Virgin V6 HDMI Splitter / Ethernet Extender

Neodc1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Hope everyone is well.

I've just been upgraded to a V6 Virgin Box which has replaced my old Tivo Box.

We have 2 boxes in our house, and a third TV, wall mounted in a bedroom that gets light use. The old Tivo box was plugged into a HDMI Splitter, then one output went into the amp in our movie room, and the other output went into a HDMI-ethernet converter, went through around 15m of ethernet to its receiver and plugged into a 4k LG tv. This all worked perfectly until i got the Virgin V6 Box..

Using this V6 box, when it goes into standby, we do not get anything upon turning it back on, either locally using the HDMI splitter, or over the ethernet.

As i have a 4K Projector I've upgraded the kit a bit, i tried a 4k HDMI splitter / scaler to give me 4k in movie room, and 1080p using existing ethernet adaptors. That didn't work (same problem as below but i didn't know at the time), so I've just brought the Startech 4k ethernet kit that has a HDMI passthrough on. I have the same problem, when the V6 Box goes into standby and turns back on, nothing shows an image. It can be resolved instantly by powering off and back on the HDMI splitter. Then the projector and other tv work fine. All channels work including the 4K ones, so i don't think its HDCP, all cables are new and as far as i can see, everything is hdcp 2.2.

Spoke to startech, they're not sure what the problem is. Don't want to spend too much more on it but cannot have Virgin in this bedroom due to its location, however I've ran ethernet to it through the loft.

I've tried running the V6 box in 1080p and 4k, it does the same on both resolutions. The startech box is good as you can define the direction of the eeid, tried that both ways, startech say set it to 'rx' so it gets the eeid from the V6 Box. Its nothing to do with the ethernet stretch of the job as the startech has HDMI passthrough and that should work no matter if the ethernet is in or not.. I think its a handshake issue when the box goes into standby and i might need another bit of kit to keep the HDMI connection alive. What is strange is that the startech box is powered from the wall, so is always on, like a tv would be in 'standby' so I'm just not sure why its not holding the HDMI connection.

Hopefully someone will have an idea on how to help :)

Cheers

David

Ideally list the make and model numbers of all connected components.

You don’t mention what audio signal you need to send to the two destinations.

Will HDR be a consideration?

The TiVo boxes do seem less system ‘friendly’ than other PVR’s.

You could try an EDID manager such as the HDFury DR HDMI 4K on the Output of the TiVO box - though I suspect you would be better considering the HDFury Vertex2 or Diva (if you need to manage HDR) as an all in one fully customisable Distribution Amp, Down converter, EDID and HDCP manager.

Joe

Hi Joe, thanks for your reply. I've done some research and i was ending up on the HD Fury site myself.

To answer some questions, its a Virgin Tivo V6 Box, The StarTech box is a ST121HD20V, the amp is a Denon 2200, the projector is a Sony VPL-VL520ES, and in the other room, its a £400 4k LG, Nothing fancy. Also regarding the audio, my amp does ATMOS and the room has built in ceiling speakers etc, so it would be nice to get ATMOS when watching BT Sport Ultimate, but for 99% of time it watches normal TV so i could always just unplug the hdmi splitters if i really wanted ATMOS for 1 match etc, the LG in the other room just would run off its inbuilt speakers i guess.

Not fussed about HDR as my projector cannot handle HLG and it would only be sport (currently 2 channels on Virgin in 4k for that!?)

The Startech box has a flick switch for which direction it communicates EDID but that doesnt resolve my problem. Happy to buy a HD Fury, but theres no way i can justify buying the Vertex2 or Diva, the DR HDMI would have to be my only option if i was to add another bit of kit.

Thanks

David

I have the V6 box connected to my bedroom just using cables and I just change the cable when I want to view Virgin in the bedroom. I have tried the splitters I have but none work, guess they are old and not compatible.
I have run a short cable from the V6 to a suitable place at the side of the TV and 2 cables go from there to each of the TVs.
This is an easy way to check if everything works but I would like to find a splitter that works without spending money on trial and error. Any suggestions?

Hi, I gave up in the end as i could get everything to work in 1080p as with my old Tivo box, the V6 worked and split everything fine when forced to 1080p output, but i wanted it to be in 4K. After buying some pretty expensive HD Fury kit i still enountered problems, the vendor basically said i was battling against the HDCP enforced with the 4k resolution. I gave up in the end and left the TV running Freeview. He said i could buy something that was £300+ and he'd put a custom firmware on it to get round the problem but that just wasn't worth it.

David

The V6 box HDMI gets pretty erratic if you don’t use a Switch or Distribution Amp (splitter) with decent EDID, HDCP and possibly down conversion, you also have to factor in cable lengths.

The HDFury Integral2, Vertex or Vertex2 are all options.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom