Virgin V6 Box - What 4K Splitter?

PauloCot

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had an old Virgin Box (think it was the TiVo) and had an HDMI splitter that sent the image to two TVs simultaneously - worked fine.

Recently Virgin upgraded it to the V6 Box, which unknown to me, stopped the existing splitter working. When plugged in neither TV displayed an image. I believe this is because the splitter isn't HDCP 1.4 compatible.

I want to buy a new splitter but in the dark as to which one to buy. Was hoping some clever people on here may have some suggestions? Trying to avoid buying one that's 1) not compatible 2) is way overpriced 3) is just the wrong product! Would like it to be 4K/60hz compatible.

I have bought two 2.0b HDMI cables ready for it!

Thanks in advance!

A new splitter would need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant due to the V6 box's UHD video capabilities.

There could be other reasons for you not getting any video such as the 2 TVs having different HDCP capabilities. Do both TVs have the same video handling abilities?

There are no such thing as HDMI version 2.0b cables. The version numbers relate to hardware and not the cables. Your existing cables would in all probability have been fine as long as they are rated HIGH SPEED and no longer than 5m in length. Longer length cables can be problematic when conveying higher bandwidth UHD video over them. How long are these cables?

Anyway, this splitter should work as long as the other issues I've refered to above are dealt with accordingly:
2 Port HDMI 2.0 18G Splitter - from LINDY UK

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

The splitter is several years old. I guess this means a new one is required.

The TVs are exactly the same model. One of the cables is 10m long because it goes through to a different room, the other is short.

Was hoping to get one a little cheaper than that but I guess splitting 4K at 60hz is still quite an ask! :)

Thanks for the reply.

The splitter is several years old. I guess this means a new one is required.

The TVs are exactly the same model. One of the cables is 10m long because it goes through to a different room, the other is short.

Was hoping to get one a little cheaper than that but I guess splitting 4K at 60hz is still quite an ask! :)

You can get them for less, but that particular example is one I know works. THe 10m long cable may be a bit hit and miss though and you may need to try a different cable if you get issues with dropout when using it. The ideal solution would be to use HDMI over fibre for cable runs longer than 8m over which you'd be conveying UHD video, but this is very expensive and would cost you over £10 per meter for a cable. The longer the HDMI cable then the greater the chances of experiencing signal dropouts, this gets worse when dealing with the higher bandwidth signals associated with 4K UHD and HDR.

Unfortunately the 10m cable is unavoidable. Didn't realise length played a part in the quality of the feed. Believe the output is 4k but the actual programme is 1080i so don't know if that makes a difference?

Also found this one: eBay (£32.95)

After what you said though might just get the expensive one...

Unfortunately the 10m cable is unavoidable. Didn't realise length played a part in the quality of the feed. Believe the output is 4k but the actual programme is 1080i so don't know if that makes a difference?

You have to set the V6 to 2160p if wanting to access anything that is broadcast with a native 4K resolution. This unfortunately means that every channel is output at 2160p even if this isn't its native resolution. Even though it is only scaled up to this, the signal still requires more bandwidth.

The only channel with a native 4K resolution would be the BT Sport 4K UHD channel. There's a 2160p 24, 25 and 30 fps passthrough option for Netflix which will not result in non UHD channels be upscaled to 2160p. I'd tend to suggest accessing uhd Netflix content via the TV's own app rather than via the V6 though.

It is a matter of suck it and see with the cable. You may get away with it or you may need to look at a different cable? 10m is borderline. It isn't a matter of video quality being effected and you either get a signal or you don't. You are more prone to drop outs using longer cables and this is more so with higher bandwidth UHD than it was with HD or 3D signals.

Did you ever get this working?

I have got the cheaper splitter you mention (4:1 version rather than 2:1) and thought I'd bring it back into use for the V6 box.

It has resulted in a strange problem. When I turn my TV on using my Logitech Harmony remote, I get sound but no picture.

Each morning, I have programmed the Harmony to switch on the TV at 7am. When it does this, I get both picture and sound from the V6 box!

I am not sure how that is possible, but I'll need to keep experimenting.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have the Lindy splitter mentioned at the start of this page. However when connected to the V6 box I do not get an input led illuminated and no output signal to TV, any thoughts?

A new splitter would need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant due to the V6 box's UHD video capabilities.

There could be other reasons for you not getting any video such as the 2 TVs having different HDCP capabilities. Do both TVs have the same video handling abilities?

There are no such thing as HDMI version 2.0b cables. The version numbers relate to hardware and not the cables. Your existing cables would in all probability have been fine as long as they are rated HIGH SPEED and no longer than 5m in length. Longer length cables can be problematic when conveying higher bandwidth UHD video over them. How long are these cables?

Anyway, this splitter should work as long as the other issues I've refered to above are dealt with accordingly:
2 Port HDMI 2.0 18G Splitter - from LINDY UK
I have this splitter but cannot get it to work?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom