Virgin Media Retentions Discussion- Part 3

gazgb

Standard Member
Reaction score
just had a terrible week with vm.i wanted the 30mb broadband upgrade after they advertised it as been cheaper thn the 20mb i was on.
first phone call i was told it would be £5 a month more because i was on a discounted tarriff.now this makes me mad when they say ive got a discount of £28.50 and £1.75.im paying £4 less than a new costomer would pay end of.they finally agreed to do it for £1 a month more,next day i recieve an e mail offering it to me for no additional monthly fee.but still tell me on the phone i cant have it because of the discounted tariff.
ive recieved the new super hub and fitted it which led to another 3 phone calls today as it wouldnt let me access the internet.
anyway now sorted the package ive got is..

broadband xl 30mb
phone xl
tv xl with v+hd box
extra v+hd box
£60

Im currently paying £22 for 10MB BB only. I'd like to upgrade it to 30MB.

Whats the best deal I get and how do I go about getting it?

Im currently paying £22 for 10MB BB only. I'd like to upgrade it to 30MB.

Whats the best deal I get and how do I go about getting it?

There's currently no deal publicly on offer from VM in relation to upgrading from 10Mb to 20Mb. As to whether VM will give you a discount if you give them a call is another matter. I'm afraid you'd have to contact VM and ask to get an answer to your question.

The only BB package offers currently available relate to the 20Mb to 30Mb upgrade and free installation and activation of the 50Mb and 100Mb speeds:
Upgrade To Faster Broadband Package - Virgin Media Shop

I take it that you don't have a VM telephone line? If this is the case then you are paying £1 more for your current 10Mb service than it is advertised for.

Last edited:
10mb on its own you can get for £20.25 if paying by direct debit and using eBilling.

as for the 20-30mb upgrade you can now get this upgrade for the same cost. even if your on a retentions deal

I got a letter from Virgin last week offering me 'as a valued customer' the option to have 30mb before others. And the new wireless hub. All at no extra cost. 'Just phone this number'

So I phoned the number, and after many selections got to talk to someone. They offered the 20-30mb for an extra £8 per month (I'm currently on triple XL plus extra V+ at £59). When I replied that last month it was £8 for 50mb, he then offered me 50mb for £9.

He explained that it was the wireless hub that was no exta cost, not the BB uplift.

I don't mind them asking for money, but I'm incensed at misleading advertising, and that's what makes me feel like going. Now I'm doing the calculation to move to BT infinity for BB(they promise a measured 28mb on their 40mb service for £28 per month). I would have just kept paying the monthly fee through inertia to VM, but am now fed up.

ME

I got a letter from Virgin last week offering me 'as a valued customer' the option to have 30mb before others. And the new wireless hub. All at no extra cost. 'Just phone this number'

So I phoned the number, and after many selections got to talk to someone. They offered the 20-30mb for an extra £8 per month (I'm currently on triple XL plus extra V+ at £59). When I replied that last month it was £8 for 50mb, he then offered me 50mb for £9.

He explained that it was the wireless hub that was no exta cost, not the BB uplift.

I don't mind them asking for money, but I'm incensed at misleading advertising, and that's what makes me feel like going. Now I'm doing the calculation to move to BT infinity for BB(they promise a measured 28mb on their 40mb service for £28 per month). I would have just kept paying the monthly fee through inertia to VM, but am now fed up.

ME

I am on a similar package to you. Just called customer services and asked how much to increase my BB speed. £10 pm extra to got from 10mb to 20mb or £ 14 a month to go to 50mb. No thanks ! I hate the inconsistancy. Every time I try to add to my services they quote me a huge figure and say I have a lot of discounts. New customers only get a maximum discount of £ 9 he says !

ME

If this is the case the agents need to pass the details to their team manager to get the deal applied. It can be done as ofcom have been in touch about the advertising. Call back ;)

°Keir°;14037376 said:
If this is the case the agents need to pass the details to their team manager to get the deal applied. It can be done as ofcom have been in touch about the advertising. Call back ;)

How did you manage this on the phone? I got the same letter a few days back, and after 3 times on hold to different people, the position then was, they will honour it, but you have to post the letter to head office (I have obviously sent a copy keeping the original)

It won't get change straight away but they would take all the details on the call.

How did you manage this on the phone? I got the same letter a few days back, and after 3 times on hold to different people, the position then was, they will honour it, but you have to post the letter to head office (I have obviously sent a copy keeping the original)

Hi all,
Many thanks to Keir. Armed with your knowledge, I called back. The Scottish operator offered me the speed increase & hub free, with just £30 activation fee. If I hadn't come here, I might have paid that. I said that my friends had been given it free, and I wanted that too, and she said she had never heard of it. When I asked for a manager, she said that they would say the same.

Then I played the cancellation card. We've just had BT Infinity in our street, so I asked for pricing if I dropped BB & phone and went to TVXL only. At that point I was routed through to cancellations. (If anyone is interested BT infinity (up to 40mb) is £31 per month, including w/e calls)

Cancellations acknowledged that they had made a mistake in the letters, and they would do the speed, hub and activation all free.

Brilliant result, and the hub is scheduled to arrive via courier next week.

ME

Just got of the phone from Virgin as i wanted to add a additional v+ box.

Current package.

2 x V+ box
Large Broadband
Phoneline with free weekends
TV XL

Currently pay £40.67 per month. They have added an extra V+ box (3 in total) free of charge with no installation cost or contract.

Total is now £45.67 with no contract. :)

Current package.

2 x V+ box
Large Broadband
TV XL

Currently pay £40.67 per month. They have added an extra V+ box (3 in total) free of charge with no installation cost or contract.

I am ready to be roasted but i simply don't believe this claim.

To get another V+ with no installation or activation charges would be disbelievable enough but to claim a bundle cost which has an additional discount of more than £18 over the standard bundle is just totally unbelievable.

I will, of course, retract this statement when you detail your new bill here for all to see.

Standard bundle pricing for BB L, TV XL and Phone M is £50.99 after the April increase and two additional V+s will be £13 at that time, making £63.99 in April.

I am ready to be roasted but i simply don't believe this claim.

To get another V+ with no installation or activation charges would be disbelievable enough but to claim a bundle cost which has an additional discount of more than £18 over the standard bundle is just totally unbelievable.

I will, of course, retract this statement when you detail your new bill here for all to see.

Standard bundle pricing for BB L, TV XL and Phone M is £50.99 after the April increase and two additional V+s will be £13 at that time, making £63.99 in April.

I can believe it, i phoned and cancelled our package last week as they couldnt offer me the sort of deal i wanted. We had a phone call last night asking why we wanted to leave, my OH explained what we wanted and he said i can do that for you so weve gone from

XL TV
L BB
XL Phone
V+ Box
Additional box upstairs

We were paying around £65 i believe Accounts in OH name so cant get access to details)

He gave us:

XL TV
XL BB with no install charge for Super hub
XL Phone
V+ Box Downstairs
V+ Box Upstairs with no install charge for additional V+ Box

and he managed to knock the price down to £51

I only wanted the BB upgrade and to change my old SD box to a newer HD one but ended up with another free V+ box :thumbsup: There sending an engineer out friday to sort it all out

Take it from me, when it comes to the bottom line then everyone pays the same. ;)

Utter drivel. No they don't.

Just speak to retentions (which, of course ,doesn't exist either according to dante1) and you may well get a discount.

Current package.

2 x V+ box
Large Broadband
TV XL

I'd get this checked, when ever you take a V+ box it's a 12month contract. and additional V+ boxes are £99.95
I doubt anyone offered to give you nearly £100 of there own credit.

Utter drivel. No they don't.

Just speak to retentions (which, of course ,doesn't exist either according to dante1) and you may well get a discount.

You will get a better deal by dealing with retentions, I get a £22.50 loyalty discount off my services and I am currebtly not on a contract.

°Keir°;14044550 said:
I'd get this checked, when ever you take a V+ box it's a 12month contract. and additional V+ boxes are £99.95
I doubt anyone offered to give you nearly £100 of there own credit.

If you read my post above you'll notice thats exactly what ive got, my OH only asked to change the existing sd box upstairs to one of the newer standard hd boxes. He asked if we had V+ already to which she replied yes, he then said oh i'll give you a v+ box upstairs as well for NOTHING. Also the 30mb upgrade i notice a lot of people on 20mb are getting free but i was on 10mb and managed to get that for free :Dtoo. My mates not to impressed ive got 2 v+ boxes now either

Take it from me, when it comes to the bottom line then everyone pays the same. ;)

VM ain't gonna be calling you to beg that you subscribe and if you don't like their advertised prices then they wont reduce them, not unless you add more services and get bundle discounts which everyone gets ;)

I think you'll find thats not the case, ive been given EXACTLY the same package as gazgb for £51. So how is it everyone apparently pays the same?

just had a terrible week with vm.i wanted the 30mb broadband upgrade after they advertised it as been cheaper thn the 20mb i was on.
first phone call i was told it would be £5 a month more because i was on a discounted tarriff.now this makes me mad when they say ive got a discount of £28.50 and £1.75.im paying £4 less than a new costomer would pay end of.they finally agreed to do it for £1 a month more,next day i recieve an e mail offering it to me for no additional monthly fee.but still tell me on the phone i cant have it because of the discounted tariff.
ive recieved the new super hub and fitted it which led to another 3 phone calls today as it wouldnt let me access the internet.
anyway now sorted the package ive got is..

broadband xl 30mb
phone xl
tv xl with v+hd box
extra v+hd box
£60

This is what i managed to get for £51 this week, my OH said the guy was really helpful. We only want the SD box upstairs changed for one of the newer HD boxes and he just gave us another V+ Box. We have had a slight problem in that hes managed to turn our V+ services off :mad: but weve been assured it will all be back on when it gets fitted tommorow. From what i can gather the department the guy was calling from was called OUTS (not retentions) as when we phoned to get the V+ sorted thats where they had to call through to and get the guy who sorted the package phone us back.

Last edited:
If you read my post above you'll notice thats exactly what ive got, my OH only asked to change the existing sd box upstairs to one of the newer standard hd boxes. He asked if we had V+ already to which she replied yes, he then said oh i'll give you a v+ box upstairs as well for NOTHING. Also the 30mb upgrade i notice a lot of people on 20mb are getting free but i was on 10mb and managed to get that for free :Dtoo. My mates not to impressed ive got 2 v+ boxes now either

Have you quoted the wrong post?

I was quoting momi_24's post with the 3rd v+ box for free with 0 contract.

°Keir°;14050188 said:

No i was definatly quoting you, i havent checked if were tied into another 12 months contract but you can definatly get the V+ box for free if you get the right person. Like i said its my second V+ box as well which "technically" should be more expensive than the 1st one they put in.

phone virgin today today to see what they would give me my 12 months is up

currently got

Broadband 10mb
umlimited phone
xl tv v+hd
and standard box in another room was paying £44.15,

then they took away my discount after 12 months even though I was promised my discount would still countinue and not stop after 12 months so now paying £53.14, phone to see what deal they would give me if I included sky sports

they offer me same as I have at the moment but remove talk unlimited and add sky sports for £74.39

he said that is the best they could offer and he even works for them and wouldn't get a better deal than that

is it worth me cancelling and see if they phone me up and offer a better deal or go over to sky

cheers from Pete

°Keir°;14050188 said:

No i was definatly quoting you, i havent checked if were tied into another 12 months contract but you can definatly get the V+ box for free if you get the right person. Like i said its my second V+ box as well which "technically" should be more expensive than the 1st one they put in.

No, hunter, you misunderstand.

You are replacing a second box, [-]which wouldn't attract any fee to 'upgrade' to the same spec as your first box[/-]. edit:- sorry, this was incorrect.

However, the poster that Keir was quoting was supposedly getting a 3rd box for free (on top of their existing two), not a 3rd replacement.

Last edited:
they offer me same as I have at the moment but remove talk unlimited and add sky sports for £74.39

he said that is the best they could offer and he even works for them and wouldn't get a better deal than that
IIRC there's no discounted rates for sky sports or movies, and that's always the killer on the price.
Even employees have to pay full price for sky sports and movies.

No, hunter, you misunderstand.

You are replacing a second box, which wouldn't attract any fee to 'upgrade' to the same spec as your first box.

However, the poster that Keir was quoting was supposedly getting a 3rd box for free (on top of their existing two), not a 3rd replacement.

Really? I was told if i wanted to change my upstairs box to V+ as well it would cost £99.95 to activate the HD. Even changing the standard sd box to a newer normal HD box they said that would cost the same too. Im not really worried anyway, im more than happy with the new deal i wasnt expecting them to do anything.

Really? I was told if i wanted to change my upstairs box to V+ as well it would cost £99.95 to activate the HD. Even changing the standard sd box to a newer normal HD box they said that would cost the same too. Im not really worried anyway, im more than happy with the new deal i wasnt expecting them to do anything.

Actually you're right.....

HD activation of a second box is £49.95 or alternatively activation of a second V+HD is £99.95

So yes, my mistake.... my post was misleading :blush: (I had TiVo upgrades on my mind)

However, your situation is in connection with upgrading a second box, whereas the other person was supposed to have been offered/given an additional third box&install for nothing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom