Virgin V6 TV On Wifi Only?

broono83

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just signed up to Virgin after being on Sky Q for years. I have gone for the top bundle so I am getting 2 V6 boxes. I understand they are not a master and slave like Sky Q but 2 full boxes in their own right. Have read a number of differing stories online about the below so hoping you can clear up:

Question is, can the "main" V6 box in the living room be connected via Wifi only? Or does the coax that goes to the router also need to go to the V6 box? Issue is that the entry point for the virgin cable is in the corner of the house where I have my router currently and the tv is in the diagonally opposite corner ...

Similarly for the second V6 box, this will be in an upstairs bedroom so ideally I'd connect this via WiFi only if possible? I definitely don't want a coax run up here.

Its a new build house so WiFi signal is good everywhere.

TIA

To receive the cable channels you will require the cable to be attached. I don't think even the streaming services will work with just WiFi.

Virgin is a cable TV service, not ip TV, so content is delivered over their coax cable.

Oh dear. I may have to cancel then!

It seems the "wireless" part people are talking about only relates to the box's internet connection then?

Another question would be, is the coax that virgin use the same dimensions as an old school TV aerial coax? If so I could maybe use the house's built in aerial point in the living room to route to the upstairs V6 box as there is no physical aerial just a length of coax coiled in the loft.

The installers will supply their own cable, as it's not standard TV cable - although it looks very similar.

They should be able to find routes to wherever you need your sockets fitting, assuming you can get around the outside of your home and it's not a terrace or flat.

Just to close this off, the installer was able to connect into the existing aerial socket in the living room. He then connected from the loose coax coil in the loft down the wall into my bedroom alongside the power socket I had previously installed for the tv and sky q.

Signal test was as strong as normal and a happy customer here.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom