do with the isolator cable. This was a self install.
All looks good with the new contract in hubby's name at £29.99 for 100mbps BB, TiVo basic TV and weekend calls. Kept my old number

Had been with cable since Blueyonder days but cancelled two years ago and went to BT for a year. Returned last year, getting Ultimate Oomph for £99/mth + £35 installation with £250 cashback, £150 off and year's Amazon Prime (£62/month equivalent). Renewal was £129 so cancelled and got call from Retentions 48hrs later and haggled it down to £82/mth for 18 months. Said undecided and he said he'd call back over the weekend.

Incidentally, if you want to cancel but keep your landline no. you can always transfer it to a VOIP service like Vonage or Sipgate.

Guys, thanks for these useful discussions. I cancelled my Virgin service (Bigger bundle plus movies, BB and landline) last week and am hoping for a good deal from retentions. I’m hoping to stay with Virgin but not too bothered if I leave. The Virgin guy on the phone said to get the best deal I should leave and get my wife to re-sign.

Thanks for the suggestion to use VOIP to keep the landline number, this is a technology/service that had completely passed me by.

Virgin Media just offered me the 350 mb BB, Highest package phone and TV which includes Sports and Movies for £80. Not sure if I should take it since some people are getting the ultimate package for £89.

If you don’t need or want a sim that’s not bad. The faster broadband of Oomph doesn’t really matter for most people. I wanted a sim though.

My offer was 500 MB, basic tv and phone for £76
the lady advised me not to repackage now but ring back at the end of the month, for reasons I didn’t really get!

My offer was 500 MB, basic tv and phone for £76
the lady advised me not to repackage now but ring back at the end of the month, for reasons I didn’t really get!
What
Why so expensive
No Sky Sports /Movies and extra box?

If you don’t need or want a sim that’s not bad. The faster broadband of Oomph doesn’t really matter for most people. I wanted a sim though.
I don't want the sim so I might just take it
Even though its expensive, if I were to go to Sky and get TV with BT Sport and Movies - I think it will work out more expensive than £80 and BT's/Sky's broadband isn't great in my area of London.

Virgin Media just offered me the 350 mb BB, Highest package phone and TV which includes Sports and Movies for £80. Not sure if I should take it since some people are getting the ultimate package for £89.
How close to your disconnection date did they finally call you back? Gave notice three weeks ago and not heard anything back. Week and a half is the longest they've taken before now.

How close to your disconnection date did they finally call you back? Gave notice three weeks ago and not heard anything back. Week and a half is the longest they've taken before now.
Retentions never called me back which is very surprising.

I actually called them myself yesterday and then the lady offered me that price. This is the first time they have never called me when I cancelled.

I cancelled on the 8th of September so my services were due to be disconnected from tomorrow until I was offered this. I actually would have went through with the cancellation but the other providers in my area of London are bad and unreliable for BB. I was relying on a call back when I should have just taken out the services again in someone else's name and I would have gotten the new customer offers.

Don't rely on a call back because they might not call you, I am not sure if they are picking and choosing who to call back this time round as normally they always call like a day after you cancel. Perhaps take out the services again on a different name if you are not getting a good offer.

advised me not to repackage now but ring back at the end of the month, for reasons I didn’t really get!
Because the longer you leave it the more you pay at the higher rate after contract expiry, because you have to give 30 days notice. It won't benefit you, only them.

They used the exact same tactic for me, but said 'wait until the first week of October in case better deals come available'... Nonsense, it was purely to try to get me to postpone cancelling and they can classify you as a 'retention' in their daily stats.

£79 for a package with only basic TV is a very poor offer. New customers are getting Oomph Ultimate for £79pm and a £150 bill rebate.

Last edited:
Because the longer you leave it the more you pay at the higher rate after contract expiry, because you have to give 30 days notice. It won't benefit you, only them.

They used the exact same tactic for me, but said 'wait until the first week of October in case better deals come available'... Nonsense, it was purely to try to get me to postpone cancelling and they can classify you as a 'retention' in their daily stats.

£79 for a package with only basic TV is a very poor offer. New customers are getting Oomph Ultimate for £79pm and a £150 bill rebate.
I hate when companies do things like that
Isn't the ultimate package £89?

Looks like it is now back to £89 pm.

Last week it was £79 for 18 months plus a £150 rebate.
that's an amazing deal
I should have cancelled and set up with a new name but wasn't sure how it would work if I want to keep the same landline number plus I left it too late.
Ahh well lol

I don’t really watch the TV so not that interested in extra channels, it’s just the BB I’m after.
thanks for comments, all noted. the lady I spoke to was a little hard to follow - her offer was after I told her that a £100 package was ludicrous!
I’ll try again in a week or two.

Retentions never called me back which is very surprising.

I actually called them myself yesterday and then the lady offered me that price. This is the first time they have never called me when I cancelled.

I cancelled on the 8th of September so my services were due to be disconnected from tomorrow until I was offered this. I actually would have went through with the cancellation but the other providers in my area of London are bad and unreliable for BB. I was relying on a call back when I should have just taken out the services again in someone else's name and I would have gotten the new customer offers.

Don't rely on a call back because they might not call you, I am not sure if they are picking and choosing who to call back this time round as normally they always call like a day after you cancel. Perhaps take out the services again on a different name if you are not getting a good offer.
I would have considered signing up under a different name but their new customer offers are really poor right now. A week or so ago it was M200, Maxit TV, Sky Sports with HD and Talk Weekends for £65 (which is what I currently have for pennies over £65). Now they've downgraded it to M100 and Sky Sports without HD but hiked the price to £72.
Inbound offered me the same package I was already on for £78 which suddenly doesn't sound too bad compared to the new customer £72 package. Hey ho. After 13 years looks like its time to try much slower internet for 18 months and see how I survive. So long Virgin, you were good when you worked, awful when you didn't.

I would have considered signing up under a different name but their new customer offers are really poor right now. A week or so ago it was M200, Maxit TV, Sky Sports with HD and Talk Weekends for £65 (which is what I currently have for pennies over £65). Now they've downgraded it to M100 and Sky Sports without HD but hiked the price to £72.
Inbound offered me the same package I was already on for £78 which suddenly doesn't sound too bad compared to the new customer £72 package. Hey ho. After 13 years looks like its time to try much slower internet for 18 months and see how I survive. So long Virgin, you were good when you worked, awful when you didn't.
It's weird how loyal customers do not get rewarded/ I understand they are a business and they are not a charity but it seems the longer you are with them, they less offers you get!
The prices are so expensive these days - for the £65 you currently pay do you get Sky Movies?
I am looking at the website now and it seems the ultimate bundle for £89 is where you get all the sports and movies? I think the package down - the bigger bundle does not include Sky Sports?

It's weird how loyal customers do not get rewarded/ I understand they are a business and they are not a charity but it seems the longer you are with them, they less offers you get!
The prices are so expensive these days - for the £65 you currently pay do you get Sky Movies?
I am looking at the website now and it seems the ultimate bundle for £89 is where you get all the sports and movies? I think the package down - the bigger bundle does not include Sky Sports?
Nope, no Sky Movies for me. Bigger Bundle + Sports is the one they've downgraded but jacked the price of. They seem to quite regularly swap between M100 and M200 on that tier of bundle.

Nope, no Sky Movies for me. Bigger Bundle + Sports is the one they've downgraded but jacked the price of. They seem to quite regularly swap between M100 and M200 on that tier of bundle.
so how much is that package?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom