Virgin Media Retentions Discussion- Part 3

My contract was due next month so called today to see what was offered or give my 30 days notice.

I'm on the Ultimate Oomph package and was offered the same again for £89 a month which is what new customers are getting (for 18 months). Was quite surprised they gave me that straight up and happy with the 18 months too so I don't have to faff about with this again until 2022!

My contract was due next month so called today to see what was offered or give my 30 days notice.

I'm on the Ultimate Oomph package and was offered the same again for £89 a month which is what new customers are getting (for 18 months). Was quite surprised they gave me that straight up and happy with the 18 months too so I don't have to faff about with this again until 2022!
That's good!

It really seems it depends on who you speak to.....on what kind of offer you get.

I've been offered renewal of the Ultimate Oomph for £84 but I'm really after a cheaper option. Nothing else they've offered is discounted, though, e.g. M200 BB + SIM for £52/month.

Just wondering, though, can anyone sign up to Virgin Business? I'm only after BB and they offer 350Mb for £32 + VAT on a 24 month contract (+£7 for a phone line with calls included). Not necessarily the cheapest but none of that end of contract hassle of renegotiating the price.

Anyone tried it?

To answer my own question, yes you can. I just switched to Virgin Business. They're quite happy for me to transfer from Virgin Residential and can handle the termination, etc. I've signed up for Voom Fibre 1 (350 Mbps download) for £32+vat/month, a 3GB 4G SIM with unlimited free UK calls & texts for £7+VAT/month. There's a £5 discount for taking both so total is £40.80/month on a 24 month contract with no automatic increase at the end. There's cashback on Topcashback but it's fairly modest for Fibre 1.

I've been offered renewal of the Ultimate Oomph for £84 but I'm really after a cheaper option. Nothing else they've offered is discounted, though, e.g. M200 BB + SIM for £52/month.

Just wondering, though, can anyone sign up to Virgin Business? I'm only after BB and they offer 350Mb for £32 + VAT on a 24 month contract (+£7 for a phone line with calls included). Not necessarily the cheapest but none of that end of contract hassle of renegotiating the price.

Anyone tried it?
That's a good deal. How did you get that price? Did they call you back....

No sooner have I signed up with Virgin Business than I get another call from Retentions. They've offered me the M200 + SIM for £42/month or Anytime phone + TV with BT Sport (£51) or + Sky Sports (£60).

Incidentally, the second Retentions call was prompted by my request to transfer my landline phone number from Virgin (which I'm moving to Sipgate).

Incidentally, the second Retentions call was prompted by my request to transfer my landline phone number from Virgin (which I'm moving to Sipgate).
I never got a call from retentions when I cancelled oddly enough
It seems some people get calls, some don't.....

No sooner have I signed up with Virgin Business than I get another call from Retentions. They've offered me the M200 + SIM for £42/month or Anytime phone + TV with BT Sport (£51) or + Sky Sports (£60).
Thats a really good deal.

So, three days before my services are due to be switched off I received a call not from retentions but from a salesman. Bascically offered new customer bundle prices which, as I said in a previous post, aren't very good at the moment.
I would either be paying more than I was previously for a downgraded package or if I stayed on the package I was on now it was the price inbound retentions offered me when I first phoned to cancel.
If they'd phoned a couple of weeks ago when the new customer bundles were still good I probably would have stayed.
So if you do phone to cancel and don't get a call back immediately there is still a chance they could get back to you close to your disconnection date, but be prepared to vote with your feet if they can't give you a deal you're happy with.

So, three days before my services are due to be switched off I received a call not from retentions but from a salesman. Bascically offered new customer bundle prices which, as I said in a previous post, aren't very good at the moment.
I would either be paying more than I was previously for a downgraded package or if I stayed on the package I was on now it was the price inbound retentions offered me when I first phoned to cancel.
If they'd phoned a couple of weeks ago when the new customer bundles were still good I probably would have stayed.
So if you do phone to cancel and don't get a call back immediately there is still a chance they could get back to you close to your disconnection date, but be prepared to vote with your feet if they can't give you a deal you're happy with.
For me the craziest thing about this is that only 2 weeks ago they were offering the Oomph bundle for £79pm/18mo AND a £150 rebate covering the first two bills. Happily I grabbed it as my wife is a new customer, and I gave my notice.

Why is a new customer more worthy in late Sept/early Oct than now!? New football season, perhaps? Maybe their analysis shows more existing Sky and BT subscriptions come to an end at this time?

For me the craziest thing about this is that only 2 weeks ago they were offering the Oomph bundle for £79pm/18mo AND a £150 rebate covering the first two bills. Happily I grabbed it as my wife is a new customer, and I gave my notice.

Why is a new customer more worthy in late Sept/early Oct than now!? New football season, perhaps? Maybe their analysis shows more existing Sky and BT subscriptions come to an end at this time?
I could understand their prices going up and down at various points but it's the prices going up AND the packages being downgraded that gets my goat. No doubt there will be better deals next month, too late to do me any good I imagine. Having said that I notice I've had a missed call on my landline from a number that checks out as actual outbound retentions. Phoned after the "salesman" called on my mobile from a mobile number. There may be another twist in my retentions tale.

That's an amazing deal
I got robbed off
I am paying £80 for the VIP deal but I am an existing customer. I am going to call tomorrow and speak to them, because I still have the 14 day cooling period. I hate the way Virgin operates.

My best deal was last year when I qualified as a new customer (having switched to BT for a year after over 20 years with Blueyonder/Virgin). £89/month for Ultimate Oomph with £250 cashback, £150 discount and a year's Amazon Prime (worth £79). Only 12 months, though.

Apologise if this has been asked before just given VM my 30 day notice today. Do I need to wait for the contract to end before I set wife up as new customer?

Apologise if this has been asked before just given VM my 30 day notice today. Do I need to wait for the contract to end before I set wife up as new customer?
No, they are separate processes. Your wife just needs to sign up as a new customer, and if you do the self-install option, get it delivered on the day (or a day before) your old contract ends.

Dunno if anyone saw 'Watchdog' on the 'One Show' last night, they mentioned this debacle and that by going to the retentions team is the only way.

Anyone tried it?
Until I saw this post I had no idea the virgin media business existed!

I'm currently on just 100mb broadband, 10mb download. Will be changing to £36 per month then rising to £44 per month at the end of my contract.

I can get essential business Internet which is 100/10, same as I have for only £28 + vat

Or the 350/7 for £32 + vat.

That's before I even pickup the phone to call retentions!

Nice one, thank you for sharing.

No, they are separate processes. Your wife just needs to sign up as a new customer, and if you do the self-install option, get it delivered on the day (or a day before) your old contract ends.

Wow, after 18 long years of being a Virginmedia (blueyonder etc. previously) customer I have just cancelled my contract with them. I always renegotiate every 12/18 months which is a real hassle however this time they refused to offer me anything decent. My current deal is:

TV - Maxit
Broadband - 100MPS
Phone - Weekends only
Price 47.50 a month (Going up to 61.00 per month shortly)

.......and they only offered to match this but with the price going up to 49.50 a month! I said no as my financial situation had changed and that if nothing could be done then I would have to consider cancelling my contract. They said fine (and here comes the interesting part) but if I was going to try and close my account and re-open it using my partners name then this would not be possible for at least 3/4 weeks after my account has been closed! If I try to sign up before the old account closes they will not permit it as a few people have been trying this on recently.

Has anyone else had this problem? Its a bummer after all of these years of loyalty but more shocking was how quickly they agreed to close my account, there was no arguing (I was very polite) and no sympathy or understanding regarding my work situation which has changed due to Covid-19.

Can anyone suggest another broadband provider, Sky's deal looks decent enough.

close my account and re-open it using my partners name then this would not be possible for at least 3/4 weeks after my account has been closed!
This is different to what we suggest. What I did is not closure and reopening, it's complete closure of my account, and a NEW account in wife's name.

Close your account entirely. The new application needs to be done by someone else (in practice, you can do it in their name, assuming you have their permission).

There won't be any gap in services as a result. My account was closed and services stopped at 23:59 of 28th Oct, and the wife's account equipment arrived at 1300 on the 29th and worked out of the box.

This is different to what we suggest. What I did is not closure and reopening, it's complete closure of my account, and a NEW account in wife's name.

Close your account entirely. The new application needs to be done by someone else (in practice, you can do it in their name, assuming you have their permission). There won't be any gap in services as a result. My account was closed and services stopped at 23:59 of 28th Oct, and the wife's account equipment arrived at 1300 on the 29th and worked out of the box.
Sorry, my poor choice or words, they are completely closing my account and want all of the equipment sent back to them which is fair enough. They then said that if I tried to open a NEW account using someone else's name "i.e. your partner" (their words) then this would not be possible for at least 3/4 weeks after my account has been closed.
Sorry for the confusion, I'm still disappointed with them TBH.

Sorry, my poor choice or words, they are completely closing my account and want all of the equipment sent back to them which is fair enough. They then said that if I tried to open a NEW account using someone else's name "i.e. your partner" (their words) then this would not be possible for at least 3/4 weeks after my account has been closed.
Sorry for the confusion, I'm still disappointed with them TBH.
Ah, ok.

If you've cancelled, my suggestion is to take the retentions team out of the conversation now. Apply as a new customer through the website or on webchat, using the new account holder details. See how far you get?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I was going to look at this today but the retentions team called me and offered me a great deal so I decided to stay with them.

They offered me the following:
TV - Bigger
Broadband - 200MPS
Phone - Weekends only
Price £44 a month

Its better than what I currently have and I got the price down a bit which was really want I wanted due to my financial situation.

Its frustrating that you have to do this at the end of every contract and I was seriously thinking about taking the Sky offer as it's not too bad for what I need. Anyway alls well that ends well and my faith in Virginmedia has been restored......... well for the next 18 months at least :thumbsup:

Currently on:
Full house (1x V6 box)
200mb broadband
Talk Weekends
£83 a month
I've been out of contract for far too long and since the black Friday unltimate oomph bundle (2x v6 boxes, 500mb, all channels inc sky sports and cinema) came up on the website for new customers for £77.99 a month for 18months came up, it remininded me to see what I could get.

After a call to the disconection team, the best they could off me was ultimate oopmh for £89 a month. I tried to push them to the new customer price (£77.99), but they couldn't move. I have proceeded to disconnect, I will shortly sign up in my partner's name for a new contract (as per suggestions in this thread). Obviously if retentions phone up and try and get me to stay with a offer near £77.99, then I will stay and don't need to faff with a switch of account etc.

If I go on the website, can I specify the day for the new account (in partners name) to start (i.e, the day after my current terminates)?

Such a pain they don't reward loyal customers, but if I need to go through the above to get more for less, then so be it!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom